Moving p500 battery to front hood???!!!???

J

Joccomo

Nov 23, 2014
i am new to the sxs game, but some things just seem to make good sense. And, moving the battery from in front of the right rear tire seems prudent. I plan to use my 500 to hunt ducks and I will be in flooded timber and flooded rice/crawfish fields. I stick to hard bottomed areas and the water is about 18 inches deep but deep holes abound. I had my buddy (who is an electrical engineer) put a honda factory winch on it and while wiring, I asked him about the battery box. He was concerned that if the battery stays submerged, it will drain. And the battery box appears to be designed to allow water in and out easily. It is not water proof. He suggested running lines up to the hood and place the battery there. Has anyone done this? For those that run their p500s in water, what battery issues have arisen? I'd love some suggestions on securing the battery a bit higher in the vehicle. (And I'll hit all the wiring with dielectric grease for sure).

Reactions: Geoff
wyo700

wyo700

Lifetime Member
Sep 26, 2013
Sounds like a great idea and really it doesn't matter it's two wires so put it where you want.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Ya, you should be able to move the battery no problem. Like wyo said, its only 2 wires. Running a bigger battery or a dual battery can get cofusing and become a tasks.
As for draining underwater. Though it could happen, these batteries are not that acceptable to that. I have had my Rincon atv batteries under water for hours duing the summer and got full life out of it. It is stored low just behind the tie. I dont expect you will be that deep on your P5 for hours at a time. Maybe a deep hole here and there.

I assume you will be snorkling. When you do I would like to ask you take some pictures and post please. I would like to see how you did it.
Thanks.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Factory batteries are AGM and sealed, water is not an issue even if it's submerged it'll be a slow drain because even though water conducts electricity it's not the great at it. It's kinda pointless to move it for that reason.(that said don't go to a flooded basement and reset a breaker, it's still good enough to kill you)

Bigger battery for a winch or multiple electrical loads sure, I killed mine on my 700 after winching my tractor out a few times and having the memory circuit powered for the radio I had.. To many severe discharges killed it.

Added an Optima to it no probs with winch now.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
I know this post is a little dated, but thought I'd share. Installed an ammo box under the hood and put auxiliary battery in it to power winch and other e-stuff. Hooked up a Blue Sea mini dual battery kit which is a water proof battery switch and automatic regulator for charging. System auto isolates one battery for starting and has a manual override to use both if need be. Mounted the master switch under the hood too, if you turn it to off (master switch) nobody gets power not even to start.

Cheers,

jrc

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500

Attachments

• JCmmRkPeW1JA8GZ75O2jzn4bJqn-JQKqiZKtLYkQiuE,wjqQFVTCGZ_Hx5u3qb13KAOLP7Y_fsXygYm7obTBjr4.jpg
    JCmmRkPeW1JA8GZ75O2jzn4bJqn-JQKqiZKtLYkQiuE,wjqQFVTCGZ_Hx5u3qb13KAOLP7Y_fsXygYm7obTBjr4.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 7,303
  • PHu3U4eE_XXRsgSxASQgzc6STlzC86GxwNUVXCdMvqg.jpg
    PHu3U4eE_XXRsgSxASQgzc6STlzC86GxwNUVXCdMvqg.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 4,089
  • 5_4xLhjskDCcK6gfF9lR41u6lbg4eQlGRpoT-3Z0rJM.jpg
    5_4xLhjskDCcK6gfF9lR41u6lbg4eQlGRpoT-3Z0rJM.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 1,950
Reactions: JACKAL
sam3006

sam3006

Dec 28, 2014
Damascus, AR
Ownership

1. 500
Nice set up, even if not used for a battery it's a great idea for a tool box.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
sam3006 said:
Nice set up, even if not used for a battery it's a great idea for a tool box.

The ammo box works real well, inexpensive, strong, I used steel nut serts in the frame and subframe to attach the aluminum base plate after making a template from cardboard. Once happy with the base plate mounted the ammo box on the plate and also on sub frame, it's not going anywhere even nasty roll over it'll stay attached with grade 8 bolts I'm thinking.

jrc

Reactions: mrjeff42 and Geoff
J

Joccomo

Nov 23, 2014
Thanks for reawakening this post. I had my e engineer buddy run rig power for the starter thru my winch switch. He also installed a boat style switch just in case I'm submerged pretty deep while hunting. And the battery tray he welded can fit one gel jet ski batt or two of the factory motorcycle batts. Pretty slick. I'll post the snorkel portion of the job on another string that is ongoing. Cheers.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 1,113
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 1,099
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 1,116
Reactions: JACKAL
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Joccomo,
Looks real nice like the twin battery option, my switch is the same (I think) Blue Sea products are top shelf and look to be well built.

jrc

mrjeff42

mrjeff42

Mar 22, 2015
lagrange georgia
Ownership

1. 500
I know this post is a little dated, but thought I'd share. Installed an ammo box under the hood and put auxiliary battery in it to power winch and other e-stuff. Hooked up a Blue Sea mini dual battery kit which is a water proof battery switch and automatic regulator for charging. System auto isolates one battery for starting and has a manual override to use both if need be. Mounted the master switch under the hood too, if you turn it to off (master switch) nobody gets power not even to start.

Cheers,

jrc
thats what i want to do... im not sure how to do all that.... i would love to see some pictures and ask about 20 or 30 questions...lol

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Nice mods fellas, especially liking the ammo can idea, heck looks like 3 or 4 would fit under there for separated compartments.

C

coyhunter

Dec 10, 2015
I am hoping to take that one steep farther. 2nd battery + winch under the hood. I am thinking there is enough room to store the winch in there and use a 11/4 receiver mount. If you have power ran to both ends then it should be easy to remove and connect to the dry end and keep the winch out of the elements hope it fits.

J

jay dawge

Oct 6, 2015
One thing to consider, if you put a front rack on there, or a fixed windshield, it would be a hassle to get at the battery every time you wanted to do electrical stuff, if you have know plans to make mods to the front this would not be an issue. The reason I mentioned this is: On my kawasaki I had a fixed windshield which made it a hassle to access front storage. I wish the manufacturers would consider this in the design. and the after market designers could also facilitate the front storage too. e.g. when making a front rack, have a hinge on the front so it can tip up and a hitch pin on the rear legs of the rack, that way if you get a flat you just remove front cargo, pull the 2 rear hitch pins flip up the front rack, now I can get to my mini compressor and plug kit. I know I am kinda ranting, but front cargo access is not a new issue, it's known to the industry but they just don't feel a need to address it. The thing is, when they make positive changes like this, it adds another item to their bulleted list of items/selling points. I am a designer by trade and I know continuous improvement of your product is what sets you apart from the mediocre.

MrChips

MrChips

Sep 13, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Ownership

1. 500
So I am new to the p500 also, I just ran heavy jumper cable wires to battery under floor for a winch and thought that this would be a pain if I had to jump someone or just get to the battery for some reason on the trail, thought why not just conect those wires together and put battery under hood, so is that what you did and did it work, just want to know that's it's an ok idea to do, thanks, also I just noticed how old this post was

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
So I am new to the p500 also, I just ran heavy jumper cable wires to battery under floor for a winch and thought that this would be a pain if I had to jump someone or just get to the battery for some reason on the trail, thought why not just conect those wires together and put battery under hood, so is that what you did and did it work, just want to know that's it's an ok idea to do, thanks, also I just noticed how old this post was

If going through the hassle, just add a second battery. The days of jumper cables are over with one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015TKUPIC?tag=sxsweb24-20

Reactions: Mudder

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!