Looking for Chainsaw suggestions and Vehicle mounts.

Flouncehunter

Flouncehunter

Jul 11, 2019
The Louse
Apparently someone is getting trolled here. We’re a big family on this privately owned forum and don’t take kindly to folks messing with our own. Forgive me if I’m wrong and I would say normally say be welcome here, but I too noticed a similarity between yourself and Vart. If I am incorrect, then please feel welcome.

All I did was make an innocuous remark about woodlice-weakened wood, and that pwnguy accuses me of stalking him across multiple forums. Does he always do this? I’m not being made to feel very welcome here...

And how am I similar to vart? We’re both new?

Reactions: rtn001 and 100Acre
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
All I did was make an innocuous remark about woodlice-weakened wood, and that pwnguy accuses me of stalking him across multiple forums. Does he always do this? I’m not being made to feel very welcome here...

And how am I similar to vart? We’re both new?
Location and number of posts. He’s in the Palouse. You’re in the Louse....that’s all and like I said, if I am wrong, please forgive me. I think @PNWGuy accusing both of you continues to solidify that you may be one and the same under different names. Of course I tend to be a little paranoid by nature anyway. After all I do believe in Sasquatch and Gnomes....

Cal

Cal

Apr 15, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm also curious how the battery powered ones do?
I bought a Ryobi 14" 40v and I love it! The first thing I did when I bought it was cut down a 40-foot tall tree. Then I cut the whole tree up and still had battery left over. That was enough for me.

RYOBI 14 in. 40-Volt Brushless Lithium-Ion Cordless Chainsaw, 4 Ah Battery and Charger Included-RY40530 - The Home Depot

That's all I carry in my Pioneer on the trails. My father has a Stihl MS290 that I can use if I need a bigger saw, but I haven't needed it yet. I carry it in this case: Power King Universal Chainsaw Case-CSCAU - The Home Depot . Which has storage for oil, extra chains, wrench, extra batteries, etc. I bring with 3 fully charges batteries and my small inverter and a charger, though I haven't needed them yet.

I wanted to get one of those external mounts from Kolpin or Northern Tool, but so far I've happily kept it in the case especially if my 3 and 5-year-olds are with me in the machine.

I also bought the 40v trimmer from Ryobi and it has more power than the gas one that I had prior, and it came with another charger and battery. I can do the whole yard in about a half battery. I trim around 20 trees, 3 small sheds, a swing set, and my house (2 acres). I have been very impressed with these cordless Ryobi tools.

D

d1attaway

Oct 15, 2018
Dime Box, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’d like to purchase a saw for the 1000, especially since I’ll be doing a lot of trail riding alone and would prefer not having to turn around due to fallen trees. I’d also like to see what and how everyone mounts their saws in their rigs. Pictures welcome. Many thanks.
We have an 80v Greenworks Pro and it works great. I've cut logs all the way up to 24".

Reactions: 100Acre
Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I carried my 180 Stihl last year on my homemade extender but after running into storm damage on the trails I’m packing my 044 now. Here is a photo of my 180 on a trip. The green straps were to offset the huge load I was carrying at the time.
079C4805 EE55 4623 82E4 5D23C8AA474D E44DA817 9775 4AA1 BD63 150AD2B44C42

Reactions: Johnny and 100Acre
B

Brandyalexander55

Feb 10, 2019
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I’d like to purchase a saw for the 1000, especially since I’ll be doing a lot of trail riding alone and would prefer not having to turn around due to fallen trees. I’d also like to see what and how everyone mounts their saws in their rigs. Pictures welcome. Many thanks.

There are a a few options on Amazon.

Reactions: 100Acre
X

Xbow

May 24, 2019
Washington State
Ownership

1. 500
Not sure as to the size of the trees you are talking about. I live in the PNW on the Olympic Peninsula in the State of Washington. The trees here get to by 4' dia. Electric just doesn't cut it. I use an 026 Sthil that I had ported and the muffler altered. It's noisier but has a lot more power. I run a 20" bar. I also pack along a Sthil hedge trimmer with a 24" blade. Beats the heck out of a machete. I mount my saw and everything else on my machines so that they do not hang over either the side or the back of my machine. It only takes one tree/branch/rock/etc to grab onto your saw to ruin your whole day! Just try to keep them out of harms way. I learned the hard way. I broke the handle on my 021 by backing into a tree with my saw hung off the back of my atv. Whoops! Lesson learned! I hope the pics come through with this reply. Gives you an idea how I did it. I have two separate mounts. One for the saw and one for the trimmer. I can take off the trimmer and install a cargo box if I want to.

20190718 102008 20190718 102119 20190718 102149

advertisement
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I bought a Ryobi 14" 40v and I love it! The first thing I did when I bought it was cut down a 40-foot tall tree. Then I cut the whole tree up and still had battery left over. That was enough for me.

RYOBI 14 in. 40-Volt Brushless Lithium-Ion Cordless Chainsaw, 4 Ah Battery and Charger Included-RY40530 - The Home Depot

That's all I carry in my Pioneer on the trails. My father has a Stihl MS290 that I can use if I need a bigger saw, but I haven't needed it yet. I carry it in this case: Power King Universal Chainsaw Case-CSCAU - The Home Depot . Which has storage for oil, extra chains, wrench, extra batteries, etc. I bring with 3 fully charges batteries and my small inverter and a charger, though I haven't needed them yet.

I wanted to get one of those external mounts from Kolpin or Northern Tool, but so far I've happily kept it in the case especially if my 3 and 5-year-olds are with me in the machine.

I also bought the 40v trimmer from Ryobi and it has more power than the gas one that I had prior, and it came with another charger and battery. I can do the whole yard in about a half battery. I trim around 20 trees, 3 small sheds, a swing set, and my house (2 acres). I have been very impressed with these cordless Ryobi tools.
That’s impressive, what’s the weight as compared to a gas saw of comparable size?

Reactions: Cal
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I would suggest a top handle arborists saw. They are very compact very light and tend to pack a good bit of power into a small package.
That’s what I bought for my P5. Fits great, but pricy little buggers....:eek:

Reactions: GrnP500 and Ohio4x4
Cal

Cal

Apr 15, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That’s impressive, what’s the weight as compared to a gas saw of comparable size?
The only saw that I have to compare it to is that Stihl MS 290. It is much lighter than that, but it is also a much smaller saw. It seems pretty light to me.

Another difference is the chain on it is narrower than most of the gas-powered chainsaws. Because of this the chains generally don't last as long, but they are cheaper to purchase. I think I have four chains and the wrench stores in the handle. It's pretty quick and easy to change it out.

Reactions: Montecresto
S

slinky750

Dec 1, 2018
Rouses Point NY
I've had the Milwaukee saw for about a year now. I carry it on my sled and in the pioneer but haven't come up with a good mount yet. Hoping to figure out something soon. I also bought the hedge trimmer to clean up all the small whip stuff that hangs into the trails. The 12amp batter lasts for ever!

Reactions: Cal

420Rancher

Jun 29, 2019
Innisfil
1cadaeac0d0b6adf791cc5e46475cf8c
No special mount but this worked well for my needs and i have organized dry storage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mudder and Cal
J80

J80

Lifetime Member
Dec 29, 2018
WNC
Any Stihl and your good to go

Badblubug

Badblubug

Oct 28, 2017
North woods
Ownership

1. 500
I bought a Milwaukee and have tested on some trees around the house. I'm very impressed. Now a hardcase to protect it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have a MIlwaukee also, great saw...highly recommend

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!