Talon Low idle when restarting at altitude

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
An update.

After venturing into the high country on a couple occasions, this turn key to accessory then wait a spell seems to do the trick. The funny thing is that my son has a 2023 1000RS and he does not experience the same behavior starting at elevation like our buggy does.

In any event, anyone reading this post with the same issue I believe these fine folk have provided a solid solution to this issue.

Thanks fellas.
Awesome - someone who actually got back and reported out - so all can learn - thank you…

If it was only so EZ to see the logic in those ECM’s - it’s just a bunch of 1’s and 0’s floating around

Reactions: TripleB and CID
Willy-T-Ribs

Willy-T-Ribs

Sep 30, 2024
Heber City Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R4 LV
It took me awhile to learn to wait for the dash lights to settle when starting. Probably like your area, Colorado has yuge altitude changes during a ride.

If you haven't seen them, check out the New Talon Owners - First Things to Know and Check and What Did You Do With Your Talon Today threads, a lot of general information there. Both are in the General Talon 1000 Discussion forums.
Thanks for the link suggestion.

Before Utah we lived outside of Black Hawk at 9K'. We would only go up from there. Awesome, rugged state. No Talon back then - a TJ followed by a couple CanAm Outlanders. Fun times.

• Love
Reactions: CID
Willy-T-Ribs

Willy-T-Ribs

Sep 30, 2024
Heber City Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R4 LV
Awesome - someone who actually got back and reported out - so all can learn - thank you…

If it was only so EZ to see the logic in those ECM’s - it’s just a bunch of 1’s and 0’s floating around
My pleasure, and my duty if I might be so bold. It's what this forum is all about - sharing info among like minded enthusiast.

I'm a retired software engineer and you've hit it dead on, Honda holds their ECM card close to their chest. My gut told me this issue was s/w related based on it's behavior and after scrubbing the internet for definitive answers, I came to the realization that they (Honda) really do not want to share the ECM internals with us mere mortals. Unfortunate as that might be.

But hey, empirical data it is then. If I can't peruse a specification then I'll listen to real user experiences. This is the power of the forum. Service personnel are just as much in the dark as we are on certain topics, this being one of them. I know. I've tried to extract meaningful info from them with no joy.

Reactions: CID