P500 Looking for a front bumper

Dp5hunter

Dp5hunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2016
Hazlehurst Mississippi
Ownership

1. 500
I couldn't get a winch to fit behind the Bison because it angles towards the hood so it leaves little space. You would have still only 5 1/2 inches between the rad protector and the bumper frame tube and 8 1/2 inches between the tubes if you were to remove the plate. So you're stuck with the under mount option with the Honda mounting plate. I can still unlock and pull my winch cable by stretching over the hood if you're stuck in the mud. helps if someone is holding on to your feet :) ....With the weight of the winch lower, it helpswith the high CoG somewhat. I did write to Bison about their bumper shortfall. Unfortunate since it offers good protection and after having done a lot of bush wacking, it is well built...
Ok here I try again. If I gut the Bison brush guard and cut the RG plate of and extended the vertical bars out on eather side where the winch is on the upper winch mount position about 3". Do you think it would be possible to do?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Reactions: JTW
Seg

Seg

Feb 18, 2016
Notre-Dame de la Salette, Qc, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Ok here I try again. If I gut the Bison brush guard and cut the RG plate of and extended the vertical bars out on eather side where the winch is on the upper winch mount position about 3". Do you think it would be possible to do?
I see. And weld the bumper onto your winch mount? I think it would. You might want to call Bison and see about their return policy. You could order and do your measurement. If it works, great if not, return before you cut?

Reactions: Dp5hunter
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Honda's front bumper
is cheap & tweaks easy
....I like the look....of it
...but it's not affective
as a bumper....it's cosmetics
.....I hit the bottom of it
& it tweaked the top
.....just sayin

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I think I would get the Bison if the "bison" guard on front was not there...My winch actually protects the radiator somewhat...I just hate to put that winch low and spend the extra for the Honda mount. I like the strongmade but it looks heavy and the front suspension on the 500 is not great to begin with...is it pretty heavy?

I feel the lower the winch
the more effective it works....
yes...that's why I went with
the honda bumper.....the others
are heavy & front shocks on p500
are the same they put on......
Mopeds.....haha

Reactions: SBuckJ
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I feel the lower the winch
the more effective it works....
yes...that's why I went with
the honda bumper.....the others
are heavy & front shocks on p500
are the same they put on......
Mopeds.....haha

I went with the Honda bumper but KFI winch and mount so it's up high.
Low mount probably does work better for pulling you out of crap.

Reactions: rocmar and joeymt33
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I went with the Honda bumper but KFI winch and mount so it's up high.
Low mount probably does work better for pulling you out of crap.

I thought about low position also, but then driving in mud or snow, it will be always exposed to those nature elements , so higher position was my choice also.

Dp5hunter

Dp5hunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2016
Hazlehurst Mississippi
Ownership

1. 500
I see. And weld the bumper onto your winch mount? I think it would. You might want to call Bison and see about their return policy. You could order and do your measurement. If it works, great if not, return before you cut?
Souds good thanks.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I thought about low position also, but then driving in mud or snow, it will be always exposed to those nature elements , so higher position was my choice also.
Yep, I thought the same thing. And I've had no issues pulling logs out of my way or pulling the P5 out of a couple stuck situations.

Reactions: trigger and solrus
advertisement
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Yep, I thought the same thing. And I've had no issues pulling logs out of my way or pulling the P5 out of a couple stuck situations.
It's logic
lower the pull
more leverage....
It's trial & error for me...
& have no problem admitting
something don't work...
or someone else's idea
is better.....
just sayin.....
it's a ego thing....
IMO

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Gravity.....to some members
only counts when it benifit
Them.
not saying a higher mounted
winch don't pull things...logs
out....
I'm saying lower winch pull
is more effective. .....

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Logic....Winston
sit on ground....pull with rope
something heavy...dig heels in
pull.....
now do the same thing.....
standing....
no questions on wats
more effective
it's a no brainer

J

JTW

Gravity.....to some members
only counts when it benifit
Them.
not saying a higher mounted
winch don't pull things...logs
out....
I'm saying lower winch pull
is more effective. .....

What?? I would think if you're pulling straight or upward, it shouldn't matter where the winch is. The winch will pull X pounds regardless. As long as the angle of your cable is level and not pulling you down into whatever you're stuck on or in. A lower winch mounting point would only help to insure you're pulling upward more often.. The only leverage gained, would essentially just be the lifting of the frontend, thus a reduction in drag when pulling. I would think the benefit of having the winch more accessible and protected from the elements would greatly outweigh what little leverage advantage you might gain.

Reactions: Dp5hunter
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
What?? I would think if you're pulling straight or upward, it shouldn't matter where the winch is. The winch will pull X pounds regardless. As long as the angle of your cable is level and not pulling you down into whatever you're stuck on or in. A lower winch mounting point would only help to insure you're pulling upward more often.. The only leverage gained, would essentially just be the lifting of the frontend, thus a reduction in drag when pulling. I would think the benefit of having the winch more accessible and protected from the elements would greatly outweigh what little leverage advantage you might gain.
For what we're all doing (except for those plowing snow) it really doesn't matter, any mount will pull our little SxS out of its jamb usually. The low mount however is inaccessible, and in an area that catches all the trash, goes in the mud and fully under water at creek crossings, and the wiring is more vulnerable. But all mounts work.

Reactions: trigger and JTW

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!