P1000 Looking for recommendations on tire chains

C

Cook

Feb 12, 2016
Colorado
Never used chains on tires before and did not realize how many options there are to consider. Cheap brand vs good brand. 2 link vs 4 link. Ladder vs diamond pattern. Rubber vs metal spring tensioners.

Quad Boss seems to make all sizes for ATV/UTV use but I have seen several complaints of breakage for the rubber tensioners they employ.

I intend to use chains to help with snow plowing. I get a lot of windblown snow that seems particularly difficult to drive or walk in. Thanks!

Reactions: Dgrinde
scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
I like the diamond shaped kind i think they're made by grizzlar.. I think i saw them on amazon

P

pkcal

Mar 6, 2016
Ohio
tire studs instead!!!

I ran two-link ladder style v-bar chains from tirechains.com (Johnstown PA mfr) on my Ranger 800 for the past 4yrs. Fast service, great quality, purchased the spring loaded metal spider tensioners from them as well. Take the time to get them fitted tight (may need to break links to adjust length due to variance in tire actual v. nominal sizes), deflate tires when fitting then reinflate and run them hard. They made a world of difference on the Ranger (especially with Denali pro 72" plow lightening the Ranger rear end) and I kept them when I sold it so expect same benefit when fitting to the 1k5 I just picked up next winter.

Reactions: Dgrinde
dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
I can't wait till they come out with the boss plow bracket for our 1000's

D

davelohman

Apr 20, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Never used chains on tires before and did not realize how many options there are to consider. Cheap brand vs good brand. 2 link vs 4 link. Ladder vs diamond pattern. Rubber vs metal spring tensioners.

Quad Boss seems to make all sizes for ATV/UTV use but I have seen several complaints of breakage for the rubber tensioners they employ.

I intend to use chains to help with snow plowing. I get a lot of windblown snow that seems particularly difficult to drive or walk in. Thanks!

What did you end up with? Did you get both front and rear? I just mounted my plow which I haven't needed yet.

C

Cook

Feb 12, 2016
Colorado
What did you end up with? Did you get both front and rear? I just mounted my plow which I haven't needed yet.
The truth is, I haven't made a purchase yet. Since I'm still waiting on BOSS to release their plow mount for the 1000 -- now it is supposed to be next week -- I haven't had the necessity of chains. I did find some diamond type chains at a site called tirechainsrequired that look pretty good to me, though pricey. See them at 27x11-12 ATV Studded Diamond Tire Chain That and the Grizzlar are the the top contenders right now. Still accepting nominations though!

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have been picking up pickup tire chains at garage sales and thift stores for super cheap and just cutting them down. I bought a set for my 700 front tires for about $5. I'm still working on the set for the back.

RyanOrange3

RyanOrange3

Oct 13, 2016
MN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Those look aggressive! Dang!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!