Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Awesome tire for the lighter machines! On the 500,700 and on the Wolverine they are perfect. 1000 is a bit heavy and have had many sidewall issues. Great all around tire. I’d still be running them on the 1000 if they stay aired up on that one

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Had concerns about the 2.0's sidewalls at RRB, lots of side rubs against the rocks and potential for pinches. They held up great and went through everything. It's never felt like they were too heavy or robbing power. Hold their own in the mud but sand and snow is where they shine. I'll buy them again when these wear out.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Had concerns about the 2.0's sidewalls at RRB, lots of side rubs against the rocks and potential for pinches. They held up great and went through everything. It's never felt like they were too heavy or robbing power. Hold their own in the mud but sand and snow is where they shine. I'll buy them again when these wear out.
I think, from what I am hearing, they hold up well on the P5'5 and maybe the P 7, but not the pig, P1's

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Yes...BUT, the 2.0's on the p1k are not the same as you would get off the shelf from RMATV, etc. Not an accurate representation of the 2.0.
Really? I liked the way the Maxis worked, I never had an issue with the back tires, but they were bigger. Don't really understand why they are labeled the same?

Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Really? I liked the way the Maxis worked, I never had an issue with the back tires, but they were bigger. Don't really understand why they are labeled the same?
It's a great way for OEM's to brag about how they equip their machines with such awesome tires without actually giving you the awesome tires. All about people skipping the fine print. Someone said the stock P1k 2.0's are like 2 ply or something.

What I don't get is why Maxxis allows the rep of a legendary tire to be jeopardized by making foo foo versions.

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
It's a great way for OEM's to brag about how they equip their machines with such awesome tires without actually giving you the awesome tires. All about people skipping the fine print. Someone said the stock P1k 2.0's are like 2 ply or something.

What I don't get is why Maxxis allows the rep of a legendary tire to be jeopardized by making foo foo versions.
No doubt it does, like Smitty and many others won't ever touch them again because of the 4 ply crap they got on their pioneers.
And like trigger, I will probably go with the "6ply"
Big horns again.
And DG you are right, every where you look on the ground you can see the track of bighorns in the wild:D

JJdog

JJdog

Aug 26, 2018
BC, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
An update - went for a short trial ride yesterday of 25Km with the new tires. Trail was a bit gnarly in places with rocky steep uphill/downhill sections. The new tires really grab but I'm going to drop the pressure from 10psi down to 7 or 8 psi. I found that on the rocks the 500 was a bit bouncy. I'm also going to put 1.5" spacers on it as was recommended by a few people as I found in a few places the pucker factor was definitely making itself felt. :eek:
These tires look great! The original Bighorns sound like they are very tough and I like the look of the bigger tires on the back. I am considering the same setup for my rig but have a couple of questions. Do you notice any power loss due to the weight and height of the tires? I also have a 2017 and I know they don't have the ultra-low 1st gear that the earlier models have so can't pull the big tires as easily. I am also considering the BH 2.0 if weight is an issue.

Also, are there any problems with the 12 inch wide rears mounted on the stock wheels? The Maxxis web site recommends a 9.5 inch wide wheel for that tire and I know the stock rear wheels are only 7.5 inches. The BH 2.0 rears are 11 inches wide and are recommended for an 8 inch wheel (close enough to 7.5) so that is another reason I am looking at the BH 2.0. I definitely want to stay with the stock wheels.

Any advice or observation you (or others) can provide would be appreciated.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
As stated earlier I really liked the Bighorns especially in snow and decided to go back to Bighorn design. Hoping to have good luck with these knockofffs because they are half the price and I surely doubt half as good,they are 6pl, have slightly taller thicker tread. I’ll be trying these out shortly on the 1000. Mud and snow is coming, if it’ll stay up with the Wolverine I’m sold.
This is the 12in version might be worth looking into
DBB39CAF DB40 439F B128 EB6DE2FAE53B

Last edited:
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
As stated earlier I really liked the Bighorns especially in snow and decided to go back to Bighorn design. Hoping to have good luck with these knockofffs because they are half the price and I surely doubt half as good,they are 6pl, have slightly taller thicker tread. I’ll be trying these out shortly on the 1000. Mud and snow is coming, if it’ll stay up with the Wolverine I’m sold.
This is the 12in version might be worth looking into
View attachment 88585
Wish they made it in an 8ply.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Bushbaby

Bushbaby

Mar 25, 2018
Elliot Lake Ontario, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
These tires look great! The original Bighorns sound like they are very tough and I like the look of the bigger tires on the back. I am considering the same setup for my rig but have a couple of questions. Do you notice any power loss due to the weight and height of the tires? I also have a 2017 and I know they don't have the ultra-low 1st gear that the earlier models have so can't pull the big tires as easily. I am also considering the BH 2.0 if weight is an issue.

Also, are there any problems with the 12 inch wide rears mounted on the stock wheels? The Maxxis web site recommends a 9.5 inch wide wheel for that tire and I know the stock rear wheels are only 7.5 inches. The BH 2.0 rears are 11 inches wide and are recommended for an 8 inch wheel (close enough to 7.5) so that is another reason I am looking at the BH 2.0. I definitely want to stay with the stock wheels.

Any advice or observation you (or others) can provide would be appreciated.

No power loss that I can tell and you will find that the 1st gear is still very low - as in you'll go through the windshield if your seat belt isn't fastened if you quickly gear down. I haven't had any problems with the stock rims but then again our trails are so rough/rocky with steep up/down that I'm usually driving very slowly. Probably 5 or 10 mph. Also I dropped the tire pressure again down to 6psi and moved the shocks to the middle setting. Hope this helps.

JJdog

JJdog

Aug 26, 2018
BC, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
No power loss that I can tell and you will find that the 1st gear is still very low - as in you'll go through the windshield if your seat belt isn't fastened if you quickly gear down. I haven't had any problems with the stock rims but then again our trails are so rough/rocky with steep up/down that I'm usually driving very slowly. Probably 5 or 10 mph. Also I dropped the tire pressure again down to 6psi and moved the shocks to the middle setting. Hope this helps.
Thanks. That's really helpful.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Some say that the 2.0's aren't tough enough, thin walled and not as deep of lugs. Two years with these tires now, took them through RRB and and did a ride on Drummond island this weekend, all rocks and water. I've never even had a slow leak. Great all around tire and perfect for the P5 IMO. Throw spacers on if you're sticking with the stock wheels or you'll be on your side. ;)

Reactions: Chooglin

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!