P500 Looking for tire recommendations, here's how I'll use them

dtng

dtng

Sep 25, 2018
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500
I’m new to SxS’s, I have a new P-500 and want to change out the stock tires for something with a sturdier construction. My primary concern is the ability to get back to my truck and the least of my concerns is speed. My primary use will be on a hunting lease, secondary will be to head up to Ride Royal Blue for a day ride. My first accessory was a Terra 45 winch, I figure tires should come next. I will be hunting on a new lease in Tennessee elevation 1,250’ - 1,750’ so getting up and down the hills will be critical. I also expect downed trees, small streams, rocks, hard pack dirt, and uneven terrain. I’ll also take it to Texas where there will be gravel/loose dirt roads/some sand, generally flat terrain, some mud, and water (to the floor boards). When I’m in Tennessee I’ll be hunting by myself, and this is my main reason for wanting bulletproof tires. Although I’ll have fix-a-flat, tire repair kit, jack, and a pump, I won’t have a spare until I get new tires. I don’t think I need really tall tires, 25”-26” is what I’m thinking, I am concerned that many have said the P-500 is tippy but I would not mind a bit more clearance. I’m not too concerned about 50” trails but I have a 60” wide trailer and would like some room on each side. Also I don’t think I’ll be venturing into fine sand, deep mud, or snow although if all else is covered the ability to deal with these would be a plus but not required. I’m leaning toward Ripsaw’s, after reading so many positive comments here and being told with a P-500 you could limp back to camp on a flat! That said I’m flexible.

So based on my environment, I’m looking for your experienced recommendation on tires, wheels (stock or offset, 5+2 vs 4+3), spacers, same tires on all four corners from a size and steering perspective (I understand the value of tire rotation and spare compatibility), and any other modifications that might be needed. I’ve read a ton of threads on tires and wheels some were pretty old and there may be better options now.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

C

Chooglin

You're going to get alot of different opinions on this.

As far as how tippy they are after you go up on tire size , it will get tippy , that's why you should also go out with spacers. I feel there is a happy medium and my happy medium is 5+2 wheels with 1 1/2" spacers.

I like the Maxxis Bighorns , they are an all around good tire and 6 ply. I like going with same size tire on all four , just so I can rotate them and use the spare on all four.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

maddmax

Feb 12, 2015
Clarksdale Ms.
Ownership

1. 500

As far as how tippy they are after you go up on tire size , it will , that's why you should also go out with spacers. I feel there is a happy medium and my happy medium is 5+2 wheels with 1 1/2" spacers.

I like the Maxxis Bighorns , they are an all around good tire and 6 ply. I like going with same size tire on all four , just so I can rotate them and use the spare on all four.
Slap you some zillas on and don't look back Light weight and pull just like the p500 does

Reactions: dtng
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
don't know much about rocks but I will say this, I always buy some sort of itp in my 20+years of riding, the cheaper ones have wear or balance issues. I buy some sort of mud lights usually but they are NOT for rocks they wear quick in that stuff. I would pick a blackwater probably they are 8 ply, which means its designed to have utv durability and they are also designed to keep the zippy handling of the 500

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

As far as how tippy they are after you go up on tire size , it will , that's why you should also go out with spacers. I feel there is a happy medium and my happy medium is 5+2 wheels with 1 1/2" spacers.

Ditto on the MB’s, and when I wear out my current set I’m going with same size on all four for the same reason.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Ride Chatt, TN area chirt, rocks, mud and hills, 27 inch Journey 350s on Vision Buckshots 5+2 Big Horn-like thread. 2 yrs , 1400 miles, going good., pics of new and now. Between Cleveland, TN and Oconee. Got rims and tires, installed $580 back then, decent guy, retired and works out of house with many styles and brands. If doing it again would go same size on all 4, currently 9 front, 11 rear. Rockin' Ron's Powersports (FB page).

75122B29 6AD4 4050 81C8 9BB3EFC701E9 23643C5B 9873 4342 AEE6 DA4D8B7F248E 4F0BCC77 BE5A 4A62 BE38 7003ED0CF34A

Last edited:
AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
I put 26 inch (9 in front 12 in rear) STI Roctanes on the stock rims. They’ve been super and are very solid being 8-ply. They firmed up the ride and inspire more confidence cornering. I’m on a lot of shot-rock but do mud and streams etc. I now worry less about blow-outs 50 kms from the truck!
EDIT: and I went out with 1” spacers
20181101 144336

20181101 144351

PS I had Mud-Lites, same size, but peeled the lugs half off...
PPS I have 1" spacers front and back.

Last edited:
dtng

dtng

Sep 25, 2018
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500

The Bighorns seem to be popular. Two questions, why did you go with both the 5+2 and spacers, wouldn't 4+3 wheels give you almost the same or just bigger spacers? What width tires did you go with and how much has it effected the steering?

dtng

dtng

Sep 25, 2018
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500
Ride Chatt, TN area chirt, rocks, mud and hills, 27 inch Journey 350s on Vision Buckshots 5+2 Big Horn-like thread. 2 yrs , 1400 miles, going good., pics of new and now. Between Cleveland, TN and Oconee. Got rims and tires, installed $580 back then, decent guy, retired and works out of house with many styles and brands. If doing it again would go same size on all 4, currently 9 front, 11 rear. Rockin' Ron's Powersports (FB page).

View attachment 92485 View attachment 92487 View attachment 92490
Thanks Mudder, I'll check him out.

C

Chooglin

The Bighorns seem to be popular. Two questions, why did you go with both the 5+2 and spacers, wouldn't 4+3 wheels give you almost the same or just bigger spacers? What width tires did you go with and how much has it effected the steering?
The reason I chose 5+2 over 4+3 is , the wheels I wanted didn't come with the 4+3 offset.

I have 26x9x12 tires and I didn't notice any change in steering.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
The problem is that for rock crawling you want a soft rubber but they won't wear very well road running. The best mud tires have deep lugs but will be heavy and suck in the sand, and going with a stiff tire will make for a harsh ride.
If you do any road running I'd recommend radials. 26's are a nice fit on the P5 and 5+2 wheels will give enough stability for most. If you start adding a bunch of weight you can always add spacers. I like having the wider tire in back personally.
I've never heard anyone say they hate their BH's. ;)

nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
My thoughts..Original Big Horns ,26x9 in all four spots on 5+2 rims.One inch spacers on the rear.The original BH's are alittle tougher than the 2.0 version.All four in the same size allow for rotation,The P-5 seems to like 26 inchers gearing wise,one inch spacer in the rear with 5+2 rims gets you back to nearly equal width front and rear along with a gain in stability.Steering feel will be very close to stock.No problem fitting on a 60 inch trailer.My machine is set up this way with 2.0 BH's not the originals.
DSC01233

dtng

dtng

Sep 25, 2018
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500
The problem is that for rock crawling you want a soft rubber but they won't wear very well road running. The best mud tires have deep lugs but will be heavy and suck in the sand, and going with a stiff tire will make for a harsh ride.
If you do any road running I'd recommend radials. 26's are a nice fit on the P5 and 5+2 wheels will give enough stability for most. If you start adding a bunch of weight you can always add spacers. I like having the wider tire in back personally.
I've never heard anyone say they hate their BH's. ;)
Thanks Trigger, so basically multiple sets depending on the ride. I don't think soft rubber would hold up for me and I'll get a second set if I want to play in the mud, I just need something to get to my blind and back and should be able to go around if it's an issue. So for me stiff is better than soft. If I go with BH's would the original vs 2.0 be the better choice to get me up hills?

Reactions: trigger
dtng

dtng

Sep 25, 2018
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500
My thoughts..Original Big Horns ,26x9 in all four spots on 5+2 rims.One inch spacers on the rear.The original BH's are alittle tougher than the 2.0 version.All four in the same size allow for rotation,The P-5 seems to like 26 inchers gearing wise,one inch spacer in the rear with 5+2 rims gets you back to nearly equal width front and rear along with a gain in stability.Steering feel will be very close to stock.No problem fitting on a 60 inch trailer.My machine is set up this way with 2.0 BH's not the originals.View attachment 92517
Thanks nctrailboss, seems like a popular setup. A few questions, any idea what the total width is, why did you go with the 2.0 vs originals, could you have 5+2 in the front and 4+3 on the rear, seems like it would have given the same results, and do you have a rifle rack, if so what did you do. My rack doesn't leave room for a roof but it holds 2 long guns well.

Reactions: 100Acre

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!