P500 Need Help! P500, or Polaris Ranger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nothing like a comment by a Polaris owner to get the post count up. :)

I might end up buying a Honda but it won't be the p500 toy. Do you guys change out the seats on these or do you just use the concrete slab that Honda puts in there?

I notice that the extended warranty is popular on the Viking sites too. Hmmm, legendary reliability,,,, guess I better buy the extended warranty just in case it isn't legendary. LOL

Sure wish that p1000 would get here. :)

Kept mine.
But then again, bought my mattress firm as well to keep my back from hurting too much.
We can't all have quality, firm seats for our rides tho. I'm sure you can find an upgrade for your Polaris if you look.
Only downside, the new seats won't be covered under your extended service plan.

Ross1147

Ross1147

Jun 27, 2015
Florida
Ownership

1. 500
Just joined the site. Sold my Polaris 850 XP last week after replacing both front upper and lower ball joints, both hub bearings, and the starter....which failed the last time I rode it leaving me stranded. It had a 176 hrs on it with 2175 miles. Even after all that I still loved it. The power and the ride comfort were amazing.

Bought a P500 yesterday and I have less that a mile on it so far. I know it has half the suspension travel, but for what I use atv/utvs for it should be fine. Went with a Honda for the exact reason people are stating here, reliability. From past experience and many testimonials from ranchers where I grew up Hondas last forever. Can't wait to get it out next weekend!

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
Just joined the site. Sold my Polaris 850 XP last week after replacing both front upper and lower ball joints, both hub bearings, and the starter....which failed the last time I rode it leaving me stranded. It had a 176 hrs on it with 2175 miles. Even after all that I still loved it. The power and the ride comfort were amazing.

Bought a P500 yesterday and I have less that a mile on it so far. I know it has half the suspension travel, but for what I use atv/utvs for it should be fine. Went with a Honda for the exact reason people are stating here, reliability. From past experience and many testimonials from ranchers where I grew up Hondas last forever. Can't wait to get it out next weekend!
Ross welcome to the group bro check out my posts to see what the p5 can do and who im trying to work with in hopes what the p5 can become

ksss

ksss

Jul 14, 2013
I really wish they would release a RZR equivalent based on the P1000. I am not sure what the sales numbers are, but certainly based on what I see here, Polaris sells at least 3 times more RZRs than they do Rangers. I wish Honda would have taken aim at that portion of the market first with these 1000cc machines. I personally think the 700 was closer to meeting the market competitors than the P5 and its replacement could have waited. The P5 however was obsolete before it was ever released (unless your trying to carve a niche with such a machine, but your not going to compete with others in that segment). Hit the RZR market with a Honda 50" and 62" P1000 with the specs as indicated and you will have a product that can change momentum in this SXS market.

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
I really wish they would release a RZR equivalent based on the P1000. I am not sure what the sales numbers are, but certainly based on what I see here, Polaris sells at least 3 times more RZRs than they do Rangers. I wish Honda would have taken aim at that portion of the market first with these 1000cc machines. I personally think the 700 was closer to meeting the market competitors than the P5 and its replacement could have waited. The P5 however was obsolete before it was ever released (unless your trying to carve a niche with such a machine, but your not going to compete with others in that segment). Hit the RZR market with a Honda 50" and 62" P1000 with the specs as indicated and you will have a product that can change momentum in this SXS market.
You make no sense how was the p5 obsolete or is now it was never ment to compete with the rzr are you serious come riding with me and say the p5 is obsolete!!!!! Have you ever rode one im guessing not honda make REAL utvs UTILITY! !!!! Not racing i bet u wear skinny jeans and drive a mustange v6 stay off the rzr cock and stop following the rest of the "cool" sheep

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Welcome to the Club @Ross1147 !! Glad to have you!

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
You make no sense how was the p5 obsolete or is now it was never ment to compete with the rzr are you serious come riding with me and say the p5 is obsolete!!!!! Have you ever rode one im guessing not honda make REAL utvs UTILITY! !!!! Not racing i bet u wear skinny jeans and drive a mustange v6 stay off the rzr cock and stop following the rest of the "cool" sheep
@jak9922 I really want you to play nicely with others but it's hard for me to keep a straight face man! LMAO

Reactions: JACKAL and Hondasxs
jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
Proof I play with "others" (polaris ppl) lol
PART 1432600256219 20150525 110817

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Keep on playing jak9922 .You are entertaining as all he!!!

Reactions: jak9922
advertisement
Fordman

Fordman

Lifetime Member
Aug 8, 2013
Fayette Al
Ownership

1. 500
We've really been amazed at where these little buggers will go here in the sipsey swamp area ! The lack of diff lock hasn't been a problem for me , I'm not a huge mudder but have been in some pretty tough stuff & no problems thus far

Reactions: SBuckJ and jak9922
ksss

ksss

Jul 14, 2013

Absolutely serious. If it is a 50" SXS machine it competes with the RZR (since they are the market leader). Believe me when I tell you I suck no cock. I wear logging boots with my utility trousers tucked inside and I have for 30 years. If you have seen anything I have posted, I am not "in it" for Polaris even though I own one. I am waiting for Honda to get it together and the 1000 machines look promising. Your not going to hang with anyone on your P5........ sorry well not really but you get the idea. Perhaps if Honda offers a competitive machine in this class (I am really hoping they will and soon) we can be on the same side, until then I guess your going to have to make due with your P5.

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
Just because it has 4x4 doesnt mean a jeep wrangler competes with a ford raptor or a crf to a cbr apples to oranges bro u still make no sense

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
Your not going to hang with anyone on your P5
And no not on a road field or powerlines most of our riding is tight trails and 90% of the time they cant hang with me stop compairing spec sheets

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
(since they are the market leader
because they have been the only one for so much longer then anyone and guess what the cat trail destroys the rzr every step of the way

Last edited:
jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
until then I guess your going to have to make due with your P5
lol I bought the p5 because its what I wanted not because I didn't have a choice if I wanted a rzr I would have one now same with anything else that is what I wanted just so happened I like the p5 and it what I was looking for my group rides to ride not to race yea of course we get on them at some points but there is no dick measuring going on " im faster then you im faster then you" no we say " this is a f@cking amazing ride now give me another beer" every friday

Last edited:
jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
you should compare the ranger to the Honda utvs because it is a utility and I actually almost just a little bit like the ranger

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Absolutely serious. If it is a 50" SXS machine it competes with the RZR (since they are the market leader). Believe me when I tell you I suck no cock. I wear logging boots with my utility trousers tucked inside and I have for 30 years. If you have seen anything I have posted, I am not "in it" for Polaris even though I own one. I am waiting for Honda to get it together and the 1000 machines look promising. Your not going to hang with anyone on your P5........ sorry well not really but you get the idea. Perhaps if Honda offers a competitive machine in this class (I am really hoping they will and soon) we can be on the same side, until then I guess your going to have to make due with your P5.

Honda was very deliberate with their design and introduction of the P500.
It would not benefit the market nor Honda to introduce another sport 50" off the bat for multiple reasons. Pardon the tongue in cheek, but the be a true pioneer and innovator in the industry, you have to compete in all facets. Polaris has the 50" sport sewed up ATM, and the market needed a new class in the 50" world. Thus, a utility minded 50". Honda is attacking Polaris from a facet they cannot fight back. If you want pure sport, sure, you go with RZR. However, now consumers have another choice when they search for a more utility minded vehicle that is also smaller and will fit in a truck bed. The 50" market is a very large and growing segement of the industry, and Honda will directly compete with RZR soon. However for now, there was no intent by Honda to directly compete with the RZR with their P500, rather they carved out a niche Polaris has no answer for ATM. Consumers have proven Honda to be correct, as many owners resound the same intent for their purchase, more utility minded, Honda brand, paddle shifters, etc. There are many who hunt at both of my hunting properties who have zero interest in the RZR as it serves zero purpose for a utility need, but the P500 gives them an option that is definitely knocking on some doors that some have already answered. You, sir, have an intent for a RZR and none for a P500 as you've stated it does not fit your needs which appear to be more sport centered. To each his own, but to claim they are in direct competition and that Honda has failed with the P500 does not bode well for your understanding of simple economics. I would say Honda hit the nail on the head, and also got some great field testing of their paddle shifters before rolling out the 1000. By the way, they must have done something right, BC you admit you are ready to buy a Honda when they drop the sport line. There are many like you who see the paddle shifters, the new dct, and other small things Honda is peppering along the way. They are economically sound, planting seeds along the way so that when they do drop the sport line it will be a takeover. I'll say it again, Honda could have dropped a sport 50" off the bat, but they knew adding another player to the same game would be short sided. They are attacking the entire market year by year, and will most likely own the market two years from now.

ksss

ksss

Jul 14, 2013
500: Let me say this again, I am a Honda fan (which is why I care enough to be apart of this forum). Owned their ATV's for years (since the late 70's), and while I currently own Polaris I am not necessarily a fan of Polaris (but I have not had any serious issues with them since I bought a RZR in 2011). I more disappointed in Honda's SXS strategy for all the reasons I have stated many times prior.

My question to you is what makes a P5 a utility machine? Half the the suspension of the others? half the CC's of the others? Shorter wheelbase, more maneuverable? This could sell some machines but hardly a feature to hang your hat on. Could a 50" RZR not be used equally as well as a utility machine? I would say it could. 500, there are tons of ranchers and farmers out here using them as such AND ride trails on the weekends. There is a saying that goes something like this "A lot can always do a little, but a little can never do a lot". Many on here say that" I don't need a trail machine that goes 60 mph 38 mph out of the P5 is fine". Well maybe, but a RZR can go slow as well. I can also keep up with traffic on the roads and highways that we are legal to run on out here (which is all but Idaho State highways, unless otherwise restricted).

I would argue that a typical SXS utility machine like the P7 or Ranger doesn't need to be 50". Typical utility machines don't operate in confined areas. So Honda feels that they are going to "conquer" the 50" utility market first? Speaking of economics, how many machines do you suppose that equates to? Damn few, check any aftermarket supplier for P5 equipment. Very little aftermarket support for the machines because they are slow selling. Some Honda guys are buying them, but they are certainly not making any marketshare inroads with this machine (and they wont).

This is why I think the P5 does compete, like it or not with the RZR. I doubt you really believe that the P5 and 50 RZR's are not cross shopped. You can bet they are. Your right the 50" market will get bigger, especially if more trails are so restricted. I guess we will just have to disagree about the direction Honda has taken in their quest to take on the SXS market. I think it was foolish to offer a machine that is as underperforming as the P5 and than call it a utility machine, like it is somehow more capable as a utility machine than better performing competitive trail machines.

As for me 500, I ride trails, I don't treat my RZR as a sport machine although the St Anthony sand dunes are just down the road. I am also an excavator by trade and use my RZR as a job site machine. The machine fills those roles very well. Most guys I know use their machines the same way Trail, Utility and for some Sport, one machine does it all, more less.

Honda could own the SXS market following the very same business model as Polaris. All they need to do is offer a Honda quality machine that at least matches the performance of the competition. Do that with a Hondamatic TYPE tranny that can go full auto or manual like the ATV's. Beat Polaris at their own game. This bulls*** of creating a new niche with the p5 is ridiculous.
The test will be this, when or if Honda offers a RZR type 50" machine, watch what happens to the P5. I believe it will go the way of the dodo bird.

Reactions: hondarock
advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!