Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
Don’t underestimate the simplicity of duct tape and your surroundings (shirts, jackets, etc, etc.

Not possible to have everything for every situation. Having fancy bandages and such are worthless unless you know how to use and practice with them.

once an accident happens, most peoples adrenaline gets out of control and and all the fancy gear becomes useless. See it all the time.

Keeping a clear head, and calm are the best tools.

gauze, some paracord, and a roll of duct tape can get you by until you get to a real bandaid buggy IMO. Just about anything can be used as splint material.

the idea is to stabilize….not make new.

Just speaking based on my FF / FR experiences.

Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
Don’t underestimate the simplicity of duct tape and your surroundings (shirts, jackets, etc, etc.

Not possible to have everything for every situation. Having fancy bandages and such are worthless unless you know how to use and practice with them.

once an accident happens, most peoples adrenaline gets out of control and and all the fancy gear becomes useless. See it all the time.

Keeping a clear head, and calm are the best tools.

gauze, some paracord, and a roll of duct tape can get you by until you get to a real bandaid buggy IMO. Just about anything can be used as splint material.

the idea is to stabilize….not make new.

Just speaking based on my FF / FR experiences.
Very true

wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Add a pack of SteriStips and look up Zip Stitches. Skin adhesive pads with a zip tie between for pulling a cut together.

Reactions: Jerryg and Buggyman
Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2

Reactions: Jerryg
Bow4life

Bow4life

Supporting Member
Mar 5, 2021
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
These are good ideas, I would also recommend a tourniquet. Not a home made one but an actual tourniquet. Because in a SHTF scenario the average person will not have the brain capacity or fine motor skills to construct one, let alone operate it. (I am not implying people are dumb, just highlighting the body's response to extreme stress) The commercially available ones are designed to be easy to use and very effective. I carry the CAT tourniquet made by North American Rescue. I also like the Israeli bandages, also called a battle dressing. They can cover large wounds and you can wrap them onto themselves and tension them to apply direct pressure. Some of them even come with clotting powder in the dressing. A trauma shear is also very handy, you can cut way more with them than you think. I once cut a cowboy boot off a trauma patient with one. Otherwise band aids and gauze for smaller stuff. I also carry coban (cohesive bandage) for securing gauze over wounds. If you dont know what coban is its the stuff they wrap on your arm to hold the gauze pad after a blood draw. Sticks to itself but not skin. Duct tape and medical tape can be used as well. Someone earlier mentioned a SAM splint, those things work great for stabilizing bone fractures. They are flexible until you put a bend in them, then they are super solid. Ultimately it's up to you what you want to carry and no kit is going to be perfect for everything but it's good to have a baseline. I have been a full time firefighter/emt for 13 years.

Jas sxs

Jas sxs

Oct 15, 2021
rankin county ms
Ownership

1. 1000-5
These are good ideas, I would also recommend a tourniquet. Not a home made one but an actual tourniquet. Because in a SHTF scenario the average person will not have the brain capacity or fine motor skills to construct one, let alone operate it. (I am not implying people are dumb, just highlighting the body's response to extreme stress) The commercially available ones are designed to be easy to use and very effective. I carry the CAT tourniquet made by North American Rescue. I also like the Israeli bandages, also called a battle dressing. They can cover large wounds and you can wrap them onto themselves and tension them to apply direct pressure. Some of them even come with clotting powder in the dressing. A trauma shear is also very handy, you can cut way more with them than you think. I once cut a cowboy boot off a trauma patient with one. Otherwise band aids and gauze for smaller stuff. I also carry coban (cohesive bandage) for securing gauze over wounds. If you dont know what coban is its the stuff they wrap on your arm to hold the gauze pad after a blood draw. Sticks to itself but not skin. Duct tape and medical tape can be used as well. Someone earlier mentioned a SAM splint, those things work great for stabilizing bone fractures. They are flexible until you put a bend in them, then they are super solid. Ultimately it's up to you what you want to carry and no kit is going to be perfect for everything but it's good to have a baseline. I have been a full time firefighter/emt for 13 years.
yes i forgot about coban its good stuff you can go to tractor supply to the horse meds section and they have vet wrap / leg wrap for horses been used since the 70s the same as coban I think that's the beings of coban a little cheaper than coban

someguy1313

someguy1313

Mar 5, 2021
SouthEast
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good stuff in this thread

Add a headlamp to your IFAK.
Amazing after a roll over how lights vanish

Reactions: Scoop and Vikes79
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
These are good ideas, I would also recommend a tourniquet. Not a home made one but an actual tourniquet. Because in a SHTF scenario the average person will not have the brain capacity or fine motor skills to construct one, let alone operate it. (I am not implying people are dumb, just highlighting the body's response to extreme stress)
Agreed. I never thought I'd ever need one, so I didn't carry one. I was very lucky to have been wearing a $10 rain Sterns rain jacket I bought from Walmart that I was able to fashion into a working torniquet.

Honestly, had I not gone through the police academy, I doubt I would have known what to do or survived the car/pedestrian assault. I urge everyone to take a basic trauma/first aid training course. Keeping your wits about yourself is key, and that's only IF you are not unconscious or otherwise overtaken by the shock of any serious injury requiring the use of a torniquet.

I now carry/wear/have nearby a paracord bracelet that can be deployed for use as a torniquet in seconds. I hope to never need to use it for me or anyone else.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!