Talon Main Power Cable to Winch Circuit Protection ?

Dug2024

Dug2024

"Super Chicken"
Lifetime Member
May 22, 2019
West Georgia
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Installing a winch on my X. Looking things over, including Honda's installation instructions, I see no circuit protection device for the cable that attaches to the start solenoid in the battery box. Am I missing something? Shouldn't that cable have some type of circuit breaker in line? If it were to short out, or the winch were to overload the circuit, it could do damage, or worse catch fire.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
This is correct, you need to add some type of circuit protection. Honda only ran the wire.

Dug2024

Dug2024

"Super Chicken"
Lifetime Member
May 22, 2019
West Georgia
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
I wonder how many have been installed without a circuit breaker.. The Honda instructions specifically show connecting the wire directly to the start relay.. This is what I came up with.. of course I will insulate it well.

20200211 190004

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I wonder how many have been installed without a circuit breaker.. The Honda instructions specifically show connecting the wire directly to the start relay.. This is what I came up with.. of course I will insulate it well.

View attachment 183224
What size circuit breaker did you use?

H

HondaTech

I've installed 100's of Warn winches with power coming directly off the hot post of the starter solenoid and never had any issues.

Every Pioneer and atv I've ever done regardless of winch brand has been installed this way.

Dug2024

Dug2024

"Super Chicken"
Lifetime Member
May 22, 2019
West Georgia
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
I've installed 100's of Warn winches with power coming directly off the hot post of the starter solenoid and never had any issues.

Every Pioneer and atv I've ever done regardless of winch brand has been installed this way.
I just don't like the idea of the circuit not being protected. Piece of mind for me.

Reactions: 906UP
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I'm using the Honda run cable to connect to the isolater, the winch & all other accessories are run off the aux battery

Reactions: Mudwing and Dug2024
J

JerrySwisher

Jan 11, 2021
Bloomsburg PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
This is correct, you need to add some type of circuit protection. Honda only ran the wire.
Is the negative coming from back from honda already hooked up.. seen videos saying when using the leads on my talon x they hooked the positive and negative in battery box. Mine only seems to have a positive there and both up front. Thx in advance

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Is the negative coming from back from honda already hooked up.. seen videos saying when using the leads on my talon x they hooked the positive and negative in battery box. Mine only seems to have a positive there and both up front. Thx in advance
Yes, at least on mine it was. A quick check with an ohm meter will let you know for sure.

H

HondaTech

Pretty sure the ground is already hooked up and the positive is not.

Makes no sense to have a powered hot wire hanging in the breeze not being used. Whereas a ground wouldn't hurt anything.

Reactions: Mudwing
J

JerrySwisher

Jan 11, 2021
Bloomsburg PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Pretty sure the ground is already hooked up and the positive is not.

Makes no sense to have a powered hot wire hanging in the breeze not being used. Whereas a ground wouldn't hurt anything.
Thx for reply.

ToolTime

ToolTime

Oct 10, 2020
Oregon
Ownership

1. Talon X
Most of our winches will draw between 150-250 amps at full load, that’s a pretty big circuit breaker.

Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Surprise,Az Cincinnati,OH
Ownership

1. Talon R
I may be wrong, but I don't know of any car, truck, or motorcycle that has protection between the battery and the starter relay/solenoid. I think if Warn thought it was necessary, they would include protection in their kits.

Reactions: Boundertom
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Out of the winches I've installed over the years, the one currently on my 700 is the only one that came with a breaker. And a few here told me not to install it, as it seems they tend to kick off at the worst possible time...IE during heavy winching, when you need it the most.

Reactions: Doogle
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
I like the waterproof switched circuit breakers. Convenient to cut power off when working on the circuit. Have a Bussman brand 300 amp

99DA483D 6AFF 46BB 9BEA 027CD12FE2A9

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
i agree with putting a break similar to Mudder and mountng in Battery Box where easy to get to in case need to reset. I originally mounted one up under dash where out of way for winch, but when tripped it, had to tear car half apart out on trail to reset it. Just saying, Think ahead

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!