Looking for Chainsaw suggestions and Vehicle mounts.

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’d like to purchase a saw for the 1000, especially since I’ll be doing a lot of trail riding alone and would prefer not having to turn around due to fallen trees. I’d also like to see what and how everyone mounts their saws in their rigs. Pictures welcome. Many thanks.

J

JTW

The little electric dewalt I have is good for small stuff.. but if I were really going deep and particularly alone.. I’d take my stihl. I went in to buy a little 170 and left with a lot more saw. But for an inexpensive trail saw. I think the 170 would be a really good option. But honestly, the weight difference is negligible between most any of them.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
second or third the 170, couple of the guys have them and we got one for the club its a nice lite limbing saw has a bunch more power than the electrics and you can just fill the tank, a lot tougher to charge a battery on the trail, and its only about 150, would get the full stihl case to keep the crap off it, that what I do just leave it in the back. I use a sawsawl and brush blade for stuff up to 2 or 3 inches, better to keep the saw out of the dirt and crap it will last longer, but having the saw backup for bigger is a lot faster.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
I'm also curious how the battery powered ones do?
i had the battery powered craftsman and it was good for up to about 2.5-3 inches hardwood but not that great. a good hatchet would be about the same and easier to carry.

my buddy has p500 with one of those totes bolted to rear rack. his chainsaw 20 quart and 3 gal jug of gas inside along with some recovery gear.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
for the places you're going I'd take a Stihl. Chances are you'll need more than an electric saw can handle.
I’ve had an Echo battery saw for 4 years. It’ll do anything my gas saws do. I’ve never needed more than two battery’s before I was shot:(. Little noise and a lot less vibration.

Most of the time you’re only making a couple quick cuts and it’s nice not to have to mess with an engine. I also have their blower and trimmer. Very happy with them.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A battery operated reciprocating saw with a 8” wood blade will cut a lot of tree pretty fast. So what if you have to make a second pass.

If you are just clearing brush, small trees, this would be what I’d do.

Reactions: rtn001 and 100Acre
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a dewalt 20V 12" chainsaw (same as @nbomar ). It has come in handy several times on the trails and I use it around the house for quick cleanup. I primarily chose because I already had the dewalt batteries and I could buy the bare tool. I have read where others have had a lot of success swapping out the 12" bar to a 14" bar as well.

Would I pick up this one over a gas if I were going to be cutting up trees for firewood - no but to clear a tree on the trail it works great - now if you have a oak that you cant hug around - this is not the saw but I would not take the time to cut that with a gas saw either.

Mounts - still have not found a mount or a way to mount to the pioneer that I am happy with. I currently have in a husky canvas bag that I put in the bed when I am carrying. Depending on the year of your Pioneer you may have the nerf bars in the back - I don't but if I did that is where I would look to mount.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
40 v Lowe’s electric with extra battery, since already had their other tools. It gets the job done better than I thought for the daily rides in OHV park, but slow for big stuff. Northern tool saw mount. Wedge to prevent saw Binding, don’t want to abandon it in the woods.

A35D8728 634C 4A41 877D 3901A9A9F27D 36CD8885 4840 4DF9 AA9C B46847916115

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!