More Oil Than I Started With in Crankcase After Roll Over?

Nevada Notch

Nevada Notch

Jul 3, 2021
Carson City
First off, I went turtle (very slow front over roll) in the dunes and rolled it over on its lid. Rolled it back over on its wheels and then after letting it sit for about 10 minutes, I fired it up for a few seconds just to back it up to position it for towing and then immediately shut it down. I didn't want to run it very long because I saw some oil had leaked out.

So, after towing it back to the trailer, winching it onto the trailer and pushing it back into the garage I checked the oil level because some of it leaked out.

Anyway, the oil level is way over full when I'm positive it was right on the money to start with????

Any one have an idea as to why?

Another puzzle where can the oil leak out besides the valve cover vent? No oil in the air box.

Thanks in advance,

Rand

Last edited:
Reactions: Blownzuki and TxDoc
Nevada Notch

Nevada Notch

Jul 3, 2021
Carson City
Hmmmmmm.... Something to look at. The left side of the Talon is where the oil has saturated

Still don't know why I have more oil than I started with.....

Rand

Reactions: Blownzuki
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
First off, I went turtle (very slow front over roll) in the dunes and rolled it over on its lid. Rolled it back over on its wheels and then after letting it sit for about 10 minutes, I fired it up for a few seconds just to back it up to position it for towing and then immediately shut it down. I didn't want to run it very long because I saw some oil had leaked out.

So, after towing it back to the trailer, winching it onto the trailer and pushing it back into the garage I checked the oil level because some of it leaked out.

Anyway, the oil level is way over full when I'm positive it was right on the money to start with????

Any one have an idea as to why?

Another puzzle where can the oil leak out besides the valve cover vent? No oil in the air box.

Thanks in advance,

Rand
Well, crap, I just spent 'awhile' looking for my previous post on this but couldn't find it. :mad:

New version - I HATE Honda's recommended oil checking procedure for a Talon. Warm up, let sit for 2 or 3 minutes (WTF?), check oil level. Not ok in my mind.

So, when I change my oil and filters (6qts. 3.2 oz. (I round that up to 4 oz.)), I do the oil change, run long enough to saturate the filters and let the thing sit overnight - and then, I check the oil. You can decide whether you do it with the dipstick screwed all the way in (my photo) or with the dipstick on top of the threads like Honda recommends. It doesn't matter, you're looking for your baseline.

Once I know where my Talon's full is, that's what I check for, sitting on the trailer, level, in the garage where it lives, without having to warm the damn thing up to check my oil ... so I can check it anytime I want during the week.

This is my full. Don't use this, set your own baseline -
I Jv4qKHq X3

Nevada Notch

Nevada Notch

Jul 3, 2021
Carson City
That's about where my level is, when not screwed in. I'll have to warm it up and check it tomorrow following Honda's recommended procedure. Just paranoid to start the damn thing!

I'm guessing my oil loss is the sub trans. I'll check it also tomorrow.

Rand

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
That's about where my level is, when not screwed in. I'll have to warm it up and check it tomorrow following Honda's recommended procedure. Just paranoid to start the damn thing!

I'm guessing my oil loss is the sub trans. I'll check it also tomorrow.

Rand
u r fine - you already started it

they don't make oil - wish they did - lol

hope everyone is ok and u r back on the trails soon

Nevada Notch

Nevada Notch

Jul 3, 2021
Carson City
Do any of you guys know where the sub trans vent line ends, what the vent end connects to or is it just an open hose?

Rand

Reactions: Blownzuki
advertisement
Nevada Notch

Nevada Notch

Jul 3, 2021
Carson City
Well got done checking all of the fluid levels and engine oil level is good, front and rear differentials are good however, I did loose a 1/2 quart out of the sub trans.

Engine oil......
I am going to let it sit overnight and then file a very small mark on the dipstick so I can tell the fill level after it's been sitting overnight without having to start the engine and then waiting 3 minutes before checking the level.
Thanks for the tip CID!

Thanks guys for all of you comments!

Rand

Reactions: TripleB and CID