P1000 Need info/input to make knowledgeable decision

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Been doing a lot of searching and reading on wheel/tires/spacers/arch arms/lifts. I need to try to bring the info all together on one thread if possible to decide which way to go. I realize doing it ALL might be the best way, but I really am not ready to spend that much money or that much time. I DO want the best bang for the buck. I will try to list my priorities.

1. I feel VERY strongly about going ahead and getting bead lock wheels after reading of their benefits. For the money is there any consensus on which is best or which 2 or 3 are tops.
A. I assume it is best to have all 4/5 tires/wheels the same size, will that require spacers in order to keep front/rear width equal?
B. If I understand correctly, spacers help with stability if lifted.
2. I have read that to use 30" tire, requires arched arms ..... correct? Or is it possible to use 30s with just a lift? How much lift? Or what is the biggest with just a lift? I prefer not the cost or time to install arch arms if possible.
A. I have read about Strong Made, HL, and other lifts ...... for the money, which is the best. Any real pros or cons for handling/durability to any of them.
B. I sounds like installing front/rear high lift is easier than front/rear ached arms.
3. Tires .... the stock tires seem to do very well as for traction, but concerned about being only 4ply. Is 8ply what most folks are using. I know there is always the chance to find mud, nearly anywhere, but I am more interest in good tires that will hold up and have excellent traction in rocky hills. What would be your top 3 choices.

Reactions: TripleB
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Been doing a lot of searching and reading on wheel/tires/spacers/arch arms/lifts. I need to try to bring the info all together on one thread if possible to decide which way to go. I realize doing it ALL might be the best way, but I really am not ready to spend that much money or that much time. I DO want the best bang for the buck. I will try to list my priorities.

1. I feel VERY strongly about going ahead and getting bead lock wheels after reading of their benefits. For the money is there any consensus on which is best or which 2 or 3 are tops.
A. I assume it is best to have all 4/5 tires/wheels the same size, will that require spacers in order to keep front/rear width equal?
2. I have read that to use 30" tire, requires arched arms ..... correct? Or is it possible to use 30s with just a lift? How much lift? Or what is the biggest with just a lift? I prefer not the cost or time to install arch arms if possible.
A. I have read about Strong Made, HL, and other lifts ...... for the money, which is the best. Any real pros or cons for handling/durability to any of them.
B. I sounds like installing front/rear high lift is easier than front/rear ached arms.
3. Tires .... the stock tires seem to do very well as for traction, but concerned about being only 4ply. Is 8ply what most folks are using. I know there is always the chance to find mud, nearly anywhere, but I am more interest in good tires that will hold up and have excellent traction in rocky hills. What would be your top 3 choices.
Keep it stock, upgrade the shocks and the tires and enjoy. No matter the lift there will be a rock 1 inch higher. Lol

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Like @sharp said. 28's, beadlocks & shocks. Used Fox shocks come through here occasionally and on the FB pioneer forums. 5-2 Front and 4-3 rear wheel offset to keep it the same width F & R without spacers and would be around 1" wider each side with that offset. Can add a 1" spacer all around later if wanted. Keep a stock front wheel/tire for a spare.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Like @sharp said. 28's, beadlocks & shocks. Used Fox shocks come through here occasionally and on the FB pioneer forums. 5-2 Front and 4-3 rear wheel offset to keep it the same width F & R without spacers and would be around 1" wider each side with that offset. Can add a 1" spacer all around later if wanted. Keep a stock front wheel/tire for a spare.[/QUOTE
OK ..... got anything for .....

Reactions: sharp
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
OK ..... got anything for .....
Terrabite, Carnivore & Blackwater Evo for me. From least to most aggressive. Really depends on the terrain. Those are all lightweight 8 ply rated. Weight is a big deal.

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
RB3offroad

RB3offroad

Vendor
Nov 2, 2017
Tempe, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Spacers help with the Stability and stance. It does not have to be lifted. With stock tires and 1" all around is a great setup- makes a huge difference or if your looking for an Agressive set up go with the wide track bundle which is 1" spacer in front and 1 1/2 in the back - this is our best seller.

J

JTW

Well, I was once in your shoes and tried several combinations. I ended up with arched a arms (the forward offset is what’s necessary for the 30’s and why we do the arched)... 2.5” HL lift, 1.5” spacer up front and 2” on the rear. The STI HD original beadlocks are about 100 and I like them. Fox shocks are great for the $$.. As for tires... I really really like my Braven Berserkers. They are a VERY good all around tire. They’re tough as hell, ride great and really good traction in a multitude of environments! They also run 50% off sales fairly often.

Now, if I were you and you would rather not do a arms... I would look at a 28” Braven Berserker tire with 12” 5+2 sti beadlocks and 1” spacers for the front and 1.5” spacers for the back. And then add some fox shocks. That would give you are really really good combination to do what you’re asking. I would not do a 14” wheel on the 28’s... I don’t think it allows enough sidewall to allow for the ride comfort we all desire. 14’s and 30’s are great... but you will have to run a arms with 30’s and if you go the 30” Berserker route you’ll have to run the lift. 12’s and 28’s will solve a lot of the ride and upgrade issues folks typically run into. The Berserkers run very true to size and I don’t think you’ll be disappointed or want “more” if you follow this setup. I’ve ran the stock wheels, the stock wheels and 28” terribites and now beadlocks with the 30’s and spacers. The spacers really do help with stability. The lift give you clearance both ground and tire to fender. But if you’re really not desiring to add a arms (which add a lot of other tweaks you to the setup) then this is the route to go. If I were doing it all over and had gone this route to start. I don’t think I would have ever wanted to go the 30” route.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Well, I was once in your shoes and tried several combinations. I ended up with arched a arms (the forward offset is what’s necessary for the 30’s and why we do the arched)... 2.5” HL lift, 1.5” spacer up front and 2” on the rear. The STI HD original beadlocks are about 100 and I like them. Fox shocks are great for the $$.. As for tires... I really really like my Braven Berserkers. They are a VERY good all around tire. They’re tough as hell, ride great and really good traction in a multitude of environments! They also run 50% off sales fairly often.

Now, if I were you and you would rather not do a arms... I would look at a 28” Braven Berserker tire with 12” 5+2 sti beadlocks and 1” spacers for the front and 1.5” spacers for the back. And then add some fox shocks. That would give you are really really good combination to do what you’re asking. I would not do a 14” wheel on the 28’s... I don’t think it allows enough sidewall to allow for the ride comfort we all desire. 14’s and 30’s are great... but you will have to run a arms with 30’s and if you go the 30” Berserker route you’ll have to run the lift. 12’s and 28’s will solve a lot of the ride and upgrade issues folks typically run into. The Berserkers run very true to size and I don’t think you’ll be disappointed or want “more” if you follow this setup. I’ve ran the stock wheels, the stock wheels and 28” terribites and now beadlocks with the 30’s and spacers. The spacers really do help with stability. The lift give you clearance both ground and tire to fender. But if you’re really not desiring to add a arms (which add a lot of other tweaks you to the setup) then this is the route to go. If I were doing it all over and had gone this route to start. I don’t think I would have ever wanted to go the 30” route.
Good info. I'm going to get the 28" evos on my stock 12" wheels. If i have any issue with the stock wheels, I'm gonna get the 12" beadlocks. I've been reading post for almost a year now and I like how u go from off the wall s***, to being a dick, to good solid helpful info. Lol

RB3offroad

RB3offroad

Vendor
Nov 2, 2017
Tempe, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
RB3offroad has spacers and we have the discount code taketen for $10off for the group. any orders over 120.00.

Reactions: sharp and BigOL3
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, I was once in your shoes and tried several combinations. I ended up with arched a arms (the forward offset is what’s necessary for the 30’s and why we do the arched)... 2.5” HL lift, 1.5” spacer up front and 2” on the rear. The STI HD original beadlocks are about 100 and I like them. Fox shocks are great for the $$.. As for tires... I really really like my Braven Berserkers. any idea what the 28x12 weigh? the chart I saw only showed larger tire weights. They are a VERY good all around tire. They’re tough as hell, ride great and really good traction in a multitude of environments! They also run 50% off sales fairly often.so far the price I found was $171, I will have to keep looking ... lol

Now, if I were you and you would rather not do a arms... I would look at a 28” Braven Berserker tire with 12” 5+2 sti beadlocks and 1” spacers for the front and 1.5” spacers for the back. will that route keep width same front and rear, are slightly off? Would 1 front, 2 rear be nearer to equal? And then add some fox shocks. That would give you are really really good combination to do what you’re asking. I would not do a 14” wheel on the 28’s... I don’t think it allows enough sidewall to allow for the ride comfort we all desire. are the Berserkers a lot stiffer than most other of the same size? 14’s and 30’s are great... but you will have to run a arms with 30’s and if you go the 30” Berserker route you’ll have to run the lift. 12’s and 28’s will solve a lot of the ride and upgrade issues folks typically run into. The Berserkers run very true to size and I don’t think you’ll be disappointed or want “more” if you follow this setup. I’ve ran the stock wheels, the stock wheels and 28” terribites are the 28" terribites more flexible and lighter than the Berserkers? Did you have any problems with tire coming off stock wheels? Was this ride comfort similar to the 28x12 Berserkers? Is the traction of Terribites close to the Berserkers? and now beadlocks with the 30’s and spacers. The spacers really do help with stability. The lift give you clearance both ground and tire to fender. But if you’re really not desiring to add a arms (which add a lot of other tweaks you to the setup) then this is the route to go. If I were doing it all over and had gone this route to start. I don’t think I would have ever wanted to go the 30” route.
Good info, thanks!

Reactions: JTW and sharp
Bradley-Thornton

Bradley-Thornton

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hattiesburg MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5

1. Beadlock is the way to go in my opinion but I would say go with a 14in wheel no less. This will give you more options on tires.
A. yes,
B. Yes
2. depends on the 30s (One thing I tell people is if you have a little rubbing you can get a heat gun and a softball heat the plastic in that spot push it in with the softball then hold till it cools. This can give you a ton of more room.
If I had 30s I would have no lift for sure but thats just me.
C-fabs lift/A-arms will let you go all the way up to a 32in tire it has a 3in lift built in (this is the best bang for the buck)
A. I would buy 814 shocks and skip the rest.
B. yes it is easier but they both are very simple.
3. I've been looking at this a ton also and it looks to be what do you want to spend. I have 2 I'm looking at.
Tusk Kevlar Terrabite Tire and MRT Crawlers

What I have learned after going to the Takeover is its hard to have it all. I ride in the mud in MS so I'm lifted 32s with Gear Reduction and outback tires. But to ride in TN you need more of a low to the ground big tire setup.

If I was you I would buy 814 shocks, 14in or 15in beadlocks 30in tire (Using the softball trick if needed) (Brand up to you), I would ride without spacer first then decide if I wanted the wider stance the downside is it want turn as good. (Thats just my option)

Last edited:
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
1. Beadlock is the way to go in my opinion but I would say go with a 14in wheel no less. This will give you more options on tires.
A. yes,
B. Yes
2. depends on the 30s (One thing I tell people is if you have a little rubbing you can get a heat gun and a softball heat the plastic in that spot push it in with the softball then hold till it cools. This can give you a ton of more room.
If I had 30s I would have no lift for sure but thats just me.
C-fabs lift/A-arms will let you go all the way up to a 32in tire it has a 3in lift built in (this is the best bang for the buck)
A. I would buy 814 shocks and skip the rest.
B. yes it is easier but they both are very simple.
3. I've been looking at this a tone also and it looks to be what do you want to spend. I have 2 I'm looking at.
Tusk Kevlar Terrabite Tire and MRT Crawlers

What I have learned after going to the Takeover is its hard to have it all. I ride in the mud in MS so I'm lifted 32s with Gear Reduction and outback tires. But to ride in TN you need more of a low to the ground big tire setup.

If I was you I would buy 814 shocks, 14in or 15in beadlocks 30in tire (Using the softball trick if needed) (Brand up to you), I would ride without spacer first then decide if I wanted the wider stance the downside is it want turn as good. (Thats just my option)
Being in SE La., we have plenty of mud, BUT I am waaaaay past my mud riding days and do all possible to avoid it now. Most of my recreational riding will be in the hills ...... somewhere.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!