Low oil pressure light and dies will not move

F

Firedog2169

Jun 7, 2021
Alaska
Ownership

1. Talon R
Hello all I am a new Talon 1000R FLV owner and just did my 100 mile service and now my low oil pressure light is on and it dies after about 10 seconds and will not move in forward or reverse.

I used Honda GN4 10w40 and Honda oil and DCT filter, oil is at the right level, and isn’t leaking anywhere. I verified that all 3 oil sensors are plugged in securely and are clean. I have basic mechanical skills and the basic tools to do most thing, but not a lot of specific mechanics tool.

Has anyone else had this problem and what was the cure? I just hope it’s something that doesn’t require a lot of parts as it seems to take forever to get them to AK.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Reactions: Smitty335 and TxDoc
Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
Hello all I am a new Talon 1000R FLV owner and just did my 100 mile service and now my low oil pressure light is on and it dies after about 10 seconds and will not move in forward or reverse.

I used Honda GN4 10w40 and Honda oil and DCT filter, oil is at the right level, and isn’t leaking anywhere. I verified that all 3 oil sensors are plugged in securely and are clean. I have basic mechanical skills and the basic tools to do most thing, but not a lot of specific mechanics tool.

Has anyone else had this problem and what was the cure? I just hope it’s something that doesn’t require a lot of parts as it seems to take forever to get them to AK.

Did you accidentally put the filter in backwards?

Reactions: Smitty335
Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
Is it rattling like low oil pressure?

Check your battery terminals. (Loose ground causes havoc)

Check the engine ground strap.

Reset the check engine light at the diagnostic port?

F

Firedog2169

Jun 7, 2021
Alaska
Ownership

1. Talon R
It sounds OK in the brief 10 seconds or so it will run, don’t want to run it too much in case it is not oiling. Don’t want to do permanent damage. I checked all the grounds that I found and all were tight. I guess I didn’t check the battery, because everything came on and the lights were working but I will check it next. I don’t have any way to reset at the diagnostic terminal. Don’t have a code reader or anything like that.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Sounds like a similar ground issue I had on my Pioneer, that turned out to be a a loose ground wire on the battery.
It would still start it was just a little loose.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
It sounds OK in the brief 10 seconds or so it will run, don’t want to run it too much in case it is not oiling. Don’t want to do permanent damage. I checked all the grounds that I found and all were tight. I guess I didn’t check the battery, because everything came on and the lights were working but I will check it next. I don’t have any way to reset at the diagnostic terminal. Don’t have a code reader or anything like that.

Reset it with a paper clip. (Google search)

It sets codes in the dash when there are problems.

My battery ground was semi loose when I brought my machine home……..

F

Firedog2169

Jun 7, 2021
Alaska
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yeah I have checked them, I even disconnected the battery and reconnected it hoping that would clear the Low oil pressure warning. Everything I can see is tight.
Sounds like a similar ground issue I had on my Pioneer, that turned out to be a a loose ground wire on the battery.
It would still start it was just a little loose.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Did you check the grounds under the driver seat?

Do you have a pressure gauge that you can connect to the engine and see if there is actually oil pressure? You can test here but it is a strange M8 X 1.25 straight thread fitting with a flat washer so you will need the appropriate adapter...

D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Did you accidentally put the filter in backwards?
I have always been very attentive to make sure i get the filter in properly, have never tried to reverse it just to see if it would even go together. Is it possible to foul this up? Seems like the cover wouldn't go on, but the owners manual is explicit about checking orientation and the filters are marked "this side out"?

D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R

Did it run well before the oil change? No hesitation, stuttering, lack of acceleration? Anything is possible, but it seems unlikely to me that a ground would go from no problem to no run during an oil change. You used honda oil and "dct filter", is it at all possible a transmisson filter got put in the engine? Not at all trying to be a smart a$$, just trying to cover all the bases.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
So just to cover all the bases here also, but did you fill 2 different areas with oil? Just trying to think of anything that might have gotten missed....

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
So just to cover all the bases here also, but did you fill 2 different areas with oil? Just trying to think of anything that might have gotten missed....
Ditto, more than a few have only filled the sub transmission thinking it also filled the engine.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
These engines only know when there is low transmission oil pressure. So the issue has to be in that system.

The engine has no way of knowing engine oil pressure.
Kinda sounds like the classic, I used a 14 mm socket to change my motor oil?

Reactions: Smittyp
M

Miltonsoto

Dec 21, 2020
Fort Lauderdale
Ownership

1. Talon R

Did you find out what it was

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!