Need for Speed

J

Jmekeel

Apr 26, 2020
New York
Ownership

1. Talon X
I’m looking for any advice to get more horsepower out of my Talon. Real frustrating when riding with my buddy's, 2 RZR’s, Arctic Cat 700, 2 Polaris Generals and a 900 Ranger, and I can barely stay ahead of the Arctic Cat. My machine is topping out at 70-72, that’s with 30” tires and a Power Tuner 3. Those Polaris can run, hitting 75 plus, 6 hp shouldn’t make that much of a difference. Short of adding a turbo, what else can be done to these things?

Reactions: Lady01
H

HondaTech

Whats a Power Tuner 3? Are you referring to a PV3 from DynoJet?

Without tuning a PV3 is useless.

Hess sells a ported head/cam package to be used with an exhaust and their tune through a PV3. The car we did definitely responded great to that package. But with labor and pistons, it was almost the same money as a turbo.

J

Jmekeel

Apr 26, 2020
New York
Ownership

1. Talon X
Yes, PV3, tuned by Dynojet.
So what your saying is that I need to spend $5,000 just to gain 5 mph, lol. Also, I see some dyno runs and the Honda is losing 20-25hp thru the transmission to the ground.
80-85 hp on the dyno’s.

H

HondaTech

Yes, PV3, tuned by Dynojet.
So what your saying is that I need to spend $5,000 just to gain 5 mph, lol. Also, I see some dyno runs and the Honda is losing 20-25hp thru the transmission to the ground.
80-85 hp on the dyno’s.

The tune eliminates the speed limiter as well. We ran one against my GMs JR turbo and it pulled it for a bit. The turbo was reeling it in, but we ran out of parking lot.

J

Jmekeel

Apr 26, 2020
New York
Ownership

1. Talon X
Yes, the PV3 tune I did increased the rev limiter, change shift pattern to help with the larger tires and changed the fuel/air ratio to make it run better.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Go back to 28 inch tires
^^^ What he said if you want more speed! 30's kill your top end. ^^^
  1. When your speedo says 72 with 30" tires, you are actually going 77 (unless you have installed a speedo corrector).
  2. What tune are you running. The Dynojet, HMF and pwrTune tunes are all garbage and will not give you any more HP and at higher altitudes (above 5000 feet), they are actually worse than stock. The Hess tune is supposed to be a bit better (haven't tried it because I am tired of throwing money out the window) and you may gain a couple HP but none of them are optimized to run anything other than near sea level.
If you want to run larger tires, you could try the Reduction Boss Engineering 25% gear reduction.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
FYI, the Talon engine is tuned and optimized almost perfect from the factory. There are no bolt-on items or tuners that will give you anything noticeable. All the advertising is BS sales crap. They compare their best run against a worse stock run and that is how they come up with their numbers. If they told the truth, there would be no recordable differences and that doesn't sell products.

Even the Talon exhaust is hard to improve and is quite capable of a turbo and 165 HP so there is nothing an exhaust can do except make noise and annual repacking.

IOW, don't waste your money on anything other that engine upgrades or the turbo.

J

Jmekeel

Apr 26, 2020
New York
Ownership

1. Talon X
FYI, the Talon engine is tuned and optimized almost perfect from the factory. There are no bolt-on items or tuners that will give you anything noticeable. All the advertising is BS sales crap. They compare their best run against a worse stock run and that is how they come up with their numbers. If they told the truth, there would be no recordable differences and that doesn't sell products.

Even the Talon exhaust is hard to improve and is quite capable of a turbo and 165 HP so there is nothing an exhaust can do except make noise and annual repacking.

IOW, don't waste your money on anything other that engine upgrades or the turbo.
Thanks for being honest

advertisement
M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
Look man we all want more power but you either can't drive, or you're exaggerating. Barely stayed ahead of a 700cc arctic cat, and suggesting a 900 ranger is faster. Get a grip.

496blazer

Feb 13, 2021
San Martin,Ca
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have to wonder what type of riding conditions you are in where top speed is the priority. Duning? Where I ride you are lucky to break 50 mph on the trail without chancing killing yourself or someone else. Be careful, please.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
If you need the top speed just suck it up and buy a Can-Am Turbo. My buddies are getting 200 hp and a Stupid Fast top speed and they get up to speed fast too. I run my Talon with 28's so I can keep up a little better. There is not very many places here where we can go over 70 for very long. We have one super wide fast desert road where we can go over 100 for 12 miles but no one stays at the high speed very long. Belt drive failure is a problem at prolonged high speed so a belt temp sensor is recommended. I run one on my old Teryx and I think the new Kawasaki comes with a belt temp sensor. I drove my YXZ today and its a fun ride but I'm selling it this summer. Putting a turbo on a 2021 YXZ would be the way to for a good prolonged top speed. There is some weak areas that need to be upgraded but the race shops know what needs to be done.

Last edited:
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
For high speed runs its best to do a pre ride to check for dangerous conditions. 30's hurt the top speed above 4,000 feet and it take more time to get up to speed too. I just hated mine with 30's.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
If you want to run larger tires, you could try the Reduction Boss Engineering 25% gear reduction.
Is this a sub trans IGR that reduces low and reverse only? Do you know of a way to communicate with RBE other than Facebook?

S

Someguy

Jun 15, 2016
Krakow Wi.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Go back to 28 inch tires
Exactly. I had trouble with stock tires getting punctured. I had 5 plugs in one of my rear tires. I replaced my stock tires with 28in Mongrels, they a a 10Ply rated tire, and heavier than stock tire. I still can hit the rev limiter, but gets there slower. I am glad it went with 28's. I don't play in the mud anymore, and just trail ride. 30in tires will take power. I ran Oversize tires on Honda ATV's for more than 20yrs, always lost power on top end.

SpeedBuggy

SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I have 32’s on my 2019 R and the bigger tires are very noticeable on the top end. Not so much in the lower 3 gears. I have the PV3 w/ Hess tune and an Evo slip on exhaust. With the 32’s in sport mode it will pull on my buddies 2020 rocks and trails RZR 1000 on 30’s and easily beat another buddies 2020 KRX on the stock 31’s. Where we ride top speed only matters on a couple short sections or if we are drag racing. Even with a turbo on the Talon, the stock 195 hp can ams or a turbo S will be faster. Like HB said if top speed is all you care about then get a CanAm- and start buying Evo parts.

Are you running good fuel? Do you have 500lbs of accessories and a loaded Yeti cooler on it? Check the air cleaner and optimize your tire pressure for the conditions to get a couple more mph out of it.

Last edited:
D

DMack762

Supporting Member
Mar 3, 2021
South Carolina
Ownership

1. Talon R
I barely break 25mph when we are riding. Tight, twisty trails, rocks, climbs, etc... Heck, I'm in Low i4wd most of the time. My Talon is PLENTY fast for me. Where are you riding where you are holding sustained 70+ mph runs?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I barely break 25mph when we are riding. Tight, twisty trails, rocks, climbs, etc... Heck, I'm in Low i4wd most of the time. My Talon is PLENTY fast for me. Where are you riding where you are holding sustained 70+ mph runs?
Same here. Imagine a wreck at 70 in a SXS......

7BC4B8DD 5DA8 463B B677 F07CD7D364D2

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!