P1000 med kit / trauma

Jas sxs

Jas sxs

Oct 15, 2021
rankin county ms
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I see a lot of post on different ATV & SXS sights and you tube about med kit for small cuts and scrapes , and that is a start ! but it needs to be way more . I am 54 and as a 32 year medic (street ambulance & helicopter ) most of the SXS /ATV , and outdoor accident's have the potential for major trauma ( severe bleeding, shock , ,impalement, broken bones ) etc. . the machines of today all are 45+ mph if you roll one or hit a tree or rock , or if you get ejected and hit a tree or rock or it is on top of you ! major bleeding and shock and can Easley happen resulting in death if the bleeding is not stopped by direct pressure or packing the wound with with a bandage ( look up on you tube and watch some of the videos on how to stop major bleeding ) a little more stuff in your med kit can make a big difference in the out come of someone REMBER WE are out on trails and woods that that is hard to access an ambulance or fire / rescue just cant drive up and help! it will take them a long time to get equipped to get to you YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN for a wile get on line and watch some basic med skills it will help and add some more stuff to your med kit ! hell we can rebuild a SXS with tool kits on the trail Thanks for reading

Jas sxs

Jas sxs

Oct 15, 2021
rankin county ms
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I see a lot of post on different ATV & SXS sights and you tube about med kit for small cuts and scrapes , and that is a start ! but it needs to be way more . I am 54 and as a 32 year medic (street ambulance & helicopter ) most of the SXS /ATV , and outdoor accident's have the potential for major trauma ( severe bleeding, shock , ,impalement, broken bones ) etc. . the machines of today all are 45+ mph if you roll one or hit a tree or rock , or if you get ejected and hit a tree or rock or it is on top of you ! major bleeding and shock and can Easley happen resulting in death if the bleeding is not stopped by direct pressure or packing the wound with with a bandage ( look up on you tube and watch some of the videos on how to stop major bleeding ) a little more stuff in your med kit can make a big difference in the out come of someone REMBER WE are out on trails and woods that that is hard to access an ambulance or fire / rescue just cant drive up and help! it will take them a long time to get equipped to get to you YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN for a wile get on line and watch some basic med skills it will help and add some more stuff to your med kit ! hell we can rebuild a SXS with tool kits on the trail Thanks for reading
will some one please post on the talion form and where ever else it would help I don't know how to do that

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Great idea. Since your making the suggestion and have experience with this in the field, why dont your put something together for this situation that would fit in all machines in a nice place so it wont clutter the storage of the machine. Thats why folks dont have that kind of gear.

BTW, to put it in the Talon section, is to start a new thread just like how you found this one but look for Talon

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yea make a detailed list and like @Remington said come up with a good storage solution. You might just save someone's life. Great topic. Thanks for posting

Jas sxs

Jas sxs

Oct 15, 2021
rankin county ms
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do you have a full ready to purchase kit that you would recommend? Do you have any thoughts on what should be added to basic kits?
if you have a basic kit you can look up IFAK kit on amazon and they have them to buy or you can look at what's in them and DIY one to keep it all dry you can use a large rubber made food storage red lid thig from wall mart, or a water proof box from the camping / fishing dept. at wall mart maybe 6in wide 3 in thick 9 in long or something like that

Last edited:
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Are you referring to something like this?

https://amazon.com/EVERLIT-Emergency-Aluminum-Tourniquet-Military/dp/B08DCQSQ7C/?tag=sxsweb24-20

Is there anything else that should be considered to add to it?

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That's a good idea. My wifes a nurse and usually puts together that package but she was a Psych Nurse, that's why shes with me. You being a Medic would put together a kit related to experience. I agree with some of the others, put together a kit and make a few bucks. Plus you may save one our a??es.

advertisement
Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
💯 agree I carry a TCCC ( gunshot trauma kit ) every where I go. North American Rescue has a good selection for Ideas or a complete kit. This was a drop leg kit but I modified it to mount on my vest PXL 20220728 071636837 PXL 20220728 071654971 PXL 20220728 071654971 PXL 20220728 072214241 PXL 20220728 072232631

Last edited:
Jas sxs

Jas sxs

Oct 15, 2021
rankin county ms
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

Reactions: Buggyman
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Links to YouTube or Google results to give visual direction on how to use kits properly would be very helpful as well.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ll be the jackass that will help you stop bleeding but then will immediately practically pass out as soon as real help arrives. I don’t understand it but that is how I work.

It amuses me at this point. I warn people that I will be perfectly fine but I will be lying on the ground/floor just out of the way as soon as someone else can take over.

I do the same thing with shots or blood draws. I warn nurses all the time. I can even give myself the damn shot but I’m going to need to lay down like two minutes afterwards for about five minutes. I can’t tell you how many nurses have walked back in a room to find me laying on the floor in a pool of cold sweat and they panic. To this day I’ve never gone completely out but I reach the point of tunnel vision often. Neat party trick I suppose.

Seriously though…you don’t need a box of bandaids and alcohol swabs for trauma. You need clean gauze packs and some of the powder stuff that clots the blood. A belt or a stick and shirt will make a tourniquet. It has to be way tighter than you think. If someone is bleeding that badly…better to lose a limb than a life.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ll also add….even poor or hopefully mediocre help is way better than none. People often freeze and/or panic. Don’t say “someone call 911”. Point at someone and yell “you call 911” in your best Dad voice. In a group of people “someone call 911” gets a group of people looking at each other but pointing at absolutely anyone and demanding them to call 911 gets it done. Strange but true.

Jas sxs

Jas sxs

Oct 15, 2021
rankin county ms
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ll be the jackass that will help you stop bleeding but then will immediately practically pass out as soon as real help arrives. I don’t understand it but that is how I work.

It amuses me at this point. I warn people that I will be perfectly fine but I will be lying on the ground/floor just out of the way as soon as someone else can take over.

I do the same thing with shots or blood draws. I warn nurses all the time. I can even give myself the damn shot but I’m going to need to lay down like two minutes afterwards for about five minutes. I can’t tell you how many nurses have walked back in a room to find me laying on the floor in a pool of cold sweat and they panic. To this day I’ve never gone completely out but I reach the point of tunnel vision often. Neat party trick I suppose.

Seriously though…you don’t need a box of bandaids and alcohol swabs for trauma. You need clean gauze packs and some of the powder stuff that clots the blood. A belt or a stick and shirt will make a tourniquet. It has to be way tighter than you think. If someone is bleeding that badly…better to lose a limb than a life.
now with a tourniquet you can do up to 12 -17 hours with out limb loss

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I recently added the following to my first aid kit.

I am running just a standard first aid kit. But swapped into a Milwaukee packout, I had space so I added a few odds and ends.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!