Loud knock in rear end

G

Greg88

Jun 13, 2021
Friendsville, MD
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has anyone else experienced a loud knock in the rear end? It's seems like it is when shifting gears and sometimes turning.

Reactions: Smitty335
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Has anyone else experienced a loud knock in the rear end? It's seems like it is when shifting gears and sometimes turning.
This is a stupid question but, have you by any chance got hearing aids recently? My P1 has always clunked when shifting gears and it sounds like it's coming from the rear end, got over 4,000 trail miles on it and it sounds just like the day I bought it. How many miles, what model, turf mode, 2WD and are on trails or pavement when it knocks?

R

RedorDead

Jan 3, 2023
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I suggest checking the adjustment for the rear diff lock AKA turf mode selector. Mine was maladjusted from the factory and the expen$ive dealer PDI didn’t check it either. One time subsequently I had a single loud knock when cornering, which I attributed to the rear locker being a little sticky when new. Hasn’t happened again.

Does yours knock consistently or in a manner you can reproduce it? Or randomly?

G

Greg88

Jun 13, 2021
Friendsville, MD
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My machine has 2200 miles it seems like it when I'm turning and starting to slightly accelerate coming out of the turn. I haven't had it happen enough yet that I can say I can repeat it but it seems to be more and more frequent. Is this something that would be covered under the warranty?

Seadonist

Seadonist

Feb 8, 2021
New Orleans
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ve also got a knock every now and then. Seems like it comes from the rear passenger side and only happens when advancing from a completely stopped position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
When tirning?
One of Your axels is poping. Might need a new one.
how many miles and how do u ride?

Reactions: Backwoods
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I ride it rough occasionally but also a lot of road driving. I have 2200 miles
Still suspect axel. Either you or someone else needs to be outside the rig close to it walking along with it and drive slowly forward and reverse and turning and listen for popping, clunking etc. in the wheel axcel area. If u hear it there, that your issue

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I ride it rough occasionally but also a lot of road driving. I have 2200 miles
But that loud knock could also be your Transmission shifting. They like to make clinking noises when they shift. What year is the rig?

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Have you checked your rear locker cable adjustment?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
If the knock happens at every shift, it's just the shift solenoid doing its thing and completely normal. It took me awhile to get used to it. :eek: It won't matter if you're going straight or turning. If it's going click click click click click click while turning, worse on hardpack, it's a CV joint. On a Talon, it's usually an inner rear.

If yours is clicking repeatedly in turns, that's pointing at a CV joint. I 'think' that there shouldn't be any axle binding if you're in turf mode, and if yours is, the suggestion that you need to make a cable adjustment is a good idea.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
If it's a "bang" on a PIoneer 1k every now and then when turning, it's more than likely your rear diff unlocking because the Turf mode linkage is slightly out of adjustment. The cables can stretch a bit over time and it is an easy fix. It may show that you are in Turf mode, but the rear end hasn't actually unlocked and the "bang" is the diff unlocking under a load. Mine (2018 1k5) has just over 2500 miles and I had to adjust my turf mode linkage for the first time just a few weeks ago.

What year is your machine? The '16-'21 models have a box where the turf mode linkage is adjusted. The '22+ models did away with this and the adjustment is actually located on the rear diff.

Edit to add a picture of the linkage adjustment you are looking for (lift the bed and it's under a panel on a 1k5 on floor behind driver seat and on a 1k3 it is just the silver box behind the driver seat):

There is a small gasket that should sit in the lid that will inevitably be trashed (mine was installed with the gasket half in the box and half in the lid groove...). When I reinstalled my lid I used some RTV and made my own gasket.

Last edited:
G

Greg88

Jun 13, 2021
Friendsville, MD
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My machine is a 2021. After reading this last post I'm thinking it is rear diff lock unlocking. Does anyone have a detailed description of how to adjust it or is there a video out there somewhere?

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My machine is a 2021. After reading this last post I'm thinking it is rear diff lock unlocking. Does anyone have a detailed description of how to adjust it or is there a video out there somewhere?
Here you go

Reactions: Adam490 and CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!