Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
That’s a good idea, I remember you going to do something like that for ROTC. Careful on rear weight bias though that could get really unsettling.
One thing I’ve never liked about receiver hitch racks is that they flop about some due to the minimal slack between the hitch and receiver tube, with the leverage created by the weight of the contents and the left and right reach from the hitch. I’m contemplating ways to fix the hitch solidly to the receiver and eliminate that play???? Ideas?

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
One thing I’ve never liked about receiver hitch racks is that they flop about some due to the minimal slack between the hitch and receiver tube, with the leverage created by the weight of the contents and the left and right reach from the hitch. I’m contemplating ways to fix the hitch solidly to the receiver and eliminate that play???? Ideas?
Yep! These work great, have on on my pickup because I cannot stand slop either.
Suggestion is to replace the nuts with locking nuts and regular washers rather then lock washers.

2" Receiver Carrier Anti-Wobble No-Rattle Hauling Tow Hitch Stabilizer Tightener | eBay
1A2D2C6B 88D8 4980 8302 49BF4E65FA70

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yep! These work great, have on on my pickup because I cannot stand slop either.
Suggestion is to replace the nuts with locking nuts and regular washers rather then lock washers.

2" Receiver Carrier Anti-Wobble No-Rattle Hauling Tow Hitch Stabilizer Tightener | eBay
View attachment 97551
Wow, very cool. And cheap. Think I’ll order a couple of them. Thanks CP. have you actually tried it with a receiver rack. You know how you see an SUV or truck going down the road and that damn thing is leaning to the left or right, hits a bump and then wobbles about. That’s what I’m wanting to avoid.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Wow, very cool. And cheap. Think I’ll order a couple of them. Thanks CP. have you actually tried it with a receiver rack. You know how you see an SUV or truck going down the road and that damn thing is leaning to the left or right, hits a bump and then wobbles about. That’s what I’m wanting to avoid.
Ya we had a rack originally on the 700. I think it would help a lot, maybe put a piece of tin in the void first. Also a bolt/nut rather then hitch pin.
When we were camping with @Plumber32 i ground down a wedge for his that worked ok

Reactions: Montecresto
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Ya we had a rack originally on the 700. I think it would help a lot, maybe put a piece of tin in the void first. Also a bolt/nut rather then hitch pin.
When we were camping with @Plumber32 i ground down a wedge for his that worked ok
Yeah I was thinking wedge, like you get with a handle replacement for a hammer. The nut/bolt as opposed to the pin is a great idea!! I’m also considering just slipping the receiver in and welding both sides. The exclusive reason for having the receiver tube installed at the factory was for this rack, so it wouldn’t matter.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I marked it on the calendar, tonight I will approach the wife with the proposal and she what she thinks.
Well, was the wife approachable....;):D

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
That's perfect I didn't know such a thing existed. I'm going to have to get one as well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Well worth the money that’s for sure

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Well worth the money that’s for sure
I think so, even just for towing trailers. My truck has a 2-1/2” receiver, with a 2” reducer sleeve, so then when you slide the hitch in you’ve got three points now of slop and a lot of noise and movement back there. Does that part have to be loosened and removed every time you change out hitches?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I think so, even just for towing trailers. My truck has a 2-1/2” receiver, with a 2” reducer sleeve, so then when you slide the hitch in you’ve got three points now of slop and a lot of noise and movement back there. Does that part have to be loosened and removed every time you change out hitches?
Yes it does. Works better if you leave the ball on. Works for anti theft too

Reactions: Montecresto
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yes it does. Works better if you leave the ball on. Works for anti theft too
Ok, well I have an adjustable height hitch so it’s not often that I have to take it off, only when I need the 2-5/16” ball for my HD trailer. But you know that this part will work with trucks that have the 2-1/2” receivers??? Just making double sure before ordering, thx.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have the same problem. The sleeve rattles, the hitch rattles, and the vertical adjustment rattles. I dont know if you've heard of misophonia, but I'm pretty sure I have it. The rattles make me crazy. I'll be glad when this thing arrives.

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
I have the same problem. The sleeve rattles, the hitch rattles, and the vertical adjustment rattles. I dont know if you've heard of misophonia, but I'm pretty sure I have it. The rattles make me crazy. I'll be glad when this thing arrives.

I know JTW has that he stops every 20 feet looking for a squeak or rattle

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Is that a full bed?
Ha, um no, that’s a 40” bed with a memory foam mattress. It’s cozy ;). We use it exclusively in cool weather...

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Other than my wife and I, I don’t know if anyone else is confirmed. There’s several, including yourself that have shown interest. But, it’s not the typical ride. Most rides you see in the forum are trail rides with a base camp. This is more of a cross country. A different deal altogether. Anyone interested has to be able to take off a couple of weeks time, spend a few thousand dollars if they are traveling any distance. Folks in the vicinity I suppose can take a day or to and ride up for a bit. Still a long time between now and July...

Well... If I do this ride, I would do more of a base camp. There's a spot 15 or so miles west of Elk City that's perfect for camping. I was thinking maybe riding east from there out the Magruder half way or so, meet anyone coming the other way, camp up there one night, & then come back to the base camp. Then we could do two or three days of out and back from there.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Well... If I do this ride, I would do more of a base camp. There's a spot 15 or so miles west of Elk City that's perfect for camping. I was thinking maybe riding east from there out the Magruder half way or so, meet anyone coming the other way, camp up there one night, & then come back to the base camp. Then we could do two or three days of out and back from there.
Yeah I mean what ever revs your motor works for me. I can’t see very much about the whole affair set in stone. :cool:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!