Motor stalled

C

chuck

Dec 14, 2013
Been driving in deep snow with heavy throttle for a while when I found a steep hill the pioneer could not handle. I backed up to get some speed a few times, after the 2 try or so the engine stalled. It restarted fine but stalled shortly after under load. I then let it idle a bit and drove off slowly. It did not stall again.

This worried me a bit as it was cold outside and I was alone with my 3 year old. Maybe airbox got covered in snow?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Did it stall as you let it roll back down the hill backwards while still in drive?

C

chuck

Dec 14, 2013
It stalled as I hit the throttle to get going again.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Well.
I have noticed. And same with my Rincon.
If you try to climb a hill but do not go all they way. Let it roll back down to hit it again while leaving it in drive that it will cut off.

C

chuck

Dec 14, 2013
I actually went back down in reverse. There was WAY too much snow to simply let it roll. Oh, well. Maybe snow on the airbox, maybe the cold air, who knows. My valves need adjusting too.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hondasxs said:
Well.
I have noticed. And same with my Rincon.
If you try to climb a hill but do not go all they way. Let it roll back down to hit it again while leaving it in drive that it will cut off.
This almost sound like some sort of safety feature built into the software.
Next time I'm out I'll give it a try in mine and see what happens.

greenatv

greenatv

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2013
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My buddies rinny does this too. Like the converter cancles out or something. Starts right back up no issue.

RacerX400600

RacerX400600

Jun 22, 2013
I have had a Rincon do this if I was hard on the throttle and then chopped it quickly when under load. I think it is a characteristic of the torque converter. It's still basically locked up when the tires stop abruptly and the RPM drops enough to stall the engine.

C

chuck

Dec 14, 2013
Thought I'd give an update on this issue. As stated above, it happens when I let go off the gas quickly when under load. Motor stalls, but restart just fine. Nothing to worry about.

advertisement
slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Was out riding in the snow yesterday and mine did the same thing 3 times.It seems that if under a load like blazing a trail if you let off the gas quick it will stall but starts right up. Seems like it was what was mentioned about the torque converter still lock up and once the motor idles down it stalls because its still locked in.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Do a search under Rincons for this problem. If i recall, one person solved it by going to thinner oil.

How many miles on your machines?

BTW, the Rincon/Big Red/Pioneer do not have a "lock up" torque converter.

H

Hondaholic4

Jan 14, 2014
I had a simmilar issue in single digit weather blazing a trail in 6" of snow (4x4), when i let off the gas it stalled. started fine afterwards so now I'll back off the pedal when under a load as opposed to letting my foot slip off. no problems since. My milage was 50ish (still breaking it in)

hondaslob524

hondaslob524

Feb 4, 2014
Upper Michigan (yooper)
My dealer mentioned that in cold weather conditions that it should get switched to a slightly thinner oil because of issues with the torque converter. I buried mine in the snow and it stalled once on me, I just thought it was a fluke. Guess not!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Hondaslib524, has it stalled more then a few times? Or just that once.
Just wondering, I haven't stalled mine out yet.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Just an update from myself..

I have had this happen 2 times now, one of which was at high elevations ( 7800' ), one of which was hitting the gas after putting it in gear to take off. Like you hit the kill switch. Started right up. Not happened in a month or so now.

Re: Thinner oil. I read a long post about Rincons one night who were stalling after heavy throttle and letting off, and thinner oil seemed to be the cure.

hondaslob524

hondaslob524

Feb 4, 2014
Upper Michigan (yooper)
Hondasxs said:
It only happened once, I had it to the boards and the snow was really deep. I dont recall if i was in drive or reverse. I know I had all four locked in though. Id be curious to know if this has been happening in mostly cold weather conditions or warm as well? I have the factory oil in it yet, im unsure of the weight.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
hondaslob524 said:
Hondasxs said:
It only happened once, I had it to the boards and the snow was really deep. I dont recall if i was in drive or reverse. I know I had all four locked in though. Id be curious to know if this has been happening in mostly cold weather conditions or warm as well? I have the factory oil in it yet, im unsure of the weight.
10-30.
I believe Honda makes a 0-30 mineral oil. A 10-30 synthetic would also help, as syn has better flow characteristics.

hondaslob524

hondaslob524

Feb 4, 2014
Upper Michigan (yooper)
I was going to go with a thinner oil after my initial break in is over. I didnt realize that the stalling was an issue until I seen this thread. I havent had any issues with it shifting funny when its cold either but I always allow my machine to warm up before I ride.

hondaslob524

hondaslob524

Feb 4, 2014
Upper Michigan (yooper)
I went on a 50 mile ride yesterday. I slid off of the trail and was having a hard time getting my tires back on the hard pack. Once again the motor stalled when I would switch gears. I ended up getting it out without shoveling though!

advertisement