P500 Need Help! P500, or Polaris Ranger?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hondarock

hondarock

Jun 19, 2015
Yeah, I know what you mean about wanting to ride and not have to work on it. I am an old retired guy so I go quite a bit. I have had to change the fluids in mine a few times, other than that nothing except the modifications, bucket seats, better tires and beadlocks, windshields etc, no broken belts, no wheels falling off, no broken axles, guess I must be doing something wrong LOL.
I am glad your Honda suits you. I checked the P700 out when it was introduced and was interested until I read some owner feedback. Guess I will keep my Polaris until something better comes along. Maybe the 1000, we will see.

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'll get in on this discussion.
My first ATV I personally owned was a '96 Sportsman 400 2cycle. My next was a '99 Sportsman 500. Then another '01 Sportsman 500, then (2) '04 Sportsman 500 HO's. My '99 and both '04's had the same problem- the slack in the front diff output shaft caused excessive wear at high speeds over time in the strut hubs. All rebuilt under 1000K, and the '99 bombed shortly after its repair causing me to sell. Also, all units would be in AWD randomly at times without engaging the switch. Needless to say, in '06 I went to a Yamaha Grizzly 660. My younger bro got a Kodiak 450 IRS, and my older brother eventually stepped up to the Grizzly 700 EPS. Awesome units. BW the three of us we had zero issues over the years we rode them. They did not float like a marshmallow either, which I loved. Most applaud the Polaris ride, but not for how I ride. Good for the mudding crowd I guess, but not for technical trails. The Yamaha units would accelerate better and had better response due to their initial punch not being absorbed by the marshmallow rear suspension. It's great for putting around the farm, but when your IRS is inverted with two people or a decent load on the unit, that 10" of travel only leaves you with ab an inch of upward travel BC it squats so badly. Even when riding solo, the rebound is horrible, and when climbing steep rocky hills the weight of the unit squats the rear down where you truly only have about 7" of clearance. You can tighten the preload, but after a few months you will be sagging again. My Uncle's Ranger 700 (with the awful McPherson strut setup) does the same. My cousin's Ranger 800 does it as well. However, I was thrilled when Polaris introduced a dual a-arm front as an option (again, I cannot stand the cheap McPherson strut setup). I was so thrilled, I went against my better judgment and purchased a RZR 570. "Sport tuned suspension" sounded great. Owners seemed pleased with the RZR lineup. The new ProStar engine and upgraded clutching system mated to the ProStar was Polaris' fix to their past, sloppy, cheap golf cart clutch system. They finally made a unit ready for abuse. I plunged in. I had two warranty claims in 3 months, and I sold it. Even though Polaris went with dual a-arm, I learned the hard way they still chose cheap components. The bushings are so bad, they wear at a rate that is embarrassing, and if any Polaris owner would jack their front end up they could move their wheel/hub 1/4". That slop causes other components to wear such as the ball joints, tie rod ends, and diff bearings. That is Polaris' main problem. It is a cascade effect where one component wears out followed by another and so on. There are plenty of fixes such as new coilovers, Delrin bushings, etc, but we are talking apples for apples, rolling off the showroom floor, OEM quality- not aftermarket improvemts. I have patiently waited for Yamaha or Honda to come out with a side by side unit that would fit in the bed of a truck, and Honda did. The Pioneer 500. It takes me back to the 90's when the fourtrax 300 and Kawasaki Bayou ruled the trails. Back when bombproof was such a thing. Back when 2.5" of suspension travel and 24" tires were all you got, but you made it work. As we all have, I've seen 2WD Fourtrax 300's do things they shouldn't have been able to do and still ride home. This was when Brand recognition was built on quality. Today's consumer wants it all and wants it now. They will deal with the repairs later. "Look what I got" is greater than "look how long I've owned this." It is partly why I purchased my RZR 570. This most recent purchase, however, was made based on history. The Polaris' are eye candy for sure, but I wanted bombproof. I wanted a brand built on proven reliability, not spec-sheet performance. I did my research, took my time, and made a confident purchase. I didn't jump right in to satisfy my want with the Article Cat Wildcat trail. I waited patiently with due diligence, and made the right decision. I am confident years down the line when I reach for that key on a cold December morning to climb the gap in pursuit of my trophy, it will be a Honda key. The same one I have now. I bought this unit with patience based on history. I set the spec sheet aside and didn't rush. I did it the Honda way. For that, I am thankful.

joey400ex

joey400ex

Mar 18, 2015
Lots of belt issues for those here in Florida with the rangers. I have seen Yamaha's that perform well. But only time will tell if the P500's will last longer, my cards are on Honda. I hog hunt with dogs and bought it because I wanted something smaller that I can fit in tight places, but I really don't want to deal with belt issue which seems to be very common when in the water often.

SBuckJ

SBuckJ

Jan 21, 2015
Central PA
After having a 2012 Polaris Walker Evans RZR for over 3000 miles (my first Polaris) I will say I will never buy another Polaris. Though the machine never left me stranded, with even just moderate driving in central PA, it was constant maintenance. Every other month something needed replaced (a-arm bushings, wheel bearings, U-joint, throttle cable, water pump seal, battery). Though I enjoyed the ride, and seats, of the RZR, after owning ATV's all my life, I had never had a machine need so much time spent on it. After I eyed up the 500 I sold the RZR and never looked back. That being said they are different machines and not fair to compare. I love my 500 (even though most of my friends thought I was crazy-LOL) for different reasons. The shifting, no belt and reliability are the keys. I know a Ranger is not a RZR but I'm good staying away from Polaris. My opinion there and that's what you wanted :)

Reactions: Fordman
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
This is the Honda forum. I would expect nothing less than stories like this. That's why we are all here promoting Honda.

Carry on men

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
You also need to kept in mind when buying new, the pioneer 500 has a list price of $8499 and 1 year warranty.The ranger 570 has a list price of $11499 and 6 months of warranty .The Honda is also a lot more fun to drive with the paddle shifter ! But this argument could go on forever.Its like asking a Ford guy if he should buy a Chevy or Dodge.Buy what you think you want not what someone else tells you to buy ,your the one paying for it.This is the reason I got the pioneer,I knew of Honda's quality from the first day I brought home my new SL100 dirt bike back in the 1970'S

hondarock

hondarock

Jun 19, 2015
The list price of the Ranger 570 is $9999 dude, and my dealer sells them for $7994.

He also sells Honda, and you can get a p500 for $7894.

Clear winner here is the Ranger.

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I went to the Polaris website and msrp is 11299 and up ,I didn't notice that you commented on the warranty issue,I'm not going to argue with you, You have your opinion and I have mine, Like I said its like asking a Ford man if he should buy a Chevy or Dodge

Reactions: Fordman
advertisement
iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
My mistake your right hondarock ,the 570 msrp is $9999 for the midsize. I was looking at the full-size.

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
Clear winner here is the Ranger
hahahha so for the same price youd pick a Polaris over a Honda hahahahahah ooooook because right now with the bed on my pioneer ill out work and out last anything Polaris offers I can fit just as much haul just as much ( don't care what spec sheet says ive done it) fit more places has a better tranny better handling and 1 more thing 10 yrs from now unless I wreck it I will still have it and will still be riding and ull be on your 3rd Polaris in that time frame

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
I don't know about anyone else, but I don't have oodles of money falling from my pockets. When I buy a machine I plan on keeping it til they lay me in the ground, this is why the honda is for me you have to be a total moron to kill one.The last machine I bought (98 450 foreman) is still in my shed, has served me very well, with not much more than routine maintenance, as far as I'm concerned there are NO other options than a honda.

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
I don't know about anyone else, but I don't have oodles of money falling from my pockets. When I buy a machine I plan on keeping it til they lay me in the ground, this is why the honda is for me you have to be a total moron to kill one.The last machine I bought (98 450 foreman) is still in my shed, has served me very well, with not much more than routine maintenance, as far as I'm concerned there are NO other options than a honda.
ill drink to that

Reactions: JACKAL
joey400ex

joey400ex

Mar 18, 2015
I bought the 4 year bumper to bumper warranty, but doubt I will ever use it much.

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
they asked me about the extended warranty I said im buying a Honda not Polaris no thanks hahahah

Reactions: allgm1
hondarock

hondarock

Jun 19, 2015
Nothing like a comment by a Polaris owner to get the post count up. :)

I might end up buying a Honda but it won't be the p500 toy. Do you guys change out the seats on these or do you just use the concrete slab that Honda puts in there?

I notice that the extended warranty is popular on the Viking sites too. Hmmm, legendary reliability,,,, guess I better buy the extended warranty just in case it isn't legendary. LOL

Sure wish that p1000 would get here. :)

advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!