Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I didn't have to in May of 2017. You can get a permit through the mail. Here's a link to viewing the whole IDBDR but it gives you a zooming Satellite map of which the MC route is mapped. It's the east-west red line.
GaiaGPS - Idaho Backcountry Discovery Route
Wow that’s 1500 odd miles and starts in Nevada. Have you done it and do you think it would be doable in a SXS?

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I know it’s not for you;) I think you like the ride prep more than the actual ride;)

I have to say... I can be almost as bad about planning as (it seems) Montecresto is.

1) I hate it when something mucks up my fun time. I don't have enough of it, I want to enjoy it.
2) The prior planning is fun to me.. 'cause I'm thinking about BEING there!
3) Time and time again.. because I spend so damn much time planning, I remember something I'd have otherwise forgotten..

So, cut the guy some slack. I can relate.

However... I think the person concerned about Grizzlies may be Montecresto, not his better half.:p

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
You would dig that country so much man.. I'll guarantee you that once you go there once, you WILL be back.
Is the Lolo road near that?

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Is the Lolo road near that?

It's not... to be honest, I'm not certain exactly where the "Lolo road" starts and ends. I've been over Lolo a dozen times on my sportbike, but have never done the dirt one. I have a couple friends that have run it on dual sports. In fact, they did a loop of sorts. Magruder, then north to Lolo, & back west.
Lolo is north of the area we're talking about.
All the trails I know about are on the north and south side of the South Fork of the Clearwater. EC Wagon road is north, Buffalo Hump wilderness to the south.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
It's not... to be honest, I'm not certain exactly where the "Lolo road" starts and ends. I've been over Lolo a dozen times on my sportbike, but have never done the dirt one. I have a couple friends that have run it on dual sports. In fact, they did a loop of sorts. Magruder, then north to Lolo, & back west.
Lolo is north of the area we're talking about.
All the trails I know about are on the north and south side of the South Fork of the Clearwater. EC Wagon road is north, Buffalo Hump wilderness to the south.
Oh, did I misread the government website, I thought the Wagon Road could be accessed at Elk City and rode to Newsome and Harpster??

Last edited:
mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Montecresto, you made a comment earlier that I want to address;

The lakes below Burnt Knob. I believe I see the trail you are referring to, and it is just that, a trail. The Idaho Centennial trail, to be exact. But unless you want to hike down there... you won't be doing any camping or fishing on those lakes. It is steeper than a cows face. See pics; ( the trail you speak of is on the bottom right of the second pic)

IMG 1301 3
IMG 1309 2

IMG 1322 2

Reactions: CumminsPusher
mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Oh, did I misread the government website, I thought the Wagon Road could be accessed at Elk City and rode to Newsome and Harpster??
Yes, but that is not Lolo road or the Lolo Motor Way. That is another road that crosses Lolo Pass, quite a bit further north than were we'll be.

The Wagon road starts at Elk City, goes to Newsome, and then on to Clearwater, just above Harpster.

Last edited:
Reactions: Montecresto
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

The lakes below Burnt Knob. I believe I see the trail you are referring to, and it is just that, a trail. The Idaho Centennial trail, to be exact. But unless you want to hike down there... you won't be doing any camping or fishing on those lakes. It is steeper than a cows face. See pics; ( the trail you speak of is on the bottom right of the second pic)

View attachment 96778 View attachment 96779
View attachment 96780
Lol, ok never mind that. :D

advertisement
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yes, but that is not Lolo road or the Lolo Motor Way. That is another road that crosses Lolo Pass, quite a bit further north than were we'll be.

The Wagon road starts at Elk City, goes to Newsome, and then on to Clearwater, just above Harpster.
Gotcha!

Btw, I’ve been reading other forums where people are posting their UTV experiences in Idaho and came across this. I know it’s a different area than we’ll be riding, but it’s just the kind of thing that’s so easily avoidable.

“So, you can go the route of getting a plate in Idaho for $15 or you can chance a $90 ticket if caught! I will say that there is a deputy in Bear Lake County that is out to ticket unlicensed ATVs as often as he can. There is also a Forest Service Ranger that has stated that he will ticket any ATV without the plate on Forest Service property in the Island Park area. Now this guy is out of control as we are legal on Forest Service lands with our Utah stickers but he has stated that he did not care, he would ticket anyway and let the courts settle it.”

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

View attachment 96778 View attachment 96779
View attachment 96780
Love that a plane was flying by right when you were there, very cool. :cool:

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
But unless you want to hike down there... you won't be doing any camping or fishing on those lakes.
I guess I could fish on the Selway at the Paradise campground? And maybe a few other places???

Reactions: Tigermark and mjn
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Gotcha!

Btw, I’ve been reading other forums where people are posting their UTV experiences in Idaho and came across this. I know it’s a different area than we’ll be riding, but it’s just the kind of thing that’s so easily avoidable.

“So, you can go the route of getting a plate in Idaho for $15 or you can chance a $90 ticket if caught! I will say that there is a deputy in Bear Lake County that is out to ticket unlicensed ATVs as often as he can. There is also a Forest Service Ranger that has stated that he will ticket any ATV without the plate on Forest Service property in the Island Park area. Now this guy is out of control as we are legal on Forest Service lands with our Utah stickers but he has stated that he did not care, he would ticket anyway and let the courts settle it.”
I’ve never seen something like that. Sure that wasn’t Hazzard Country?
1B8DA2F8 04A7 407C B30A 54F9D6426424

Reactions: mjn and Tigermark
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have you done it and do you think it would be doable in a SXS?
I've done sections of it. Mostly in my truck and pulling a trailer and a few sections in my 500. It's all on NF roads so it's maintained by the NFS. I'd venture to say you could do much of it in a 2wd car but there are sections that only a motorcycle/SXS's/4x4's should do. There's also one or two spots like an old bridge where it's blocked off except for motorcycles, but the IDBDR maps show you how to bypass it. The maps also give refueling places, lodging, camping, groceries...Yes, a SXS could do it! Bring extra fuel...The maps break the whole route into sections and it also shows visual side elevations. I have BDR maps for most every western state. They're geared mostly towards the ADV Rider types, but anyone can drive them.

Reactions: Montecresto
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I've done sections of it. Mostly in my truck and pulling a trailer and a few sections in my 500. It's all on NF roads so it's maintained by the NFS. I'd venture to say you could do much of it in a 2wd car but there are sections that only a motorcycle/SXS's/4x4's should do. There's also one or two spots like an old bridge where it's blocked off except for motorcycles, but the IDBDR maps show you how to bypass it. The maps also give refueling places, lodging, camping, groceries...Yes, a SXS could do it! Bring extra fuel...The maps break the whole route into sections and it also shows visual side elevations. I have BDR maps for most every western state. They're geared mostly towards the ADV Rider types, but anyone can drive them.
Man, that would be the dream SXS ride to me. Probably be two weeks or more. How to get back to the starting point where your truck and trailer is would be the difficulty.

Reactions: 100Acre
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Man, that would be the dream SXS ride to me. Probably be two weeks or more. How to get back to the starting point where your truck and trailer is would be the difficulty.
just turn around

Reactions: gch1911
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!