Looking a Side by Side .... I think

B

Bendboater

May 14, 2021
Bend, Oregon
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hi,

New to OHV's and this forum and I apologize for the length of this post.

We are looking to get a side by side and trying to determine what style, let alone what manufacture, to get.
We are in our 60's and "I think" we are mainly looking to ride old logging and mining roads in the western states (Oregon, Idaho, Utah, Arizona and perhaps British Columbia when the border reopens) as a way to more easily access hiking and boating (packrafting) opportunities without having to walk in so far beyond where we can reasonably drive our truck. We may occasionally ride in designated OHV systems (the Piaute and Arapeen trails in Utah are interesting possibilities). Maybe go to the sand dunes once or twice just to putt-putt around. Not interested in going fast, flying through the air, .............. or tipping over. We will need ground clearance though.
We live on a few acres (10) and a machine might occasionally be of assistance (towing/hauling) on our property, but this is not why we are getting it.
The absolute most important thing for us is to be able to bring our dog (50 pound Australian Shepherd) along. So a good, safe, place for the dog to ride and and especially a machine that isn't too loud. We can protect our ears, but I don't want to damage the dog's hearing.

We will be transporting the machine on our truck with a Diamondback carrier (ordered on Monday and should arrive late next week) so we can tow our travel trailer while hauling the side by side on the bedrails. The truck is a long bed 1 ton chevy diesel so it has the capability. The Diamondback carrier can hold machines up to 60" wide and has a weight capacity of 1600 pounds.

First we looked at the Polaris RZR, but I don't think we are interested in a machine of this type. It appears to be designed for a style of riding that I "don't think" we are interested in. No room for the dog and not well set up to contain her. And, worst of all, it's much too loud.
On paper, the Polaris General seems to be about right (though a few inches too wide for the Diamondback). But when I had a chance to hear one running, it was also too loud. Same with the Honda Talon.....too loud.
So then I started looking at the Rangers and Pioneers. The Ranger 1000 appears to be the quietest of that line and I like the ground clearance. But at 63" wide, it is wider than the Diamondback carrier is designed for. The Pioneer (700) is also quieter than the Ranger 1000 (the quietest of the Ranger line). I also considered the Pioneer 500 as it is smaller and lighter yet, but I am concerned about it being a bit top heavy and maybe not having quite enough power.

I am aware of the after market noise reducers and, no matter what machine I get I anticipate installing a reducer on it. We just don't like loud noise.

We don't need four seats, but the Pioneer 700-4 was intriguing in that the ROPS encloses the bed, making it much easier to devise a way to contain the dog (I don't want her jumping out). But maybe I can buy the additional parts to make the ROPS enclose the bed of the 700-2????

So what do you think:
- Am I on the right track in considering the Pioneer 700-4 (or -2 if I can extend the ROPS to include the bed)?
- I suspect that the deluxe version with power steering and paddle shifters would be the way to go?
- Will it have suitable ride quality to go on super rocky "roads" and be a comfortable enough ride without bottoming out all the time ..... as long as I don't go too fast? Can I (and should I) increase ground clearance?
- Without a low range, will it have enough torque to slowly go up things......like the ramps onto the truck?
- Are there other noises (besides motor noise) that could be an issue (enough to damage the dogs hearing) when the machine is moving?
- Any other thoughts or machine recommendations?

Thank you for any input you may have.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
For what your doing i would go with the 700-4 and get at least the rear soft panel and use the side nets for the sides and that would be ideal for your dog. I have black labs anf do that with my P1K5

B

Bendboater

May 14, 2021
Bend, Oregon
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
A rear soft panel to reduce noise or dust or ?????????
I was planning on adding a windshield and a roof.

Reactions: Blownzuki
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
A rear soft panel to reduce noise or dust or ?????????
Keep the dog in.
The side nets will form a pretty good enclosure.
When I read your post above I thought a mini truck cargo net across the back would work.
But it's been a long time since I had a mini-truck, not sure what size the bed nets come in any more.

Reactions: Blownzuki
Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
Welcome from the mud holes of WNY. The 7hundo is a solid machine for reals. 😎
#ntc😉

Reactions: Haldog77

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!