Need Clarification on Tire Sizes

Lilcorky

Lilcorky

Jul 15, 2024
Northern Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am hoping someone can enlighten me.

First, let me reference that tires must be sized the same in 4WD trucks to prevent driveline damage.

Now, does this apply to our Pioneers as well? Can the front tire diameter be a different size than the rear? I am further confused as I look at the tires currently on my P1000. Front tires are 27 x 9 and rear are 27 x 11. I measured the diameter of the front and rear and there is a 1" difference in height.

Does this mean that the driveline is somehow designed for this mismatch and deviating from this would cause damage? If I were to put the same size all the way around, would this cause damage?

Thanks in advance!

S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X

4. Talon R

5. Talon R LV
There's a little difference in the OD between fronts and rears but not an inch I'm thinking. You can go to the manufacturer's website and get the OD dimensions. Curious if you checked the air pressure in your tires before measuring?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I am hoping someone can enlighten me.

First, let me reference that tires must be sized the same in 4WD trucks to prevent driveline damage.

Now, does this apply to our Pioneers as well? Can the front tire diameter be a different size than the rear? I am further confused as I look at the tires currently on my P1000. Front tires are 27 x 9 and rear are 27 x 11. I measured the diameter of the front and rear and there is a 1" difference in height.

Does this mean that the driveline is somehow designed for this mismatch and deviating from this would cause damage? If I were to put the same size all the way around, would this cause damage?

Thanks in advance!
You're correct, they need to be close in rolling circumference but you can be pretty sure the stock tires fit that requirement 'close enough'.

On a related note, many times, the front and rear diffs are off by one or two points - engineering wants the front pulling the rear. It doesn't want the rear pushing the front. So when you find that the actual gear ratios aren't exactly the same, don't freak out. :cool:

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Outside diameter can also be altered with different air pressure. When the width of the tires are different and the load of the vehicle is different, the diameter will be different at different pressures. Same concept is applied when the axle load is different. Such as a machine that has a center mounted motor versus one that is rear mounted, versus a machine with a bed that could be full of stuff. Tread depth also changes tire diameter. Imagine some of the most aggressive v tread tires. Some of those have 2" tall lugs. Burn out the rear and never rotate and the next thing you know the diameter is totally different.

On 4X4 or AWD vehicles you need to confirm the outter diameter is correct. The width should not change the outer diameter.

Some AWD cars have different diameter tires front to back. Those are designed that way and have gearing designed for that setup.

The Honda pioneer just needs the front to back outside diameter to be the same.

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You can use inflation to alter the rolling radius.
Most Engineers know that if you are gonna have mismatched tire tollout at varying moments you would rather have it unloaded rather than loaded.
Therefore it’s my Opinion that Honda takes this into account and as weight is added the rear tires squish down a bit and bring the tire rollouts closer to identical.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Also keep in mind that you've got more wiggle room when running off-road vs on-road.

Reactions: ChadD and ODAMO
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just to make it more complex:
Don't forget about the datons and rolled fenders with deep camber to ensure it all fits with no rub when fully dropped lol

• Haha
Reactions: Backwoods and ChadD
advertisement