BOX1

Michigan DNR- Increased ORV access on state forest roads begins Jan 1

Muttly

Muttly

Sep 2, 2017
Mid MI
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Increased ORV access on state forest roads begins Jan 1; check maps for closed areas

See link for more info

Approximately 6,300 miles of roads in Michigan’s 4-million-acre state forest system will open to off-road vehicles Jan. 1, while about 1,200 miles will remain closed.

Signs are not yet in place, but will be installed on roads that are closed to ORV use as soon as possible, depending on ground conditions. ORV riders who intend to use state forest roads are asked to check DNR maps for closures at www.michigan.gov/forestroads. Final maps will be available by Dec. 31.

D

Deleted member 3748

Increased ORV access on state forest roads begins Jan 1; check maps for closed areas

See link for more info

Approximately 6,300 miles of roads in Michigan’s 4-million-acre state forest system will open to off-road vehicles Jan. 1, while about 1,200 miles will remain closed.

Signs are not yet in place, but will be installed on roads that are closed to ORV use as soon as possible, depending on ground conditions. ORV riders who intend to use state forest roads are asked to check DNR maps for closures at www.michigan.gov/forestroads. Final maps will be available by Dec. 31.
I looked at that map yesterday. If their color coding is correct, it opens up all those two tracks we've been riding on for years and there's a bunch of them!

D

Deleted member 3748

See link for more info

What's interesting about this is they're going to mark the forest trails that are closed. But the rest of our trails in MI are assumed closed unless there is a sign saying it is open for ORV use. They always make something confusing so we're not really quite sure what is legal.

Muttly

Muttly

Sep 2, 2017
Mid MI
Ownership

1. 1000-3
What's interesting about this is they're going to mark the forest trails that are closed. But the rest of our trails in MI are assumed closed unless there is a sign saying it is open for ORV use. They always make something confusing so we're not really quite sure what is legal.

I think this new legislation says if it's not posted closed, it's open. The DNR had a year to inventory the forest roads and determine what should be closed.

Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
The dnr email I read said that the ones that will be open will be posted with our orv trail markers starting now with weather permitting. If not marked assume that area is closed. The pigeon river state forest and areas near camp Grayling is one or the areas mentioned. I’ll ride it only if it’s marked on trail to avoid any problems, the Michigan dnr gives “0” F@&$# when it comes to there laws if it’s marked or not! And what @PistonHonda said, they mark a lot of trails that are usually open sometimes closed at other times.

D

Deleted member 3748

The dnr email I read said that the ones that will be open will be posted with our orv trail markers starting now with weather permitting. If not marked assume that area is closed. The pigeon river state forest and areas near camp Grayling is one or the areas mentioned. I’ll ride it only if it’s marked on trail to avoid any problems, the Michigan dnr gives “0” F@&$# when it comes to there laws if it’s marked or not! And what @PistonHonda said, they mark a lot of trails that are usually open sometimes closed at other times.
A lot of Camp Grayling may soon be closed to riding. I didn't ride there anyway, but other people seem upset about it.

Reactions: tr005 and Remington
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
A lot of Camp Grayling may soon be closed to riding. I didn't ride there anyway, but other people seem upset about it.

Yes. Some people use to ride He tank tracks/trails and that was off limits anyway. There probably gona just Enforce it now.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.

Reactions: tr005
Muttly

Muttly

Sep 2, 2017
Mid MI
Ownership

1. 1000-3
ArcGIS Web Application

Looks like they opened a lot more than closed:
Trails

Rbol121

Rbol121

Mar 3, 2018
Livonia, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
can't wait to pick up ours this weekend, 2016 p1000-5. We have a cottage north of oscoda, so we will be getting lots of miles in this year.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
can't wait to pick up ours this weekend, 2016 p1000-5. We have a cottage north of oscoda, so we will be getting lots of miles in this year.
We have a place between Gaylord and Lewiston. We have trails right out our door. Should get together sometime.

Rbol121

Rbol121

Mar 3, 2018
Livonia, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We have a place between Gaylord and Lewiston. We have trails right out our door. Should get together sometime.
RIght on, This will be our first UTV, so we are looking froward to it. We spend almost every weekend and quite a few full weeks up at lake house throughout the summer. Wife and I are actually trying to plan a back pack trip in UP first week of august. Thinking dropping in Manistique and headihng north to Munising for 3-4 days. Man this site is addicting with ideas....

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
RIght on, This will be our first UTV, so we are looking froward to it. We spend almost every weekend and quite a few full weeks up at lake house throughout the summer. Wife and I are actually trying to plan a back pack trip in UP first week of august. Thinking dropping in Manistique and headihng north to Munising for 3-4 days. Man this site is addicting with ideas....
Yup, we have quite a few that’s for sure. You can look at my build “Remmys stroker 30 build” to get some ideas. Mine is a 16’ also. A few of us on here also do the trek the mighty Mac in September. You should plan on doing that as well. There’s a thread for that also.

Reactions: trigger
TeamCheap

TeamCheap

Mar 10, 2018
southeast michigan
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
Well it doesn't look like they opened up anything near us but that's OK because it doesn't look like anything got closed either.
We are close to the southeast corner of bull gap trails (south branch).

Reactions: trigger
99Burban

99Burban

May 1, 2016
Michigan
I am glad i ran across this today. I will be riding Clear Lake to Ma Deeters this weekend and it looks like i have a few more options! Most of the snowmobile trails are now open and that should be fun. I hope the DNR gets some signs up so things are not too confusing!

99Burban

99Burban

May 1, 2016
Michigan
Well the snowmobile trails were not marked for things with wheels but we rode them anyways. Maybe it is still too cold for the guys to get the proper signage up.Ddef40574f3078fbc2362931d2af48b1

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Reactions: Remington
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Well the snowmobile trails were not marked for things with wheels but we rode them anyways. Maybe it is still too cold for the guys to get the proper signage up.View attachment 70055

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
You’ve always ben allowed to ride your sxs on snowmobile trails. Unless you misspoke and meant the new designated logging trails?

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I am glad i ran across this today. I will be riding Clear Lake to Ma Deeters this weekend and it looks like i have a few more options! Most of the snowmobile trails are now open and that should be fun. I hope the DNR gets some signs up so things are not too confusing!

The new Ma Deeters is a lot smaller.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
You’ve always ben allowed to ride your sxs on snowmobile trails....
This is not correct, yes you are allowed to ride state designated ORV routes/trails anytime of the year and some of those may include sections that are also marked & groomed as snowmobile trails. However, in many areas there are snowmobile trails that are off limits to ORV's or are on private property. In those cases an easement has been granted by the landowner for the snowmobile trail from Dec 1st - Mar 31st. Also, in many Northern counties the ORV ordinance prohibits ORV use on the county roads during the winter months.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!