Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I haven't noticed any smoke. My first thought was that it must be leaking, but I have gone over the bottom quite vigorously and have not seen any sign of leakage. I don't ride in a lot of mud. I live between the Rocky Mountains and the Purcell Mountains, so most of my riding is on hard packed or rocky trails.
That's strange then. Seems that either thru a leak or getting past the oil rings is the only way it could be escaping???

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
That's strange then. Seems that either thru a leak or getting past the oil rings is the only way it could be escaping???

Getting past the rings, and ever so slightly, that it doesn't blow smoke. That was the conclusion I came to a long time ago.
Haven't went to synthetic in the P5 because I've only put one oil change on it, but at 600 miles...Mobil 1 is going in. ;)

Reactions: JTW
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Getting past the rings, and ever so slightly, that it doesn't blow smoke. That was the conclusion I came to a long time ago.
Haven't went to synthetic in the P5 because I've only put one oil change on it, but at 600 miles...Mobil 1 is going in. ;)
True enough, he did say it was only a few ounces in between oil changes.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
It's very important to keep the air filter cleaned and oiled regularly on the 500 and 700. They have a horrible intake location and filters get dirty pretty quick. We've seen a few take the rings out from neglected air filters. As Honda mentions with the addition of a windshield and rear cab enclosure, if riding in dusty conditions the air filter should be cleaned and oiled daily.
Wow, that's Honda's recommendation? Sounds extreme, but I can see how it's worth it.

Reactions: JTW and iowaguy
iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Wow, that's Honda's recommendation? Sounds extreme, but I can see how it's worth it.
I took my air intake off the fender and zip tied it tight to the rollcage inside the rear cab enclosure and made a big difference,it is now breathing air from inside the cab ,only have to clean 1/3 as often.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I took my air intake off the fender and zip tied it tight to the rollcage inside the rear cab enclosure and made a big difference,it is now breathing air from inside the cab ,only have to clean 1/3 as often.
That sounds like a good idea. Would you mind posting a picture of that sometime?

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
WIN 20160405 180204

WIN 20160405 180204
Air intake pulled in so rear panel goes outside it,

Last edited:
J

JTW

You going full synthetic or a blend?

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Wouldn't running a snorkel on it help?
The rear panel is completely covered with dust after a day of riding for me,so unless the snorkel is inside the cab I think you will still be taking in dust,and besides that, I don't intend to ever go in water deeper than my balls so a snorkel really isn't a need for me.

J

JTW

The rear panel is completely covered with dust after a day of riding for me,so unless the snorkel is inside the cab I think you will still be taking in dust,and besides that, I don't intend to ever go in water deeper than my balls so a snorkel really isn't a need for me.

That makes sense... Do you notice it being louder with the air intake in the cab?

Bhahahaha... But hell, at your age they're only hanging a couple inches from the ground!

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
That makes sense... Do you notice it being louder with the air intake in the cab?

Bhahahaha... But hell, at your age they're only hanging a couple inches from the ground!
not any louder,but at my age I can't hear ,they still sit on the seat beside me when I lift them up off the floor.

J

JTW

Man, you're cruel to us old bastards :D.
I'm just trying to keep y'all young! Besides... I only give s*** to those I like. If I'm nice to ya, I probably wouldn't piss on ya if you were on fire! Lol

J

jimhutch43

Feb 6, 2016
Cranbrook, BC, Canada
Ownership

1. 500

I cut mine off, then used a 90 degree ABS elbow and 18 inches of rubber pipe to bring the input up near the top of the cab. Used JB Weld to fix the elbow to the intake pipe and the rubber pipe extension. Cut the air intake pipe just a bit into the flare, just so it fits into the elbow.

DSCF2589

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!