P500 Need Help! P500, or Polaris Ranger?

Status
Not open for further replies.
sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
Why do you polaris people keep saying the p500 isnt selling well? Dealers can hardly keep them in stock selling at msrp. And 2015 is the first model yr, more aftermarket stuff will come. You guys need to ride one on an actual trail... if you are judging based on stock specs/looks you will be disappointed. They really are fun to drive, I was a bit underwhelmed by the specs until I went for a ride in the woods. I can be pretty critical of my equipment but I really like this thing more than I thought. I am anxious to see what it can do with 27" tires and no sway bar.

ksss

ksss

Jul 14, 2013
Just a guess, but with 27's you will be working the hell out of your paddle shifters. You have 475 cc's pulling 1000 pounds of machine plus occupants, larger tires wont improve that situation. As far as dealers keeping them in stock, few dealers are carrying more than one or two at least in my parts of Idaho and North Dakota. The Polaris dealers will have a yard full of RZRs. I have no doubt there are Honda fans that have been waiting for a 50" SXS (I was one as well) and they will buy whatever Honda gives them, but at this stage in the SXS market (6 years since introduction or so), you need to be able to get a considerable amount of conquest customers to capture marketshare and thus excite the aftermarket. The new Honda 1000 I think has the potential to do just that, the P5 not so much.

A good example I think are the threads on the 1000 part of this forum. Guys immediately dissappointed they bought a 700 and trying to dump them after seeing the specs on this big Honda. I would be as well. Looks very promising if your looking for this type of machine. The very same thing will happen with the P5. Honda will offer a 1000 50" or similar and all you guys that say your happy with your small engine, no suspension travel, no lockers, manual only tranny will be dumping them for a Honda Trail 1000 with big power, a real suspension, and lockers with an auto/manual tranny. All the same attributes of the RZR minus the auto/manual tranny. Hopefully Honda will eventually land where they should have initially, but it looks like they are taking the long way in getting there.

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
Well all I can tell you is that this is the first Honda I have owned so its not like I would buy anything they make just because it is a Honda. I am not looking for a RZR type machine... honestly if polaris made a 50" ranger I would have looked very closely at it, I would not be surprised to see Polaris make one now. The rear bed on the RZR is tiny/really high off the ground and it just feels like a mini dune buggy to me, not what I am looking for. I wanted something that is easy to get in/out, affordable, quiet with good reliability, can haul a deer out of tight woods on a rack that is large and a very usable height, can take to the local ORV 50" trails with my 6yr old son and have some fun, and do some work around my property. It fills all those needs perfectly, the unique transmission is a great bonus as well.

Now maybe I am the only customer with those needs but I doubt it. I am not interested in racing down washboard fire roads, jumping berms with 10" of travel. You are looking at the market from your perspective, there are alot of people out there that can have fun without a sport machine. Perhaps Honda will make a 50" sport machine for people with your interests, it looks like Yamaha is about to release something like that, so RZR competition is coming.

Aso, p500s are very low geared with plenty of fender clearance and can handle larger tires with ease. I have not heard anyone mention power issues with 26,27, or even 28 tires.

Reactions: Fordman and jak9922
jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
Again apples to oranges all i heard was blah blah blah rzr blah blah blah polaris and what makes it a utility is the fact it has a REAL transmission geared for low end torque and motor thats tuned for lowend torque again ride one before u speak because from what ur saying you havent and dont even say u have

bigc

bigc

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2013
guys this has got out of hand the name calling and bashing and foul language if you continue you will be banned from the site

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!