miles vs hours for first service

chicknbroth

chicknbroth

Sep 11, 2021
HSB, Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
i know i am asking a loaded question but for as long as I can remember Honda has had 20 hours or 100 miles. However I just completed the maden trip of my new PK1000-3 SE and now have 8 miles till I hit the the 100 mile mark or 13 hrs till the 20 hrs mark. my first available time to get it in to the dealer is dec 22 of 2021. Whatd do I do? what happens if I go over the hundred mile mark? Does it tun into a Polaris> LOL That is an average speed of 13.2 MPH. with that in mind if i maintained this average 13 hrs x 13.2 mph =171 miles plus the existing 93=264 miles. Do I void the warrenty? Ideas what to do?

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i know i am asking a loaded question but for as long as I can remember Honda has had 20 hours or 100 miles. However I just completed the maden trip of my new PK1000-3 SE and now have 8 miles till I hit the the 100 mile mark or 13 hrs till the 20 hrs mark. my first available time to get it in to the dealer is dec 22 of 2021. Whatd do I do? what happens if I go over the hundred mile mark? Does it tun into a Polaris> LOL That is an average speed of 13.2 MPH. with that in mind if i maintained this average 13 hrs x 13.2 mph =171 miles plus the existing 93=264 miles. Do I void the warrenty? Ideas what to do?
Talk to your dealer mine said hrs is all they care about , and know that will be over sometimes due to scheduling

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You are thinking too hard about this. Take the Dec 22nd appointment and enjoy your ride until then. Or just service it yourself if you are concerned.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Everyone's riding style and environment is going to be different. Honda has to come up with a number that is good across the board. I don't think it is that critical unless you were desert cruising or mudding.

HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
This was my first Honda after 2 Polaris machines, so I went by miles because I was worried about warranty should something happen. so my first ride was 100 miles but only had 8 hours on it when I serviced it. Following miles had me servicing it usually at less that 40 hours and as Lloyd points out there is a financial aspect. The dealer said go by hours. I have switched to 100 hour service. With now 6700 miles I am confident in the machine and unlike my Polaris with 2.5 quarts of oil, the Honda has 6! Also skip the valve checks. That is a huge waste of money, unless you are hearing valve tapping. I did mine at the first service and then later on after a couple thousand miles. Completely unnecessary so it won’t happen with my next Talon.

monbecca

monbecca

Mar 9, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Talk to dealer is the right answer in my book. Close to my miles in middle of summer what! Lol thinking my new ride has to go to dealer for up to 3 weeks. PS: the dealer told me up to X miles is ok

Last edited:
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
It's your buggy. use your own judgement. The most important factor is changing fluid and filters on a routine basis.

I don't strictly follow the schedule because my buggy is a street queen but I have it serviced regularly.

Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Also skip the valve checks. That is a huge waste of money, unless you are hearing valve tapping. I did mine at the first service and then later on after a couple thousand miles. Completely unnecessary so it won’t happen with my next Talon.
I am just wondering if it would be beneficial to record the sound of your engine on a new machine when you first get it and then record it again after so many hours or miles and see if you can tell if it sounds the same each time?

• Wow
Reactions: Smitty335
advertisement
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I do the 1000 mile oil change and I think that's to often, I do 50 / 50 trail and easy riding. The oil has never been dirty other than the first oil change. I ride some technical trails that will have one of the front wheels off the ground a foot, these trails aren't for the LE with out a winch and my cluthes get a work out.

Reactions: Bombardier Convert

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!