P500 Maxxis Bighorns - impressive

Bushbaby

Bushbaby

Mar 25, 2018
Elliot Lake Ontario, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Installed yesterday and driven home last night. First impressions -easier to steer, softer ride, more stability. Fronts are 26x9R-12 and the rears are 26x12R-12. They look huge compared to the stock tires. The reason I went with the original Bighorns is that I read in other forums (and here) that the 4/5 Lbs per tire lighter weight of the Bighorn 2 came about because of thinning the sidewalls and lugs. Some people were of the opinion that the thinner sidewalls contributed to more flat tires but I wouldn't know one way or the other. Time will tell and I know that my type of driving at my age is not hell bent for leather over terrain full of sharp rocks - if anything it's probably frustrating to the young turks behind me in their Rzr's. :D A few pics of tires that you have all seen before. ;)

Honda pics reduced 106
Honda tires 107 reduced pic
Honda tires 108 reduced pic

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
They look so much better than the stock tires! Glad you are so happy with them.

Rob

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Installed yesterday and driven home last night. First impressions -easier to steer, softer ride, more stability. Fronts are 26x9R-12 and the rears are 26x12R-12. They look huge compared to the stock tires. The reason I went with the original Bighorns is that I read in other forums (and here) that the 4/5 Lbs per tire lighter weight of the Bighorn 2 came about because of thinning the sidewalls and lugs. Some people were of the opinion that the thinner sidewalls contributed to more flat tires but I wouldn't know one way or the other. Time will tell and I know that my type of driving at my age is not hell bent for leather over terrain full of sharp rocks - if anything it's probably frustrating to the young turks behind me in their Rzr's. :D A few pics of tires that you have all seen before. ;)

View attachment 76824 View attachment 76825 View attachment 76826
Are yours the 8 ply Maxxis's?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
My personal all-time fav. Prob not the greatest mud tire ever...but then again, i hate mud anyway.

The only real downside i saw was that they were $$$, but you can tell they are obviously a high quality tire when you see them in person.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
My personal all-time fav. Prob not the greatest mud tire ever...but then again, i hate mud anyway.

The only real downside i saw was that they were $$$, but you can tell they are obviously a high quality tire when you see them in person.
I really liked my stockers on my P1, when the fronts didn't have a busted side wall:confused:. Never had a flat on the rears, but are bigger tires. Even with 8 ply front at 14 PSI, I busted one, so I went with the ITP Black Waters, 8 PSI, haven't had a flat since! These tires and me get along real well!

Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I really liked my stockers on my P1, when the fronts didn't have a busted side wall:confused:. Never had a flat on the rears, but are bigger tires. Even with 8 ply front at 14 PSI, I busted one, so I went with the ITP Black Waters, 8 PSI, haven't had a flat since! These tires and me get along real well!
P1 has a "custom" version of the Big Horn 2.0 thats probably even less durable than the off the shelf 2.0's, which, as mentioned above, were always rumored to be less beefy than the originals the OP has.
The 2.0 is a little more open, so it probably does a bit better and mud....but to hell with mud!!!

Reactions: Bad_bowtie
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
P1 has a "custom" version of the Big Horn 2.0 thats probably even less durable than the off the shelf 2.0's, which, as mentioned above, were always rumored to be less beefy than the originals the OP has.
The 2.0 is a little more open, so it probably does a bit better and mud....but to hell with mud!!!
I agree! With both!

Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I've said it before and I'll say it again: When the ATV/SxS tire hall-of-fame opens, the original BH will be the second inductee behind the basic nobby. Think about how many other tires have copied this tread? They are decent-to-good at everything and wear like iron. And by far the best riding tire I've ever run...yet this translated into ZERO sidewall issues.

I had contemplated buying them for years, and when i started riding in the southwest, i realized that visual back-tracking would be impossible since every little side trail had numerous BH tracks leading off towards the horizon.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I've said it before and I'll say it again: When the ATV/SxS tire hall-of-fame opens, the original BH will be the second inductee behind the basic nobby. Think about how many other tires have copied this tread? They are decent-to-good at everything and wear like iron. And by far the best riding tire I've ever run...yet this translated into ZERO sidewall issues.

I had contemplated buying them for years, and when i started riding in the southwest, i realized that visual back-tracking would be impossible since every little side trail had numerous BH tracks leading off towards the horizon.
I think the difference is weight of machine and speed, not saying anythings wrong with the P 5's speed, they all will get you there!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

For wild sex?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
No - just the regular 6 ply Maxxis. Thought about 8 ply but I was trying for a softer ride and didn't want more tire sidewall stiffness.
Think your good with the P5 weight.

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I love my BH originals, they have held up wonderfully over all types of terrain all across America this past year. Phenomenal tires!

Bushbaby

Bushbaby

Mar 25, 2018
Elliot Lake Ontario, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
An update - went for a short trial ride yesterday of 25Km with the new tires. Trail was a bit gnarly in places with rocky steep uphill/downhill sections. The new tires really grab but I'm going to drop the pressure from 10psi down to 7 or 8 psi. I found that on the rocks the 500 was a bit bouncy. I'm also going to put 1.5" spacers on it as was recommended by a few people as I found in a few places the pucker factor was definitely making itself felt. :eek:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!