P1000 MT/AT light on and slipping going from 2nd to 3rd gear

Hondaboy6

Hondaboy6

Dec 27, 2021
White springs fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m new to the group. I have a 2017 Honda pioneer 1000. I changed the oil in it Saturday and I rode it for hours Saturday night and everything was fine. I go out today to ride it on the farm and the mt/at light is on and it’s slipping going from 2nd to 3rd. I tried doing the dct relearn and it won’t do it. Iv tried unhooking the battery and it doesn’t help. Anybody got an idea of what to try?

Stateboy

Stateboy

Lifetime Member
Apr 5, 2021
Wolverine, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I haven't had the problem but I read where others said the transmission becomes finicky if you don't have a strong battery. What's the status of your battery as far as it's age and voltage reading? If you have a load test device, perhaps you could test it to see what the gauge says to its load performance.

Also, I see this is your first post. Welcome to the forum from Northern Michigan. You better get some pictures posted soon or you'll hear about it from some of the more seasoned troopers around here.

Hondaboy6

Hondaboy6

Dec 27, 2021
White springs fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m not sure of the age of the battery. That’s one thing I haven’t checked. It’s looks fairly new but I know that don’t mean anything. I just bought it back in august. I’ll check that tomorrow. And thank you I will get some posted soon

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did you do anything to cause slippage between 2nd and 3rd gear, like push it hard in a hole or a hill?

The AT/MT is lit up because of a failed initialization. If a clutch pack is shot, you probably won't get a successful initialization until it's replaced.

Voltage is a good place to start, if you're not aware of any event that could have damaged the clutch.

Hondaboy6

Hondaboy6

Dec 27, 2021
White springs fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did you do anything to cause slippage between 2nd and 3rd gear, like push it hard in a hole or a hill?

The AT/MT is lit up because of a failed initialization. If a clutch pack is shot, you probably won't get a successful initialization until it's replaced.

Voltage is a good place to start, if you're not aware of any event that could have damaged the clutch.
No I didn’t all I did was cruise down a dirt road about 20 mph the whole time I was riding it.

Haldog77

Haldog77

NTC's Mafia Enforcer
Lifetime Member
Sep 30, 2019
Bossier City, Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Sounds just like mine when I dumped the #1 clutch pack. It would rev as it shifted to 3rd and 5th. I had to rev the engine to get it to start out in first. I replaced the number 1 clutch and that fixed it. I could not get the MT/AT light to go out until I changed it.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I’m new to the group. I have a 2017 Honda pioneer 1000. I changed the oil in it Saturday and I rode it for hours Saturday night and everything was fine. I go out today to ride it on the farm and the mt/at light is on and it’s slipping going from 2nd to 3rd. I tried doing the dct relearn and it won’t do it. Iv tried unhooking the battery and it doesn’t help. Anybody got an idea of what to try?
Screenshot 20211227 235352 DuckDuckGo

Probably need one of the #2s.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Also if yours Is a early 2017, it may need a updated clutch cover to prevent burning up a new clutch pack.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I appreciate it guys. Sounds like it’s going to the dealership I didn’t buy 5 years of warranty for nothing.
Dont forget the pics! ;)

Reactions: Smitty335
advertisement
Hondaboy6

Hondaboy6

Dec 27, 2021
White springs fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So just an update. I unhooked both batteries for about 10 mins and unplugged the DLC and plugged it back in and then cranked it up and let it warm up and did the relearn and it worked. I’m back in business. I appreciate the input. I’ll get them pictures posted tomorrow when I’m off.

Haldog77

Haldog77

NTC's Mafia Enforcer
Lifetime Member
Sep 30, 2019
Bossier City, Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So just an update. I unhooked both batteries for about 10 mins and unplugged the DLC and plugged it back in and then cranked it up and let it warm up and did the relearn and it worked. I’m back in business. I appreciate the input. I’ll get them pictures posted tomorrow when I’m off.
That is great.

Reactions: Smitty335
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!