Make or buy nerf bars for 2020 Talon R?

Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Surprise,Az Cincinnati,OH
Ownership

1. Talon R
Went riding the other day and did a fair amount of scrapping on the side plastics. I'm considering making or buying nerfs or kickers now. So far in my early SXS riding life, rocks seem to be my biggest enemy. Looking at the cost of new protection makes me consider making my own. I have time and tools, but would buy used or more reasonably priced if they exist. Any thoughts?

BobFarrell

BobFarrell

Lifetime Member
Mar 17, 2022
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon X
Just purchased a 2021 Talon X and was wondering the same thing. I had the bars on my RZR 800 (along with Alum skid plate) and they were used often in the AZ desert riding. Looking fwd to seeing what others do.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Some aftermarket kickers aren't any more substantial than our ROPS which is only suited for supporting the roof and one gentle tipover. I'd want at least .125" wall thickness.

I like the 1/2" Trail Armor skid assembly which wraps up the sides pretty far.

Trail Armor's photo. They sure are proud of them tho. $$$ :eek:

BobFarrell

BobFarrell

Lifetime Member
Mar 17, 2022
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon X
Some aftermarket kickers aren't any more substantial than our ROPS which is only suited for supporting the roof and one gentle tipover. I'd want at least .125" wall thickness.

View attachment 324986
Besides price, it's gotta add a lot of weight!

Reactions: Blownzuki
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Besides price, it's gotta add a lot of weight!
I ride in the ROCKY Mountains, a 1/2" skid is mandatory so the weight is unavoidable. I've seen some of the damage these guys have done to their Pioneer frames without adequate protection :oops: and I don't want to follow in their shoes. I did hurt myself carrying the box into the garage tho. 😊

BobFarrell

BobFarrell

Lifetime Member
Mar 17, 2022
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon X

View attachment 324986
Other issue I just noticed on this skid plate is that the engine and trans. oil drain holes do not look as large as te factory plate.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Other issue I just noticed on this skid plate is that the engine and trans. oil drain holes do not look as large as the factory plate.
They aren't, it's a tight fit but doable. I've done several oil changes now and found 'most' of the oil finds its way into the drain pan. The messiest opening drain is aimed horizontally (17mm on a Talon). If I ever take the skid off, and remember, I might try to widen it BUT I tried with the skid in place and couldn't even nick the material, it's some tough, abrasion resistant material.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I built these out of 1-1/4" .095 DOM tube. They held up fine to a season of wheel to wheel short course racing and I'll be using the same ones again next season.

I welded 1-1/2" stubs on the frame along with 2 bolt flanges on both pieces to hold them on, 3 total per side.

20200909 211354 resized

Last edited:
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I worked with my local fab shop to make a set of "tree kickers", .120" DOM x 1.75" tube.....used factory mounting holes, started with plates in the factory mounting holes and from there and just bent and welded the tubing out from there.
IMG 6783
IMG 6784

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!