P500 Mounting a Winch on a Stock Bumper (INSTALL COMPLETE)

M

MidTN

Apr 12, 2020
Middle Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500
So Tractor supply sent out a sale flyer today that included a Champion 3000lb ATV/UTV winch kit for $72.49. It's a complete kit with the roller fairlead, wired remote, and universal mounting plate. I'm sure there are a lot of opinions here given the fact it's not a Warn, Viper, ect., I get that- I put a Warn on my trail built Jeep but in this case I just want something cheap to be able to use for general utility work around my property. I have a couple of Champion generators and they have been excellent machines, I would recommend their generators to anyone. With that said I have ordered the winch kit so I have a few questions I'd really appreciate some help with...

It says it comes with a universal mounting plate, I plan to keep the stock front bumper, will the Pioneer 500 require me to purchase a special mounting plate, if so could someone please provide a recommendation on a reasonably priced mounting plate that would work?

Lastly, is there anything special I need to know or does anyone have any helpful hints on the installation itself? I had the Warn professionally installed on my Jeep because I'm not the best when it comes to wiring or electrical anything ;)

M

MidTN

Apr 12, 2020
Middle Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks to YouTube I came across the KFI 101215 mounting plate for the Pioneer 500. I have that on order now so I've answered that question. But seriously, I do need any helpful tips on the wiring part. I know this is pretty basic for most but I have to admit I am very electrically challenged :)

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
You are in luck with several detailed wiring threads with the Search feature. To summarize, consider taking the opportunity to run a separate 6ga. wire for the winch motor, directly from the battery, with a waterproofed switched breaker (Bussman 180+amp), close to the battery, then up to a junction block under the hood. I removed the skid plate to ensure a good protective routing. Its a great mod for adding future accessories. Also the OEM sub harness is a great way to get low amp 12v key on power for the controller. Many like myself have also wired in an inexpensive wireless remote. I have used my winch more for chores than getting unstuck (x1).
Forgive me if you have already seen this info.

Reactions: futzin
Olaf

Olaf

Aug 18, 2019
Mn
Ownership

1. 500
It can be a little time consuming I would make sure you can get the battery cover off if not I can tell you how. Get plenty of heavy gauge stranded wire. for soldering ends on the wire I used a small torch like what they use for crack pipes. It takes some time but you will need to tuck and zip tie the wire wherever you can, the skid plate will have to come off to do that, its not hard just takes time. Make final hookup to battery when done.

Last edited:
M

MidTN

Apr 12, 2020
Middle Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks so much for the helpful replies. I found a Champion wireless remote kit for a really good price so I'm just going to go that route. The install looks pretty straightforward so I'll cross my fingers and hope for the best. The winch plate won't be here until next weekend probably so I'll have some time to hopefully figure some things out.

Reactions: Mudder
M

MidTN

Apr 12, 2020
Middle Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500
It looks like the only thing I'm unsure about now is what color and where is the ignition wire that I need to tie into?

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
It looks like the only thing I'm unsure about now is what color and where is the ignition wire that I need to tie into?
Thinking any of the four will work.

Last edited:
Reactions: trigger
Peter_72

Peter_72

Supporting Member
May 31, 2020
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
When I installed my Harbor Freight winch the power leads that go to the battery we’re too short. If you run across this problem a cheap set of jumper cables are a lot cheaper than buying the wire alone. I paid $8 at Walmart for the jumper cables and put new ends on them for another $5.

Reactions: JimmyA
BURNDOG

BURNDOG

Sep 4, 2020
Oregon
Ownership

1. 500
There’s a really good vid on YouTube of a guy mounting a HF badlands winch on a made to fit KFI mounting bracket. Very nice job. I’m gonna follow his lead when I do my winch. Tires roof and windshield first though......

advertisement
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
When investing in cables, consider full copper and not copper coated. More heat potential with a sustained winch pull at 200+ amps than a brief use. Found some at auto store made for custom audio amps. This chart was interesting.
473058CA 39FA 4E6E B96A F589CDA0AED3

Last edited:
Reactions: Splorin and futzin
M

MidTN

Apr 12, 2020
Middle Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500
All the parts were assembled in time to get the install done this past weekend. The KFI mounting plate was a snap. Mounting the winch to the mounting plate was not. It's a centered two bolt configuration. I could not access the bolt head in the back of the winch plate. Took me a few hours to come up with a way to get a tool on this bolt head so I could tighten down the nut on the underside of the mounting plate. Other than that it was pretty easy-peasy. I upgraded the Champion 3,000lb winch kit by ordering the Champion wireless remote kit and installed both the wired switch and the wireless remote controller. The supplied battery cables were too short to run from the battery to the solenoid , but thankfully the winch cables were long enough so I just reversed the cables and it worked out. Thanks to the forum member for suggesting I order the Honda ignition sub-harness. This was the difference maker in my installation making for a clean install as well as expanding possibilities for more add-ons like aux lighting. I'm really pleased with the wireless remote and this little winch really pulls. The total cost of the the winch kit, wireless remote kit, and mounting plate was $166. Tractor Supply gave me a $25 credit on the winch because it didn't ship on time.
PXL 20201018 191212615PXL 20201018 190229392

BURNDOG

BURNDOG

Sep 4, 2020
Oregon
Ownership

1. 500
All the parts were assembled in time to get the install done this past weekend. The KFI mounting plate was a snap. Mounting the winch to the mounting plate was not. It's a centered two bolt configuration. I could not access the bolt head in the back of the winch plate. Took me a few hours to come up with a way to get a tool on this bolt head so I could tighten down the nut on the underside of the mounting plate. Other than that it was pretty easy-peasy. I upgraded the Champion 3,000lb winch kit by ordering the Champion wireless remote kit and installed both the wired switch and the wireless remote controller. The supplied battery cables were too short to run from the battery to the solenoid , but thankfully the winch cables were long enough so I just reversed the cables and it worked out. Thanks to the forum member for suggesting I order the Honda ignition sub-harness. This was the difference maker in my installation making for a clean install as well as expanding possibilities for more add-ons like aux lighting. I'm really pleased with the wireless remote and this little winch really pulls. The total cost of the the winch kit, wireless remote kit, and mounting plate was $166. Tractor Supply gave me a $25 credit on the winch because it didn't ship on time.
View attachment 231038View attachment 231039
Very nice. I was wondering about that 2 hole center mount thing but its not a issue really. It’s wiring I usually have trouble with. The sub harness thing sounds like a good idea for me. Anyone got info or part #s for it?
Other things on my list first but a winch is definitely gonna be added.

M

MidTN

Apr 12, 2020
Middle Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500
Mudder linked info about it in post number 7 above. It was $15 well spent, I did zero wire splicing for the whole install.

Reactions: Mudwing

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!