Low range grinding and popping out of gear

B

blainef1977

Oct 3, 2022
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a 2016 1000M3 and grinds going into low range and as soon as there is any small incline it grinds and pops into a neutral then catches then grinds and pops out again. Is there a trans overhaul kit available with gears and small parts to rebuild

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a 2016 1000M3 and grinds going into low range and as soon as there is any small incline it grinds and pops into a neutral then catches then grinds and pops out again. Is there a trans overhaul kit available with gears and small parts to rebuild
Not sure what parts exactly were changed on the 22 but they were changed to eliminate that problem. Maybe someone here knows what parts to replace to update your trans If its possible.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Welcome from Michigan

You have a 16' at least that's what u say anyway. With no pics we can only assume!
Pics Or It Didn't Happen!

16-17 had a clutch update, was yours done? Might want to do it if your gonna take it apart. Try the search up top
"Threadloom" results to go deep into the bowls of the forum as well

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Welcome from Michigan

You have a 16' at least that's what u say anyway. With no pics we can only assume!
Pics Or It Didn't Happen!

16-17 had a clutch update, was yours done? Might want to do it if your gonna take it apart. Try the search up top
"Threadloom" results to go deep into the bowls of the forum as well
His problem sounds like its in the sub trans. Something was changed in the shift fork or shift drum to eliminate the grinding and wear that causes it to pop out of gear

B

blainef1977

Oct 3, 2022
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My plan is to drop the the skid plates and start on it this weekend I was just wondering if there was a recall or sum kind of trans kit to fix the issue. I need to get moving on it to het it fixed for a good friend who is a disabled veteran I let use the machine for hunting on my property.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I rebuilt the sub trans on my Pioneer 1000. I changed the high range gears even though the gear dogs looked ok. My low range gear dogs were rounded off causing it to not stay in low range. The new 2022 shift star on the shift drum is improved. It has deeper detents and it looks like it provides more gear dog engagement for low range and reverse. Be sure to take pictures as you take it apart. The shop manual may still say to assemble it in park which is imposable. You take it apart and reassemble it in neutral.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My thread sub-transmission service will be a good thing for you to read through first.

R

Rojo

Feb 26, 2022
Cimarron, KS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m having similar problems with a 2016 Pioneer 1000 that we bought new. My has had the clutch upgrade done to it already. A few months ago and just under 20,000 it quit driving. We were busy in our shop so I had someone take it to the little Mom & Pop Honda dealer and they replaced the shift motor. It worked great for a couple of months. Now with 20,100+ miles it grinds when you go to reverse and it doesn’t back up. The Honda dealer got shut down since last time. I’m not afraid to work on it now that I have a little time. I would just like some pointers as to what might be wrong and where to start. Thanks

Reactions: Squeegee
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I’m having similar problems with a 2016 Pioneer 1000 that we bought new. My has had the clutch upgrade done to it already. A few months ago and just under 20,000 it quit driving. We were busy in our shop so I had someone take it to the little Mom & Pop Honda dealer and they replaced the shift motor. It worked great for a couple of months. Now with 20,100+ miles it grinds when you go to reverse and it doesn’t back up. The Honda dealer got shut down since last time. I’m not afraid to work on it now that I have a little time. I would just like some pointers as to what might be wrong and where to start. Thanks
@P1K5Dave did an awesome how-to on his sub trans rebuild.

Reactions: WagginTail
Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Your's sounds like it could just need adjusted. May not be engaging all the way.

Reactions: Smitty335 and CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!