Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
@mjn, found this on the IDPR website.

“Non- residents must purchase an Idaho restricted vehicle license plate with a valid IDPR OHV registration sticker if they don’t have a plate and wish to operate on Idaho’s local jurisdiction roads (i.e. county roads).
Idaho Code 67-7122”

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
@mjn, found this on the IDPR website.

“Non- residents must purchase an Idaho restricted vehicle license plate with a valid IDPR OHV registration sticker if they don’t have a plate and wish to operate on Idaho’s local jurisdiction roads (i.e. county roads).
Idaho Code 67-7122”

I dunno man.. I've gone there every year, granted it was only for a week at a time, but I've passed county police cars and forest service trucks on hwy 14 numerous times. All I've ever done is waved. They wave back. I used my Rancher from 02 thru '11. It hasn't been registered since 2004. No plate at all on ATV's in Washington, so all I had was a sticker on the back fender. Then for '12 thru '14 I had the Brute Force... hell, I passed a Forest Service truck on that thing on hwy 14 doing probably 25mph over the speed limit. Posted limit on that road is 45 I think, we had an 8 mile run on hwy 14 to get to the Orogrande turnoff, and we wasted NO time.

I probably passed him running north of 60. Nothing.

When I did the ride on my Viking, I had my WA plate on. If you look close at it, you can see it says "off road". Never had an issue. Out of 5 or 6 bikes on that ride, I think 2 of em were plated and street legal. I'm honestly not too worried about it.
The longest stretch of pavement we'd have is from the Magruder turnoff past Red River Guard station back into Elk City. From there, we can run the wagon road.

You go ahead and get your plate if you want. If I go, I'll just run it like I always do.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
You go ahead and get your plate if you want. If I go, I'll just run it like I always do.
I can understand that, I do things differently in my back yard too, I guess it’s the familiarity of it all.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
I dunno man.. I've gone there every year, granted it was only for a week at a time, but I've passed county police cars and forest service trucks on hwy 14 numerous times. All I've ever done is waved. They wave back. I used my Rancher from 02 thru '11. It hasn't been registered since 2004. No plate at all on ATV's in Washington, so all I had was a sticker on the back fender. Then for '12 thru '14 I had the Brute Force... hell, I passed a Forest Service truck on that thing on hwy 14 doing probably 25mph over the speed limit. Posted limit on that road is 45 I think, we had an 8 mile run on hwy 14 to get to the Orogrande turnoff, and we wasted NO time.

When I did the ride on my Viking, I had my WA plate on. If you look close at it, you can see it says "off road". Never had an issue. Out of 5 or 6 bikes on that ride, I think 2 of em were plated and street legal. I'm honestly not too worried about it.
The longest stretch of pavement we'd have is from the Magruder turnoff past Red River Guard station back into Elk City. From there, we can run the wagon road.

I just read a write up on another forum of some guys that ran it when there was snow on the ground and the hazards they endured and the winching 30’ at a time. :eek: Can’t imagine doing that.

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Oh yea, winter gets nasty at that elevation up here. If I remember correctly, you start at about 3500' on the Red River side and end up staying at 6000+ all the way over. Several spots over 7K, and at least one over 8K. (Burnt Knob)

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

The plates for our Sxs’s are on top of the fridge. Not one of the dirt bikes have any. It takes too long to bolt them on lol.

Reactions: Tigermark and mjn
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Oh yea, winter gets nasty at that elevation up here. If I remember correctly, you start at about 3500' on the Red River side and end up staying at 6000+ all the way over. Several spots over 7K, and at least one over 8K. (Burnt Knob)
A link that you posted, or maybe something I found poking around, mentioned drinking water at one of the camp grounds. Is the Selway the only other water source for most of the trek. Freeze dried food requires a lot of water, mama won’t move without her coffee in the morning and drinking, I can see 2-3 gallons a day for two people. I have a backpackers filter, or if you think it would be prudent, I have 5 gallon drinking water containers. Could set out with a couple of them filled???

Reactions: Tigermark
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
The plates for our Sxs’s are on top of the fridge. Not one of the dirt bikes have any. It takes too long to bolt them on lol.
Now that’s particularly funny coming from you as much of a wrench turner as you are. :D

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
A link that you posted, or maybe something I found poking around, mentioned drinking water at one of the camp grounds. Is the Selway the only other water source for most of the trek. Freeze dried food requires a lot of water, mama won’t move without her coffee in the morning and drinking, I can see 2-3 gallons a day for two people. I have a backpackers filter, or if you think it would be prudent, I have 5 gallon drinking water containers. Could set out with a couple of them filled???
For a long haul how about a water purifier? Just grab from stream along the way?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Now that’s particularly funny coming from you as much of a wrench turner as you are. :D
Lol. I put one one the last Sxs for Tennessee. Used double back tape:) I do understand your skepticism, I get nervous other places because of all the strict laws and regs. Even on the coast in Washington I’m nervous. Around these parts they figure if you have a Sxs you can afford it and don’t concern themselves with you. I think in some areas cars stick out more then Sxs.

Reactions: Montecresto
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Lol. I put one one the last Sxs for Tennessee. Used double back tape:) I do understand your skepticism, I get nervous other places because of all the strict laws and regs. Even on the coast in Washington I’m nervous. Around these parts they figure if you have a Sxs you can afford it and don’t concern themselves with you. I think in some areas cars stick out more then Sxs.
Yeah, I hear ya. I have bad luck too :rolleyes:

My brother was living in Three Forks Montana and I went up for a visit. He borrowed a boat and we went fishing. He told me I should get a fishing license to which I laughed, yeah right, I’m in the third largest state with only 900,000 population, I’m sure they don’t have the necessary enforcement. We saw a boat across the lake making a straight line for us, I put my pole down and my brothers friend said don’t even try to lie to them, they were glassing us long before they headed this way and they know you were fishing. A $250.00 fine and had to be paid in cash on the spot or I was going with them because I was out of state.

I got a speeding ticket in Missouri and because I didn’t have cash for the fine he took my drivers license, gave me a paper one, said they’d mail my real one to me when they received their money.

Like I said, in my own back yard where I know how things are it feels different. Something about that unknown bugs me. The OHV sticker will arrive in the mail, it’s for forest service roads, the restricted plate is for paved roadways, hopefully the IDMV will mail that too. It sure is a helluva lot cheaper than South Dakota’s......

Reactions: Plumber32
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
For a long haul how about a water purifier? Just grab from stream along the way?
Yep, I already mentioned that I have a good water filter in my backpacking gear. Just not sure how much water we encounter besides that one crossing of the Selway.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Finally was called back by a supervisor from the Grangeville DMV regarding being able to secure my non resident restricted vehicle plate. Either they are real busy up there or gone fly fishing most of the day lol. Turns out that I can do this from here via email and regular mail. I scan a copy of my SXS proof of ownership, copy of proof of insurance, copy of my DL and my SSN all in an email. They will call me when they receive it for CC info for the $15.50 for plate and OHV sticker and $3.50 for postage to get it to me. The Plate is good for 7 years and IDPR will send me a new OHV sticker renewal each year. Cool beans.

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Finally was called back by a supervisor from the Grangeville DMV regarding being able to secure my non resident restricted vehicle plate. Either they are real busy up there or gone fly fishing most of the day lol. Turns out that I can do this from here via email and regular mail. I scan a copy of my SXS proof of ownership, copy of proof of insurance, copy of my DL and my SSN. They will call me when they receive it for CC info for the $15.50 for plate and OHV sticker and $3.50 for postage to get it to me. The Plate is good for 7 years and IDPR will send me a new OHV sticker renewal each year. Cool beans.
That’s good to hear! Lot cheaper then a weekend pass some places

Reactions: Montecresto
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Finally was called back by a supervisor from the Grangeville DMV regarding being able to secure my non resident restricted vehicle plate. Either they are real busy up there or gone fly fishing most of the day lol. Turns out that I can do this from here via email and regular mail. I scan a copy of my SXS proof of ownership, copy of proof of insurance, copy of my DL and my SSN all in an email. They will call me when they receive it for CC info for the $15.50 for plate and OHV sticker and $3.50 for postage to get it to me. The Plate is good for 7 years and IDPR will send me a new OHV sticker renewal each year. Cool beans.
Sounds easy enough. I hope you know better than to send all that in one email....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Sounds easy enough. I hope you know better than to send all that in one email....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
My wife works for the government and has the best encryption and knowledge on these things. She’ll be the one doing this. Thanks :)

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
My wife works for the government and has the best encryption and knowledge on these things. She’ll be the one doing this. Thanks :)
Your wife is a Government agent, I may have already divulged more information to her than I wanted the government to know! HA! OW well I will have passed by the time they figure it out, HA!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Your wife is a Government agent, I may have already divulged more information to her than I wanted the government to know! HA! OW well I will have passed by the time they figure it out, HA!
She’s numbered you long ago, lol.

Sacagawea

Sacagawea

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2016
Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
Your secrets are safe with me dear.

Reactions: Smitty335
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!