My pioneer doesn’t like cold weather starts!

• Thread starter Walleyedeerpioneer 1000
  • Start date
Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
When it's real cold the battery is just like the ones on the news in the electric cars. They will not charge until they're pre-conditioned, which means they're heating it up first. This is the same with a trickle charger. Most trickle charger instructions say you shouldn't charge a battery below a set temperture. So to get the max cranking amps from you battery when cold you need to pre-condition it, heat it up. These pads are not cheap and I would not want the cheap ones. Anything with electric and heat is a fire hazard. Stick with Canadain or USA made. I can't remember which one I bought but the wattage is really low and you can stick your hand under the wheel well and feel the heat where the battery sets. Cranking when it's real cold it much faster than when I forget to plug it in. There not something you leave plugged in all the time. It only takes a few hours and it's heated.

Reactions: Farmer
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
My s***box started this morning at zero degrees. I replaced the battery about 3 months ago.

20240120 144608

Plowboy1466

Plowboy1466

Lifetime Member
Feb 11, 2018
Ashland, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I added a solenoid and a switch to pair the batteries together for cranking in cold weather. It makes a huge difference!

Reactions: Bighat and Farmer
Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I added a solenoid and a switch to pair the batteries together for cranking in cold weather. It makes a huge difference!
I don't have dual batteries but if I did I would connect them as you have for cold weather. Why not, you need all you can get sometimes. One of the reasons I installed the battery heater in mine is because when It gets below 0 it makes life very hard on me when my rig won't start. I use it for animal care and before I got the Honda my gator battery gave me some trouble in below 0 weather a few days in a row. Not good days. I have several watering holes to bust and shovel ice. I don't need a heart attack so I spent $90 bucks on the heater pad. You can tell a huge difference when cranking with the battery heated up. These are common in up North. I'm in Southern Ohio and most in my area would not need one because they mostly just joy ride but it's a life saver for me. I'm 99, blind, crippled and crazy.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!