Looking for an awning

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you decide to go wide and hang it over your man door on the side the angle it comes out will come into play. You’ll need to be able to open that door and not have the sharp edge of your door want to catch and tear the fabric. I’ve seen a few cookie cutter toyhaulers have smalle plastic wheels attached to the outside top corner of the their side doors for that reason.

J

JTW

If you decide to go wide and hang it over your man door on the side the angle it comes out will come into play. You’ll need to be able to open that door and not have the sharp edge of your door want to catch and tear the fabric. I’ve seen a few cookie cutter toyhaulers have smalle plastic wheels attached to the outside top corner of the their side doors for that reason.
Yeah... that’s a good point I’d forgotten about. Haven’t messed with an awning since the horse trailer days and that’s been a lot of years ago now.

Reactions: Tigermark
popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah... that’s a good point I’d forgotten about. Haven’t messed with an awning since the horse trailer days and that’s been a lot of years ago now.

If you go powered, they typically go out pretty flat, and might clear your door, mine in my enclosed is not powered and I cannot put it as flat as some friends that have powered ones. I bought one from Craigslist from some one parting out a motor home from the early 2000s. It was cheap at $100, but I regret after going through the hassle to install it and seal everything up that I didn’t do a powered unit that didn’t have the legs coming down at a 45deg angle as supports. They are always in the way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

Did some measuring and I’m at 22’ 8” from the stud to stud I’d prefer to use. But looking at the pics I have from the build I’m wondering now how they attach. Do they tap into the horizontal brace at the top and bottom or do they screw t the upright braces?
5B1C531E 56C7 4550 A60E 671A0D3A54A7
551EF5DB 3749 4A53 810D CD53958CF3DC

839CD30D E9D5 441B 8DE3 D9499C184D83
98C6BCCF C9C7 445F 9C33 E2AF9E49D70A
38792394 E76E 4393 802C E181F712C167

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
This is what I’d go with, if you looked around you could probably find cheaper, you’ve got a clean slate on the side so go wide as possible, no regrets later. Comes complete. Has awning light too, not a big deal because it’s cheap separately but can be a pain to install, it’s already in this.
Spendy but worth every penny, you’re wife will thank you!
Btw you will need a fabric channel for the camper either way. They are more expensive online then Camper place locally because of the shipping.
Also you can trim the roller up to about 3” to line up with wall studs if needed. Custom fabric cut to exact is reasonable as well.
View attachment 161000

In all seriousness, I believe the awning on our coach is a Carefree brand. Ours is a 1010 model trailer we bought new, and our awning has worked flawlessly since new.

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-3
J

JTW

If you go powered, they typically go out pretty flat, and might clear your door, mine in my enclosed is not powered and I cannot put it as flat as some friends that have powered ones. I bought one from Craigslist from some one parting out a motor home from the early 2000s. It was cheap at $100, but I regret after going through the hassle to install it and seal everything up that I didn’t do a powered unit that didn’t have the legs coming down at a 45deg angle as supports. They are always in the way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s a good point... I’ll call intech and see what they install and see what Camping world says on them.

Reactions: mjn
mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That’s a good point... I’ll call intech and see what they install and see what Camping world says on them.

dang... I didn't notice how close the top of your door is to the roof.. definitely better do some checking there for sure.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Vertical braces. There’s screw holes up the arms. then like said you need the fabric channel that screws across the top and fabric slides into to.
Carefree has pitch control on the awning so you can change how straight the awning comes out.
You are close. I’m under a foot from door to awning I believe and no issues or door roller.

Last edited:
J

JTW

Vertical braces. There’s screw holes up the arms. then like said you need the fabric channel that screws across the top and fabric slides into to.
Carefree has pitch control on the awning so you can change how straight the awning comes out.
You are close. I’m under a foot from door to awning I believe and no issues or door roller.
So if they screw to the vertical braces, do I have to have a custom cut length awning?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
So if they screw to the vertical braces, do I have to have a custom cut length awning?
That’s what I was saying earlier. The roller can be cut to any desired length. You can get custom cut fabric. when an awning says say 18 foot that’s not fabric it’s the arms width, but usually it’s a little off of that by a couple inches either way. You have to look through the add and I’d usually message the seller.
also the fabric comes a little smaller then the roller, like I said you can usually cut down roller a little bit and still use that fabric.
sounds complicated but it’s not too bad. Gotta pay attention to all the numbers.
Once you get over about 19 ft it starts to get expensive

Reactions: Tigermark and JTW
J

JTW

That’s what I was saying earlier. The roller can be cut to any desired length. You can get custom cut fabric. when an awning says say 18 foot that’s not fabric it’s the arms width, but usually it’s a little off of that by a couple inches either way. You have to look through the add and I’d usually message the seller.
also the fabric comes a little smaller then the roller, like I said you can usually cut down roller a little bit and still use that fabric.
sounds complicated but it’s not too bad. Gotta pay attention to all the numbers.
I see what you’re saying.. I just can’t imagine intech cuts down all the awnings they put on trailers.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I see what you’re saying.. I just can’t imagine intech cuts down all the awnings they put on trailers.
They probably go to a different brace. Smaller size. If the inner wall wasn’t up you could go any size fairly easy.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Wise Men Still Seek "Him"
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I don't Know if You have found an awning yet but my (two cents worth) is that I would not have anything but a power awning if I was buying one today, it has been my experience that the thing that kills an awning is wind in a storm and you always get caught at the last minute trying to put it down before a storm comes or in the middle of the night trying to put it down in the middle of a storm, my truck camper has two power awnings and I can put them up or down and I can do it from inside the camper We love them and they work great, Good Luck,,,

J

JTW

I don't Know if You have found an awning yet but my (two cents worth) is that I would not have anything but a power awning if I was buying one today, it has been my experience that the thing that kills an awning is wind in a storm and you always get caught at the last minute trying to put it down before a storm comes or in the middle of the night trying to put it down in the middle of a storm, my truck camper has two power awnings and I can put them up or down and I can do it from inside the camper We love them and they work great, Good Luck,,,
That’s a good point

RB3offroad

RB3offroad

Vendor
Nov 2, 2017
Tempe, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m thinking 16-20’ just depends on what kind of deal I find.
Check camping world plus they have a 15% off joining their email I believe

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!