P700 Need help between 700 & 1000

D

Dmaxxx

Dec 20, 2016
In the woods
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I'm going to be getting a pioneer in a few days but I keep going back and forth between the 2. I plan on using either one for farm work such as running cattle, hauling wood, pulling small trailer, hunting rig during hunting season and a little bit of trail riding. Now I had my mind made up on a 17 p700-4 deluxe with the paddle shift then I thought I would want a p1000 then now I get to reading about clutch issues so now I'm confused and i want something dependable.I had a ranger 500 midsize and I sold it and need something to replace it pretty quick also how does the power of the 700 compare to my old 500 ranger?

Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.
I would say the 700 is hands down tougher than the 1000. The drivetrain is proven, and the torque converter transmission will do a better job for utility purposes.

Reactions: QuadMan747
H

Hardwaterflyer

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2015
West Central Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Owned a Ranger 500EFI from 2011 until 2014 when the first Pioneer 700-2 came out. Still have the P2 and have had zero issues. The Ranger 500 and the P2 are similar in power with the advantage to the Pioneer and the transmission. The Ranger is faster. The P2 is the easiest of all the Pioneers to service. I have EZ-TRACKS by Mattracks and power is not an issue. The only feature I miss is the Turf-Mode the Ranger had.

QuadMan747

QuadMan747

Nov 7, 2016
Connecticut
www.cccmx.com
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Other Brand
I'm going to be getting a pioneer in a few days but I keep going back and forth between the 2. I plan on using either one for farm work such as running cattle, hauling wood, pulling small trailer, hunting rig during hunting season and a little bit of trail riding. Now I had my mind made up on a 17 p700-4 deluxe with the paddle shift then I thought I would want a p1000 then now I get to reading about clutch issues so now I'm confused and i want something dependable.I had a ranger 500 midsize and I sold it and need something to replace it pretty quick also how does the power of the 700 compare to my old 500 ranger?

I'd say the 700 and the 500 Ranger should be pretty close power wise. Do you want more power than the 1000 my fit you better, do you want a pretty much bullet proof machine that does everything pretty good the 700 would fit. If your at a very high Alt some guys complain about the 700 not having low range.

D

Dmaxxx

Dec 20, 2016
In the woods
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
it would be nice to have more power but to me reliability out weighs everything, one more thing on the 4 seater does the roll cage get into the way of using the bed for working like loading and unloading stuff and hauling deer?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I would say the 700 is hands down tougher than the 1000. The drivetrain is proven, and the torque converter transmission will do a better job for utility purposes.
You continue to galvanize my thoughts on this with these kinds of posts of yours. I'm glad I have a 700. Just need to do something about those darn cup holders and that rattle in the bed. :)

Reactions: Omcba92
LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
You continue to galvanize my thoughts on this with these kinds of posts of yours. I'm glad I have a 700. Just need to do something about those darn cup holders and that rattle in the bed. :)
Cup Holders fix is easy: P1000 - Cup holder for Yeti
I haven't done it yet but definitely plan to. Do you not have a radio? I don't hear anything rattle over the radio Lol.

Reactions: Tflynn
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was sitting here thinking about the pros and cons of each machine and yes they both have them. I have enjoyed my 700 and it has done everything I have asked it to do. Granted it might be a little under powered but it just keeps chugging. To me the cons of it are: Wish it had turf mode, wish it came with powersteering (I'm fixing that this weekend), better engine breaking when going down steep hills, better starting when its negative temps outside (sounds like some 1000 are having the same problem). The pros of it are: dependable clutch, I don't have to worry about people driving through puddles and the price is way cheaper. I was like alot of people on here with the hopes of upgrading but @CumminsPusher made a comment on here about being a little apprehensive about letting novice or new riders take his 1000 for a spin. That sealed the deal for me and thankfully for my wife she hasn't heard me squake about buying a 1000. I don't want to have to worry if we go on a camp out, if one of my friends wants to take a short drive and is going to splash through a puddle or going to get in a spot and hurt the clutch getting out. Heck I'm sitting here looking at a new polaris we have here at work that has less then 250 miles on it and needs a new belt because someone didn't know how to drive it. Thankfully with my 700 I don't have to worry about giving them a crash course in how to drive it. To me, until they get this questions figured out I will ENJOY my 700.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Cup Holders fix is easy: P1000 - Cup holder for Yeti
I haven't done it yet but definitely plan to. Do you not have a radio? I don't hear anything rattle over the radio Lol.
So that's better, but I drink my beer out of the can, and I'd prefer a dash mount like the P5 and the P1K, I don't know why Honda abandoned their good sense in this regard on the P7. And no, I have no mods to the P7 whatsoever, save the roof and windshield that I added when I purchased it.

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
I was sitting here thinking about the pros and cons of each machine and yes they both have them. I have enjoyed my 700 and it has done everything I have asked it to do. Granted it might be a little under powered but it just keeps chugging. To me the cons of it are: Wish it had turf mode, wish it came with powersteering (I'm fixing that this weekend), better engine breaking when going down steep hills, better starting when its negative temps outside (sounds like some 1000 are having the same problem). The pros of it are: dependable clutch, I don't have to worry about people driving through puddles and the price is way cheaper. I was like alot of people on here with the hopes of upgrading but @CumminsPusher made a comment on here about being a little apprehensive about letting novice or new riders take his 1000 for a spin. That sealed the deal for me and thankfully for my wife she hasn't heard me squake about buying a 1000. I don't want to have to worry if we go on a camp out, if one of my friends wants to take a short drive and is going to splash through a puddle or going to get in a spot and hurt the clutch getting out. Heck I'm sitting here looking at a new polaris we have here at work that has less then 250 miles on it and needs a new belt because someone didn't know how to drive it. Thankfully with my 700 I don't have to worry about giving them a crash course in how to drive it. To me, until they get this questions figured out I will ENJOY my 700.
I am in the exact same boat @tjoreo. Honda has some problems to fix before I even consider getting another machine from them.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
So that's better, but I drink my beer out of the can, and I'd prefer a dash mount like the P5 and the P1K, I don't know why Honda abandoned their good sense in this regard on the P7. And no, I have no mods to the P7 whatsoever, save the roof and windshield that I added when I purchased it.
That holder will work with a can if you put a hugger on it.
There are definitely options on making something. Especially if you haven't put a switch panel in:
http://www.utvoutpost.com/yamaha-rhino-center-dash-dual-cup-drink-holder-diamond-plate-aluminum/

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Or noisy kids. Get you some of those and you won't complain about the rattles.
Oh no, I've done my time with that. :)

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
Yeah I know, I'll be overcoming Honda's pho paw on this.
Me too... The wife and I were actually talking about it last weekend. While you have a drink in the door it gets mud/dirt on it. I need something more in the center of the vehicle. I'm going to be brainstorming on this...

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Me too... The wife and I were actually talking about it last weekend. While you have a drink in the door it gets mud/dirt on it. I need something more in the center of the vehicle. I'm going to be brainstorming on this...
And.....slam the door :eek: And......you have to take your eyes off the trail far too long to dig your drink out from down there.

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
And.....slam the door :eek: And......you have to take your eyes off the trail far too long to dig your drink out from down there.
Yep I totally agree it was a silly decision. Obviously a beer drinker didn't come up with that design Lol.

Reactions: Montecresto
D

Dmaxxx

Dec 20, 2016
In the woods
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I'm going to the dealer in the morning, so choose one 700-4 or 1000-5 remember mostly farm work and hunting.

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
I'm going to the dealer in the morning, so choose one 700-4 or 1000-5 remember mostly farm work and hunting.
To show you the versatility of the 700-4, I don't farm or hunt. My cousin on the other hand does both. We have the same machine, I've just rigged mine up for trail riding. If I had to do it over again right now I'd still go with the 700. I've got significantly less money tied up in it than I would've with the 1K. The only thing I don't have is the power which I'm totally fine with at this point.

Reactions: Elkhunter

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!