lrandy129

lrandy129

Curmudgeon
Lifetime Member
Nov 4, 2016
NELA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just ran across this thread. Have you been able to ride it much the last couple of weeks?

Reactions: Crow_Hunter
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Just ran across this thread. Have you been able to ride it much the last couple of weeks?

Not since weekend before last. Just riding around the house and working with it some. I am right at 115 miles now. I am hoping to get to ride this coming weekend at Turkey Bay or maybe at the farm if it isn't raining the whole time. I have some other accessories coming in later this week that I want to put on before my next ride. I will post them up here when I get them mounted.

lrandy129

lrandy129

Curmudgeon
Lifetime Member
Nov 4, 2016
NELA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the updates. Defender would be on my short list if I made a change. One thing I'd be interested in hearing your feedback on after you get some more seat time is the visco-lok front diff. The ability to lock all four in on the Honda is something I like, but I'm not sure how big of a difference it is for most riding.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I added a few more accessories thought I would update it. Unlike my experience with trying to add an OEM bumper to my Honda Pioneer, all these were in specification, no other parts fell off/couldn't be removed and everything fit perfectly.:D

First, something that you guys don't have to worry about ;) but I like to be prepared:

IMG 2452

I was a little concerned about the location of the air intake, although I checked the filter on my last 2 rides and have seen any dust on the filter, I would like a little extra protection. I looked around to see if I could find a universal uni-filter type to fit to it but didn't see anything that I liked then I thought about just searching the BRP website and low and behold, they have an app for that :D. Well technically an accessory. It is actually part of their track kit and it is required if you are running tracks. It isn't as restrictive of a filter as I would like but it will definitely filter out the larger particles and it will work as a mount if I ever need to put an old sock or something on it for extra filtration. :)

IMG 2453

The BRP engineers really thought this out well. Check out the location for the winch remote. I had wondered what the heck that "T" shaped part was under the hood. It is for wrapping the winch cable around and then even incorporated a little snap in place for the winch remote itself there to the left. It just snaps right in and it is secured. I do not like the fact that they don't come with it from the factory however. The XT model (that comes with a winch) really should just come with this. While it is only a $15 part, come on CAN AM. Don't be so cheap!:rolleyes:

IMG 2454

While I tell myself that this is a very useful accessory since I ride in the woods/tall grass it will help protect the machine and if I ever have to push anyone out of the mud or over a rut, it will be very useful. But I am just lying to myself to justify something that I bought because I think it looks so cool. :eek::cool:

(Don't tell my wife though:p)

I added the OEM front bumper plates:

IMG 2456

This is about all for my accessories. I am trying to decide if I want to add a 15" light bar on the front bumper. It has mounting holes already there. Goes right over the giant goofy radiator opening. I don't normally do much night riding but I did last time I went for a long ride and the OEM lights just don't have great coverage. They throw great, but up close they could use some help. I had looked at upgrading the bulbs but from what I understand that doesn't help much.

I stayed in a perpetual state of "hunh?" in my Circuits 1 class in college so I am a wiring noob. I can wire in electrical sockets/light switches but that is about as far as I have ever gone. However, looking at the instructions for the OEM light bar, it seems to be mostly plug and play but I may be reading them wrong.

Are lightbars usually basically plug and play?

elkaholic

elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Looks nice. Superbriteleds.com has a nice 14" camo lightbar on clearance. They also sell a complete wiring harness that is truly plug and play.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Crow_Hunter
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Just an update. We took the Canned Ham up to Turkey Bay to do some riding this morning. We rode for 20 miles in about 4 hours.:eek: I am glad that I didn't take the Pioneer up there. I was running between 7-12 MPH most of the day depending on how bad the rocks were. That is right in the annoying zone for the Pioneer. The Defender was fine in that zone. It rained yesterday so there was no dust but lots and lots of mud. It was not crowded at all. Way fewer people there than the last time I went on my Rincon.

Surprisingly there were almost no ATVs there at all (there were more Jeeps than ATVs). I think we saw 15+ RZRs, 6 Jeeps (in places I would never take them), 1 Rhino, 3-4 Rangers, 1 P700, and 2 P1000s (one a 2016 White and one 2017 LE that looked brand new). Someone also had a Yamaha YXZ 1000 there and didn't seem to be having any problems. Not sure if it was the SS model or not. I was the only Defender that I saw. That is a huge change from when I went there before. Way back in 2009 there were more Jeeps than SXS. I think I only saw one or two then. I remember one was a Big Red. Times have changed. I actually think I had more fun when I had my Rincon there, I felt more comfortable on the narrower trails and could use body english if needed. With the Defender all I could do was press the gas and hold on. My wife had more fun this time though since she wasn't on her Recon.:D

The trails were in quite a bit rougher shape than they were back in 2009-10 (I think that is when I went last). The I just knew I was going to cut a tire on that "A" road loop but didn't, thankfully. I also didn't remember there being that deep of a hole up around the rock garden. Geeze. Deeper than I wanted to get but the Viscolok surprisingly pulled me out not once but twice since I had to go back through.:p There were quite a few challenging (for me anyway) areas that the Defender had no problems with at all. That engine braking sure did come in handy although I think the Honda would have been superior for this than the Defender. It was always either too slow (and slipping the back wheels if I wasn't in 4WD) or it wasn't slow enough (starting out going down fast).

I didn't think to bring my camera with me (I don't have a smart phone) so you will have to imagine by looking at all the Kentucky that we brought back with us.

Upload 2017 8 12 20 22 51

Those rock sliders came in VERY handy today. Probably would have cracked something on the cab without them. Even my wife commented on how she "was glad I got those bumpers for the bottom". :D

Upload 2017 8 12 20 24 38

The Door weatherstripping didn't stop all the water from splashing in but it stopped a big portion of it.

Upload 2017 8 12 20 25 59

That was a little deeper than I intended to go. It isn't super deep but it was deeper than that hole looked to be and extremely slippery. I am glad I had it in 4WD before I hit the hole. (Had to use it to get up that muddy hill)

Upload 2017 8 12 20 28 17

I did not get as much splashing up on the passenger side even though my wife swears that I was intentionally going through puddles on her side to splash her. I think this proves I wasn't, much. ;) Neither one of us actually got splashed. Just a little bit of water/mud slung up now and then. Actually better than my Pioneer was when I took it on muddy field roads.

Upload 2017 8 12 20 30 43

See, she had hardly anything splashing up under her weatherstripping.

Upload 2017 8 12 20 32 17

The mud guards do an excellent job of catching the mud, glad I didn't need to change the belt. :eek: I am going to bring a sprayer with me next time just in case.

Upload 2017 8 12 20 33 57

Very little mud got up under the bed past the mud guards. Didn't even get my hat dirty. :)

Upload 2017 8 12 20 34 47

Mileage so far. Nothing major but I am still enjoying it.

ETA:

I forgot to mention that there was virtually no heat on this machine. Even though we were going really slow in places and running very high RPMs, neither of us got hot at all. (I was wearing jeans and a T-Shirt, my wife was wearing shorts and a T-Shirt) The ambient temp was in the mid 80's so it wasn't super hot but I kept a water bottle in the cup holder just to see and kept taking sips throughout the day and it was never hot to drink. My wife even commented on how there was really no heat and she was glad that we weren't in the Pioneer because we would have roasted.

Last edited:
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Well, I am back from my latest jaunt. Drove some trails and cruised along some levees and rode some field roads.

It was near 90 today and we spent the vast majority of the day in Low Range. I was wearing jeans and a T shirt and never got hot. My brother is wanting a Defender even more now.

Took it to some of the places that I had taken my Pioneer back in the spring. I climbed a 25' tall soaking wet cotton seed hull pile that caused my Pioneer to buck and shudder and just sit and spin and dig down in 4WD. I guess that Visco-lok didn't rob too much of my momentum...:rolleyes:

I actually took it to places I did not take my Pioneer before because I was afraid I would damage something on the Pioneer.

I am up to 250 miles now. No drama, no repairs. I am only 50 miles shy of where I was at with nearly a year of ownership with the Pioneer in less than 3 months with the Defender. I have added significantly more accessories with no problems in a quarter of the time.:D

Happy trails.

drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Mary's Ridge (Dayton Mtn), TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well, I am back from my latest jaunt. Drove some trails and cruised along some levees and rode some field roads.

It was near 90 today and we spent the vast majority of the day in Low Range. I was wearing jeans and a T shirt and never got hot. My brother is wanting a Defender even more now.

Took it to some of the places that I had taken my Pioneer back in the spring. I climbed a 25' tall soaking wet cotton seed hull pile that caused my Pioneer to buck and shudder and just sit and spin and dig down in 4WD. I guess that Visco-lok didn't rob too much of my momentum...:rolleyes:

I actually took it to places I did not take my Pioneer before because I was afraid I would damage something on the Pioneer.

I am up to 250 miles now. No drama, no repairs. I am only 50 miles shy of where I was at with nearly a year of ownership with the Pioneer in less than 3 months with the Defender. I have added significantly more accessories with no problems in a quarter of the time.:D

Happy trails.
Interesting perspective.

ofrcboy

ofrcboy

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2015
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Clearance Can Am Defender 11" Honda Pioneer 1000-5 12.9"

lrandy129

lrandy129

Curmudgeon
Lifetime Member
Nov 4, 2016
NELA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hopefully so. Join the FB Can Am page and read for a bit; he may have figured out that the grass isn't greener.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Or Honda rider, HA!
That guy over examined stuff to the point he killed everything for himself. I’m not sure about riding ability but do know there is no rig that guy will ever be happy with

Reactions: Mudwing

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!