Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Been to Taylor park (all mostly sharp rock elevation 14,000')
Any idea how the P5’s might do on those trails???

F

fritzy-00_1

Oct 13, 2018
dexter new york
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-2
I’m new to SxS’s, I have a new P-500 and want to change out the stock tires for something with a sturdier construction. My primary concern is the ability to get back to my truck and the least of my concerns is speed. My primary use will be on a hunting lease, secondary will be to head up to Ride Royal Blue for a day ride. My first accessory was a Terra 45 winch, I figure tires should come next. I will be hunting on a new lease in Tennessee elevation 1,250’ - 1,750’ so getting up and down the hills will be critical. I also expect downed trees, small streams, rocks, hard pack dirt, and uneven terrain. I’ll also take it to Texas where there will be gravel/loose dirt roads/some sand, generally flat terrain, some mud, and water (to the floor boards). When I’m in Tennessee I’ll be hunting by myself, and this is my main reason for wanting bulletproof tires. Although I’ll have fix-a-flat, tire repair kit, jack, and a pump, I won’t have a spare until I get new tires. I don’t think I need really tall tires, 25”-26” is what I’m thinking, I am concerned that many have said the P-500 is tippy but I would not mind a bit more clearance. I’m not too concerned about 50” trails but I have a 60” wide trailer and would like some room on each side. Also I don’t think I’ll be venturing into fine sand, deep mud, or snow although if all else is covered the ability to deal with these would be a plus but not required. I’m leaning toward Ripsaw’s, after reading so many positive comments here and being told with a P-500 you could limp back to camp on a flat! That said I’m flexible.

So based on my environment, I’m looking for your experienced recommendation on tires, wheels (stock or offset, 5+2 vs 4+3), spacers, same tires on all four corners from a size and steering perspective (I understand the value of tire rotation and spare compatibility), and any other modifications that might be needed. I’ve read a ton of threads on tires and wheels some were pretty old and there may be better options now.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
I bought my P-500 last march I have changed out my wheels and tires right now I have 26x9x14 on the front and 26x11x14 on the rear the wife and I ride a lot in Adirondacks and have also rode two days on the Hatfield & McCoy trails in West Virginia I have put on 1 inch wheel spacers to widen and am going to go to 27x10x14 on the front and 27x11x14 on the rear also they will be 8 ply and dot approved for on road/off road use if you want check out tires go atvtires.com

dtng

dtng

Sep 25, 2018
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500
There is a mixed consensus about the need for beadlocks on a light unit like the P-500. I have them and have no major complaints and hope the peace of mind not pulling a bead justifies the additional maintenance required.
A torque wrench is a very important tool to have if you want to purchase beadlocks 10 ft/lbs on each bolt to hold the bead ring on, if you don't like torque wrenches, I wouldn't recommend beadlocks.
While these are great at keeping the bead on, at least the STI HD Beadlocks that I purchased also trapped dirt and mud at Takeover last year, and I when I got home I noticed I was loosing about 2 PSI per day on one tire. I think I have since solved that problem, but have not been in as severe conditions as Takeover. Here is a link to what I did.
Beadlocks Leaking - Fixed
No problem with a torque, I have 3 for different ranges. so did the dirt get between the bead and the bead ring?

Reactions: DaddyDubbs
Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
29CF2A15 8F00 4AD7 9E98 DA7610AAA21C
I’m new to SxS’s, I have a new P-500 and want to change out the stock tires for something with a sturdier construction. My primary concern is the ability to get back to my truck and the least of my concerns is speed. My primary use will be on a hunting lease, secondary will be to head up to Ride Royal Blue for a day ride. My first accessory was a Terra 45 winch, I figure tires should come next. I will be hunting on a new lease in Tennessee elevation 1,250’ - 1,750’ so getting up and down the hills will be critical. I also expect downed trees, small streams, rocks, hard pack dirt, and uneven terrain. I’ll also take it to Texas where there will be gravel/loose dirt roads/some sand, generally flat terrain, some mud, and water (to the floor boards). When I’m in Tennessee I’ll be hunting by myself, and this is my main reason for wanting bulletproof tires. Although I’ll have fix-a-flat, tire repair kit, jack, and a pump, I won’t have a spare until I get new tires. I don’t think I need really tall tires, 25”-26” is what I’m thinking, I am concerned that many have said the P-500 is tippy but I would not mind a bit more clearance. I’m not too concerned about 50” trails but I have a 60” wide trailer and would like some room on each side. Also I don’t think I’ll be venturing into fine sand, deep mud, or snow although if all else is covered the ability to deal with these would be a plus but not required. I’m leaning toward Ripsaw’s, after reading so many positive comments here and being told with a P-500 you could limp back to camp on a flat! That said I’m flexible.

So based on my environment, I’m looking for your experienced recommendation on tires, wheels (stock or offset, 5+2 vs 4+3), spacers, same tires on all four corners from a size and steering perspective (I understand the value of tire rotation and spare compatibility), and any other modifications that might be needed. I’ve read a ton of threads on tires and wheels some were pretty old and there may be better options now.

25 inch Blackwaters. They’ll take you in and get you out
Caper

dtng

dtng

Sep 25, 2018
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500
I have 27x9x12 and 27x11x12 GBC Dirt Commanders. Used stock rims bought dust rubber centers from p700. Been to Taylor park (all mostly sharp rock elevation 14,000') Piaute Utah. Southfork Colorado. My Texas deer lease. I am still 50 inch legal and ride is much better then stock. Was going to get the suspension swapped but after all that riding no need. Have not had a puncture or any issues with the tire but have a full spare just in case mounted on passanger side of back rack. About 850 miles on a 2018 p500.
Thanks Tbee, any issue with it being tippy,

dtng

dtng

Sep 25, 2018
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500
I run blackwaters and my riding buddy runs the ripsaws. I find both to be very durable and a huge upgrade over stock. Seems like the ripsaws are slightly smoother and better on hard pack and rocks, while the blackwaters are better in softer terrain and mud. Neither tire really outshines the other and at the end of the day we both get thru the same trails and get back to the truck. The blackwaters do have a slightly rougher ride on pavement and hardpack, but it's not bad at all. As others have mentioned, the bighorns and roctanes both have a really good jack of all trades tread pattern, although I'd say they are weakest in deeper sloppy mud. Great thi g about the utv tire market...we have a ton of options...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Thanks for the comparison.

dtng

dtng

Sep 25, 2018
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500
I bought my P-500 last march I have changed out my wheels and tires right now I have 26x9x14 on the front and 26x11x14 on the rear the wife and I ride a lot in Adirondacks and have also rode two days on the Hatfield & McCoy trails in West Virginia I have put on 1 inch wheel spacers to widen and am going to go to 27x10x14 on the front and 27x11x14 on the rear also they will be 8 ply and dot approved for on road/off road use if you want check out tires go atvtires.com
Thanks for the link to atvtires.com i'll check them out

DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
No problem with a torque, I have 3 for different ranges. so did the dirt get between the bead and the bead ring?
Yes, you can see it in the link in post #34 in thi thread. Partially my fault as I didn’t re torque before going to Takeover
Yes, you can see the dirt/mud residue behind the ring in the link in post #34 in this thread. This could have been partially my fault as I didn't re-torque nuts prior to going to Takeover. After cleaning, the bead seal has really helped, as re-torquing after about 20 miles.

Reactions: dtng
DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
If you are thinking of Evo's, they do tend to run undersize, especially running low air pressure. So far you have at least ten different tire recommendations from various members. @Chooglin said you'd get a lot of recommendations :D. I went through a similar sorting out before I took the leap myself.
Personally, I like the Evo's and they have not let me down, but have no experience with the other tires mentioned here, and would not think of bashing them. If I had an issue, I would be sure to tell you, as I mentioned about the beadlocks, actually not sure if the added maintenance is worth it.
If you are looking for more photos of the Evo's mounted on a P-5 you can see a few pics on P500 - 27x9 tires all around on stock rims post #17

Reactions: Chooglin and dtng
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
blackwaters look pretty cool too

have to buy a set my self, lately with all the choices it seems like overwhelming decision. i checked all the big places but most were over 500 with tax, most dont charge shipping but for the same tires i want at motoxall, 435 no tax or shipping, they have all the brands and are having a sale on maxxis if thats one you like.

W

Wickedwood62

Nov 22, 2017
Ishpeming Michigan
Ownership

1. 700-2

I got ripsaws in 26 inch great all around tire almost 1500 miles hardly no wear yet

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
5E38B30C 7B76 4357 9415 FAF77DBA00B8
Thanks Caper, did you need spacers or offset wheels? I'm real interested in the getting out part
Nope I have the stock rims. We have 50’’ poles on some old rail lines. So I have to keep it around 50’’ Going into ruts, the Blackwaters will pull me back up and out. We have everything on our trails in Cape Breton. This time of year they can be really muddy. Clay and that sticky black mud. So far so good. No winch yet. Oops. Probably shouldn’t say that. Haha. But some trails are all shale and sharp. They make you more confident. I don’t have a locker, YET, but one of these days. The 500 is an unreal bike. She’ll pull through. But tires make a huge difference. The right tires for what your driving through. And up here for me it’s Blackwaters. Hope it helps. And your going to love your bike. One of our better trails.
Caper

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
None.
There is always a pucker Factor when you get off camber but it's been fine
I bought mine in ‘14 and Honda wanted me to switch shocks because some guys were flipping them doing donuts. Aaa , no thanks. The new ones are a bit lower . But I haven’t had any problems with tipping. Haha. So far. Kidding. All good. Sometime’s it can get a little scary but when you pull out of it , it’s like , COOL. Haha. You’ll love it.
Caper

Reactions: dtng
lwhite571

lwhite571

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2016
Central, IN
Ownership

1. 500
I have a set of rims that are 4 + 3 inch and with 26x11x12 on back that kinda ad's a few inches on the back which is cool for the Indiana trails but I've seen the western trails on TV and if your not 50" , then your prob not getting thru.

Reactions: Caper and dtng
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!