mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Here's a link that has good info on the area as well as a map of sorts.. It shows all the campgrounds on the route.

http://www.idahostateatv.org/publications/Magruder-Road-map-brochure.pdf

Some of the places I thought would be cool camping spots are;

Poet Creek. Very cool spot. We stayed here the first night;
IMG 1209 2

This spot is somewhere east of the Burnt knob turnoff, and west of Observation point. It is a narrow finger ridge next to the road. Very cool spot. No chitter though.
IMG 1429 2

Observation point is on a long narrow finger ridge. The road runs right down the middle of it. There are camp sites on each side of the road, but what is cool, is the South side just drops off.. steeply. The view is amazing.
IMG 1425 2

And, of course Fales Flat. This spot is huge. There are two poopers, and enough room for a couple hundred campers..
IMG 1421 2

Believe me, there are plenty more. Absolutely no shortage of neat spots to pull off and camp. You will want to keep an eye on fire restrictions though.. some times campfires are no big deal, sometimes they must be in designated camp areas IN a designated fire ring.. sometimes you can't have a fire at all.
I found the folks at the West Fork Ranger station were incredibly helpful. One gal put me on her email list, & sent me updates weekly.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Here's a link that has good info on the area as well as a map of sorts.. It shows all the campgrounds on the route.

Poet Creek. Very cool spot. We stayed here the first night;View attachment 96612

This spot is somewhere east of the Burnt knob turnoff, and west of Observation point. It is a narrow finger ridge next to the road. Very cool spot. No chitter though.
View attachment 96613

Observation point is on a long narrow finger ridge. The road runs right down the middle of it. There are camp sites on each side of the road, but what is cool, is the South side just drops off.. steeply. The view is amazing.
View attachment 96614

And, of course Fales Flat. This spot is huge. There are two poopers, and enough room for a couple hundred campers..
View attachment 96615

Believe me, there are plenty more. Absolutely no shortage of neat spots to pull off and camp. You will want to keep an eye on fire restrictions though.. some times campfires are no big deal, sometimes they must be in designated camp areas IN a designated fire ring.. sometimes you can't have a fire at all.
I found the folks at the West Fork Ranger station were incredibly helpful. One gal put me on her email list, & sent me updates weekly.
Wow!!!! Awesome, I love the help...Thank you. :)

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

Poet Creek. Very cool spot. We stayed here the first night;View attachment 96612

View attachment 96613

View attachment 96614

View attachment 96615

Looks like there’s a spur trail to the three lower lakes visible from Burnt Knob!!! Any knowledge about camping along the shores of them. I also intend to have a non resident 14 day fishing permit, fresh trout in a skillet would be neat.

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Last edited:
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The Grizzlies arent that bad I saw several in montana, Washington, and Oregon. Look they're friendly.View attachment 96569

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Ok @Sacagawea I was informed you have some concerns about bears. I do care about the success of others on their trips and their safety. The picture of me and a bear is on Mt. Rainier in Washington state. It is a brown Black bear and not a grizzly. I have seen bears in New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming(Yellowstone), Montana, Washington, Oregon, California, Wisconsin and surprisingly enough also Iowa.

Grizzlies only exist in a few of those states and the only time I've seen a Grizzly was in Yellowstone.

Only about 1,500 grizzlies are left in the lower 48 states of the US. Of these, about 800 live in Montana. About 600 more live in Wyoming, in the Yellowstone-Teton area. There are an estimated 70–100 grizzly bears living in northern and eastern Idaho

To prevent problems with bears the best thing to do is not have ANY food in your trailer you are pulling. Also don't have anything scented in there. Other than food that also includes items like deodorant, gatorade, tooth paste, wrappers, garbage, etc. In short NO Smell-ables.

All that needs to be thrown in a bear proof box or cooler, otherwise it gets put in a bag and strung up a tree every night. When I back packed through bear country we kept our tents separate from EVERYTHING else. That meant our packs, clothes, food, etc was all in one location and our tents were about 40 yards away. Even if you don't hang up your smellables just sleeping in a separate location will help you significantly. Keep the sleep zone as scent free as possible.

I have spent many nights camping in bear country and I have only seen a bear near camp one time and that was in Yellowstone.

0n this MC trip there are probably 100 other things that are more likely to occur before a bear attack. Hazards of the trial, wrecks, tripping, broken bones, other people, weather, food, environment, hypothermia, food poisoning, navigation errors/ getting lost, heat stroke, .... the list goes on.... Make a solid plan and you'll be fine.

advertisement
mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
We spend 4-7 days in the Elk City area damn near every year. We don’t worry about any animals.
We leave our coolers next to our tent.
When we did Magruder, my daughter and I brought a lot of freeze dried food. It was surprisingly good, not to mention easy to prepare. The cooler was full of water, iced tea, vodka and mixer...you know, the important stuff.
When we go up there, we’re armed....like we always are. 12 gauge with slugs and 00buck, and a 10-22 for that errant “attack” squirrel. If a predator ever entered our campsite, he’d think he just walked into a firing range.
**note** we never play with firearms if we’ve had one too many & don’t hang with those that do.

Reactions: gch1911
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
My daughter has been sleeping in a tent alone (usually with our dog by my call) and we’ve not been too worried. The bears around here are fairly small and are more scared of people then we are of them usually. Food is pretty plentiful around here for them and they rather wait till humans are away to scavenge.
Best bet is keep food locked up and away from immediate camp or hung up like what’s been mentioned. If people are smart any risk drops significantly. Been camping 15-25 weekends a year for 15 years and haven’t had problems with bears in any way.

Reactions: mjn and Cuoutdoors
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
My daughter has been sleeping in a tent alone (usually with our dog by my call) and we’ve not been too worried. The bears around here are fairly small and are more scared of people then we are of them usually. Food is pretty plentiful around here for them and they rather wait till humans are away to scavenge.
Best bet is keep food locked up and away from immediate camp or hung up like what’s been mentioned. If people are smart any risk drops significantly. Been camping 15-25 weekends a year for 15 years and haven’t had problems with bears in any way.
Our ranch in Oklahoma is rural, past electric rural. In the eastern Oklahoma mountains with black bear, mountain lions and the errant wolf. Sacagawea is good. She carries the delux bear spray.

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Our ranch in Oklahoma is rural, past electric rural. In the eastern Oklahoma mountains with black bear, mountain lions and the errant wolf. Sacajawea is good. She carries the delux bear spray.
That stuff is wicked!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
That stuff is wicked!
Yep. We were in Cody Wyoming one year, staying at Buffalo Bills historic hotel (the Irma). On our way to Yellowstone via the east gate. Met an elk guide in the hotel bar, he told us about this particular bear spray, it’s the size of a can of spray paint, don’t think about those little cans that women typically carry in their purses. He said that between a gun and that bear spray, he’d take the bear spray, hands down. It sprays 35-40’ and positively turns a bear around. Two cans will be in the SXS. ;)

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!