Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
just asking, but if only did low side, I would think the shifting would be messed up on low side or if did the speedo thing, then high side. Am I over thinking it?
Probably a good point, but I won’t care about the speedometer in low range anyway. I need lower gears for rock crawling up steppes in the Rockies.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
You are correct. If you only change the Low gear ratio and want to compensate for the difference, you will need to reprogram the Low shift tables in the ECU.

Do you think the machine shop installing the IGR will be able to do that reprogram at the time, or is that going to be another deal...🤔

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
just asking, but if only did low side, I would think the shifting would be messed up on low side or if did the speedo thing, then high side. Am I over thinking it?
You are correct. If you only change the Low gear ratio and want to compensate for the difference, you will need to reprogram the Low shift tables in the ECU.

However, in low you go through the gears so quickly and low is used more for climbing and technical that I think Low range shifting will be fine (or at least tolerable). improper DCT shifting seem to be more prevalent in high range than low (at least that is my experience with larger tires).
My bad! You were talking about the speedo and not shift points. IGR or any internal gear changes will NOT affect the speedo.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Do you think the machine shop installing the IGR will be able to do that reprogram at the time, or is that going to be another deal...🤔
Probably going to be another deal and an additional $400 to $600.

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
i was taking about shift points (just did not say it right LOL) more than speedo, just referring to the 12 oclock units would only be right on oen set of gears

Reactions: Montecresto
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
i was taking about shift points (just did not say it right LOL) more than speedo, just referring to the 12 oclock units would only be right on oen set of gears
That is correct. If you are going to change the gear difference between Low and High and you end up having shift point issues, you will need to do some DCT tuning. SpeedoDRD units will not work for that purpose because you change the relationship between Low and High so one or the other will be off. Both may end up off if you change tire size.

It also all depends on where you end up. Say you do 10% reduction for low but then put 32" tires on (~15% difference). Now Low is only equivalent to about 5% off so you put the 2 speedoDRD's on and split the difference (between 5% for Low and 15% for High) and set the adjustment 10%. Now you are in the middle and the shifting "might" be OK or at least tolerable and the DCT "adaptive learning process" might just make up the difference. Someone would need to try this. Might work just fine and be cheaper than ECU flashes and/or programming.

Then a 3rd SpeedoDRD unit could be used at 15% to correct only the speedo.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon x4
I’d do portals if I could stand the 8” of increased width...
I’ve been reading the information on them and it’s either 4” wider on each side or 4” wider overall.
I have not been able to confirm.

kit includes new spindles to eliminate any chance of breaking. (double shear radius rod connections)

Reactions: Montecresto
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
I’ve been reading the information on them and it’s either 4” wider on each side or 4” wider overall.

kit includes new spindles to eliminate any chance of breaking. (double shear radius rod connections)
Yeah, they’re tough, I know several that are using them. They increase the overall width of the SXS by 7-3/4” and I can’t go for that.....

D

DDDonkey

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 29, 2017
AZ

Yes the with increase is a down fall and it is 8" wider, if you run a 15" rim with the 4" portals. I upgraded my tie rods at the same time as my portal install, the "weak link" I have now is ball joints but have yet to break one, and if I do I can now change it out in 15 min due to the different spindle.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon x4
Well that’s out then........

SuperATV

SuperATV

Vendor
Dec 5, 2013
Madison, IN
www.superatv.com
Pssst......width is good! Also a good excuse to get a new trailer if you need one! ;)

200.gif

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!