Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Not that it makes any difference, but it's gonna be hotter than a popcorn fart down on the Salmon in mid July... most likely over the century mark.
I’ll be sure to have my trunks. ;)

Reactions: mjn
I

Idahoguy

Jan 11, 2018
North Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Took the Macgruder route 25 or so years ago. At the time there was a outfitters base camp at Paradise. There was an older couple there running the camp. They insisted my buddy and I stay for a free breakfast, which we did. They offered us showers and the use of their two way radio. Just the nicest people you could imagine. Did the Buffalo Hump ride about 10 years ago and was amazed at the little group of cabins up on the granite boulders and slabs. Not a long ride but it was one that I have wanted to do again. A more challenging ride would be from the Salmon river to a sorta old prepares camp and then to Burgdorf hotsprings. There are two forest service roads that go up the mountain on the south side of the Salmon about 20 something miles up river from the town of Riggins. First one is the French Creek rd, which is easy, and I don't recall the name of the second and other road. Not really much of a road part of the way and in this part it's not for beginners. Regardless, this whole area is awesome. The attached photo of the building is from the prepare camp / compound. Yeah, its big and never finished. The other photo, taken at the end of this past September, shows some drifting smoke from a fire. Warning, the past few years there always seems to be a forest fire or two burning in these areas so you might want to have a plan B.
IMG 0680
IMG 0683

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Took the Macgruder route 25 or so years ago. At the time there was a outfitters base camp at Paradise. There was an older couple there running the camp. They insisted my buddy and I stay for a free breakfast, which we did. They offered us showers and the use of their two way radio. Just the nicest people you could imagine. Did the Buffalo Hump ride about 10 years ago and was amazed at the little group of cabins up on the granite boulders and slabs. Not a long ride but it was one that I have wanted to do again. A more challenging ride would be from the Salmon river to a sorta old prepares camp and then to Burgdorf hotsprings. There are two forest service roads that go up the mountain on the south side of the Salmon about 20 something miles up river from the town of Riggins. First one is the French Creek rd, which is easy, and I don't recall the name of the second and other road. Not really much of a road part of the way and in this part it's not for beginners. Regardless, this whole area is awesome. The attached photo of the building is from the prepare camp / compound. Yeah, its big and never finished. The other photo, taken at the end of this past September, shows some drifting smoke from a fire. Warning, the past few years there always seems to be a forest fire or two burning in these areas so you might want to have a plan B.
View attachment 97919 View attachment 97920
Thanks Idahoguy, I appreciate all the good info!! :cool:

Btw, what kind of a prepers camp, like a Y2K camp?:D

I

Idahoguy

Jan 11, 2018
North Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The kind of prepers camp / compound that is very, very expensive and tucked away on a steep mountain side. Millions of $ invested and then not finished. Rumors say the owner was from Texas, got divorced, ran out of money and the Forest Service shut him down. Oh yeah, he supposedly had 13 mil into it. The tools, vehicles etc just left to the elements to slowly destroy.

IMG 0689 IMG 0688 IMG 0699

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
The kind of prepers camp / compound that is very, very expensive and tucked away on a steep mountain side. Millions of $ invested and then not finished. Rumors say the owner was from Texas, got divorced, ran out of money and the Forest Service shut him down. Oh yeah, he supposedly had 13 mil into it. The tools, vehicles etc just left to the elements to slowly destroy.

View attachment 97949 View attachment 97950 View attachment 97951
Very odd....;)

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

So are you saying that the Forest Service annexed private land?

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I looked into that property. It's right near a mine I want to buy off the southern part of the Centennial trail

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So are you saying that the Forest Service annexed private land?
private land inholding surrounded by BLM and NFS page 45 on Benchmark R&R atlas

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
private land inholding surrounded by BLM and NFS page 45 on Benchmark R&R atlas
That’s what I had figured which explains the curiosity of the FS “shutting him down”. ;)

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I looked into that property. It's right near a mine I want to buy off the southern part of the Centennial trail
With an idea of living there?

Reactions: 100Acre
100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
With an idea of living there?
Yes and maybe operating a backcountry B&B/ ATV/SXS hostel. Or turn it into a fortress....and yes, I'd live there. You would be snowed in during the winter months though. The road is winter groomed something like 10-15 miles from the property. The rest is by snow machine or something similar. Lots of wolves in that area too and the locals pretty much hate them.

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Personally I think wolves are beautiful animals but let off in the wild to repopulate with Gov protections allowed this newer breed of wolves to far exceed normal populations resulting in near decimation of most other mega fauna like elk and moose not to mention deer. I have seen only a few in the wild. Cool experience, but probably because I wasn't being eaten...

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not like @CumminsPusher was about to have been....I guess that's K-9 Foods for Thought....

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Personally I think wolves are beautiful animals but let off in the wild to repopulate with Gov protections allowed this newer breed of wolves to far exceed normal populations resulting in near decimation of most other mega fauna like elk and moose not to mention deer. I have seen only a few in the wild. Cool experience, but probably because I wasn't being eaten...
When Ang and I got stuck in that blizzard last year in Gold Creek and had to hoof it out I didn’t find it very cool. Wolf looked directly at us as he crossed our path. Then found there were a bunch more. I wasn’t sure we’d make it out that time, it was hard to reassure her when I was that worried.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Not like @CumminsPusher was about to have been....I guess that's K-9 Foods for Thought....
Haha just commented. Ya that was f***ed!

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 97919 View attachment 97920
I did that ride from Burgdorf hot springs down the French Creek Switchbacks to the Salmon river and then back up(south) along the Centennial trail right by those properties and by War Eagle Mtn and then back into Secesh and to Burgdorf. What an Amazing ride!!!!
Image 5 9 18 at 828 PM

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When Ang and I got stuck in that blizzard last year in Gold Creek and had to hoof it out I didn’t find it very cool. Wolf looked directly at us as he crossed our path. Then found there were a bunch more. I wasn’t sure we’d make it out that time, it was hard to reassure her when I was that worried.
Always carry out there!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Always carry out there!
We were but conditions were s*** we were underdressed and it got dark. Bad movies start that way lol.
When you see one usually he’s the decoy you were supposed to see.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!