Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
@Montecresto
You said mid to late July... do you have specific dates in mind? The reason I ask is the 25th thru the 29th are out for me. That is Boat Race weekend, & we're down to 2 managers on that stretch, I'm one of 'em.
Well then we’ll set it up for the 13th-20th if that works. I would even be fine with late June but there’s too many references in reviews by people that have either done the drive or attempted too that it could be still closed to snow. I think the .gov website also said the best bet is 1st of July thru mid October.

Reactions: DaveM47
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Wow. Ok I already knew there was a risk. Monte and I already talked about it. He told me all about it. Just trying to kid around with you. :rolleyes:
oh ok, sure, my bad

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sacagawea
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yes, I've done all of it a couple times. Parts of it many more times. The road generally is about like the Magruder. Most of it could be done in a 2wd pickup. There are a couple spots west out of Newsome that are a bit rough, but still, it's a good road.
It's basically split into 2 sections; One from Elk City to Newsome Creek, which is all good road. The section from Newsome to Clearwater is really cool, with a couple side roads.. Pilot Knob for one, that are well worth the trek.
That’s great, it’s very cool that you’re so familiar with the region. You’d be an asset on the ride.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a few questions.

Does the Travelers Rest have a Hot Tub? - Uh... I doubt it.
Can I bring Cocktails? - It's Idaho. That is mandatory
Will I be the only lady in the group? - Possibly?
Can I bring Moonshine? - Only of you share
Can I bring cigarettes? - just be mindful of your butts..
Will there be a help line in the event @JTW comes? -LOL!
Can I bring a curling Iron? - knock yourself out
Will there be a life saver rings if @Smitty335 comes? - No, but we will offer earplugs
Will there be a girls room on all stops? - Logs don't care
Can I bring cigars? - hell yea!
Can I bring shots? I will need shots at all stops. -again.. only if you share
Will I have to wash dishes if I am the only Squaw? -dishes? -we don't need no stinking dishes.. we use paper and burn em!

If you can answer yes to all the above except the last question I’m in!

LOL! I think you'll do just fine.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
It would also be a shame to let endless mind numbing preparation spoil some spontaneous adventure and fun :rolleyes:;)
Well, it’s neither endless nor mind numbing to me. But a ticket at least, and a impound at worst, certainly would spoil the fun. It’s not a spontaneous ride, that’s why it’s being discussed now and not July 12th. ;)

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Honestly though, the coolest ride by far would be the run up to Buffalo Hump. The climb up to Orogrande saddle (@ 6800') is fun and easy. The last 10 miles are brutal. It'll take as long to do the last stretch as it does to get there.. and it's about a 3rd the distance. Here are a few shots;
Camptrip06127

Camptrip06130

Camp08042

Camp08050
Camp08032

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-3
yea... I don't think June would be prudent. In '16, it wasn't open until July 1st.

But don't plan this trip around my schedule. At this point, I'm still not certain I can make it. I'm pretty sure that if I do go, I'm gonna have to find a second SxS.. otherwise I'm going to have a very unhappy daughter. She wants to go back and show her husband that country in the worst way..

Reactions: Cuoutdoors
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Reactions: mjn
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
You would dig that country so much man.. I'll guarantee you that once you go there once, you WILL be back.
Those pics look a lot like the area by Mt. Baldy just past Cataldo. I dig it!

Reactions: Montecresto
advertisement
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
yea... I don't think June would be prudent. In '16, it wasn't open until July 1st.

But don't plan this trip around my schedule. At this point, I'm still not certain I can make it. I'm pretty sure that if I do go, I'm gonna have to find a second SxS.. otherwise I'm going to have a very unhappy daughter. She wants to go back and show her husband that country in the worst way..
It doesn’t matter to me, so I have no problem working around your schedule. And another woman on the ride I’m sure would be welcomed.

Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Well, it’s neither endless nor mind numbing to me. But a ticket at least, and a impound at worst, certainly would spoil the fun. It’s not a spontaneous ride, that’s why it’s being discussed now and not July 12th. ;)
I know it’s not for you;) I think you like the ride prep more than the actual ride;)

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I know it’s not for you;) I think you like the ride prep more than the actual ride;)
Wrong. I like the ride better. And a better ride is free of encounters with LEO. And I don’t know if you’ve paid any attention to the important information posted here, but in such a wilderness, preparedness is prudent, not something to be mocked. Besides, I thought you were out on this ride. Please don’t numb your mind paying attention to all my perpetration lol. :D:D:D:D:D

Reactions: Mudwing
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Like 100 acre said, in 2016 there was a pretty extensive washout. They were still working on it it the last week of July. We were there Aug 4th. We weren’t even sure we’d be able to go all the way across.View attachment 96441
That’s a really good repair job on that road!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Wrong. I like the ride better. And a better ride is free of encounters with LEO. And I don’t know if you’ve paid any attention to the important information posted here, but in such a wilderness, preparedness is prudent, not something to be mocked. Besides, I thought you were out on this ride. Please don’t numb your mind paying attention to all my perpetration lol. :D:D:D:D:D
I’ve honestly never heard someone say LEO so much referencing Idaho trails. Unless someone is being a dips*** or looking very suspicious in a congested area which are sparse we’ve just seen no issues. I know the area is a little different over where you’re headed but I think here we might see some form LEO a couple times a year and that’s usually having a beer in the bar in the woods bs’ing about something cool. Not saying things can’t happen but it’s really mellow. Hell I don’t get messed with so most people should be just fine lol.
I would like to make this ride or at least at some point. The path itself looks mellow but some of the offshoots @mjn posted look very interesting! It’s beautiful too

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I’ve honestly never heard someone say LEO so much referencing Idaho trails. Unless someone is being a dips*** or looking very suspicious in a congested area which are sparse we’ve just seen no issues. I know the area is a little different over where you’re headed but I think here we might see some form LEO a couple times a year and that’s usually having a beer in the bar in the woods bs’ing about something cool. Not saying things can’t happen but it’s really mellow. Hell I don’t get messed with so most people should be just fine lol.
I would like to make this ride or at least at some point. The path itself looks mellow but some of the offshoots @mjn posted look very interesting! It’s beautiful too
Well, did you see what Stacy posted??? Anyway, there’s nothing wrong with having the necessary documents. It does seem odd that that ruffles so many feathers. As to the side excursions, they do indeed look great, I’ll just probably need to unhook my tiny trailer when going down them. And the pics of that other trail system that mjn posted look very cool to ride, though I don’t think with my trailer lmao. :D

I hope you do take this ride. :cool:

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Well, did you see what Stacy posted??? Anyway, there’s nothing wrong with having the necessary documents. It does seem odd that that ruffles so many feathers. As to the side excursions, they do indeed look great, I’ll just probably need to unhook my tiny trailer when going down them. And the picks of that other trail system that mjn posted look very cool to ride, though I don’t think with my trailer lmao. :D

I hope you do take this ride. :cool:
It would probably be safe but consider getting a ball lock for trailer then for those times

Reactions: Montecresto
advertisement