P1000m5 Nerd's First Attempt...

nerd

nerd

Aug 22, 2017
KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Greetings all - I'll start with a thank you for facilitating and participating in such a great resource - it's proved invaluable to me thus far, and I'm sure I'll need it for continued help throughout the build process (and, well - ownership).

I thought it would would interesting to chronicle my progress and solicit valued feedback from the community, and if possible, help anyone else in the process by providing a template.

I'm starting with a 2017 1000-5 Deluxe. Add ons from the dealer include:
  • Honda hard top roof
  • Honda 2-piece poly windshield
  • Honda front bumper / brush guard
  • Honda rear bumper
  • Honda bed mat (my attempt to keep dirt / debris out of the seats for my kids in the back when doing work around the farm)
My goal: build a functional, practical, dependable, and FUN ride for work and play that can accommodate my young and growing family (currently 5 of us).

So without further rambling, let the fun begin!

Pioneer

nerd

nerd

Aug 22, 2017
KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
To achieve the noted goal above, I plan to add the following:
  • Dual battery setup
  • LED's (2 pods in front, 1 center in front, 2 pods in back, 1-2 interior)
  • Winch
  • Switches
  • Heat shielding and fan (alright, the heat issue is complete BS)
  • Vent relocation
  • Wire it all up so works and won't leave me stranded

I put together a detailed parts list below for anyone to reference (and anyone who wishes to, critique). Again, I'm coming at this totally new and based pretty much solely on research done here, so whenever I do something wrong, I plan blame the community instead of taking responsibility.
There's also some miscellaneous stuff like heat shrink connectors, fuses, etc.

I'll be the first to admit, there is almost certainly a way to do this cheaper. Unfortunately with 3 kids 4 and under, I'm short on time - so convenience (aka Amazon) has a dollar figure attached to it - and it's the difference in cost.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would seriously consider having a custom panel made. It will cost more with a quakity switch. www.otrattw.com
There are a few members here that have custom panels in stock and will sell to you quickly.
If you want to design your own, feel free to message me. We can work on a design you like, and find you someone local that will waterjet or plasma cut it with a .dxf I/you supply to them.

It is easy to add a hole for a radio, extra blanks for future modifications etc.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sounds like a solid plan. Personally I would add some type of snorkel in there. Even with the "improved" version of Hondas air intake. The peace of mind it brings is totally priceless. There are a few out there that can be removed without a trace of it ever being installed (in case you need warranty work). Also, may I suggest a wireless controller for the winch? That's one of my all-time favorite mods. Love being able to operate the winch from anywhere I want without dealing with cords. Mine is roughly 18mos old and still using battery that came with it. Just a thought. Oh, and very nice looking machine.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sounds like a solid plan. Personally I would add some type of snorkel in there. Even with the "improved" version of Hondas air intake. The peace of mind it brings is totally priceless. There are a few out there that can be removed without a trace of it ever being installed (in case you need warranty work). Also, may I suggest a wireless controller for the winch? That's one of my all-time favorite mods. Love being able to operate the winch from anywhere I want without dealing with cords. Mine is roughly 18mos old and still using battery that came with it. Just a thought. Oh, and very nice looking machine.
2nd with Delton is saying. + extending vent lines if you or he did not already say that. You have a solid plan and look well organized. Look forward is seeing the install pictures

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Sweet looking ride.

Let the fun begin!

Reactions: sharp
nerd

nerd

Aug 22, 2017
KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would seriously consider having a custom panel made. It will cost more with a quakity switch. www.otrattw.com
There are a few members here that have custom panels in stock and will sell to you quickly.
If you want to design your own, feel free to message me. We can work on a design you like, and find you someone local that will waterjet or plasma cut it with a .dxf I/you supply to them.

It is easy to add a hole for a radio, extra blanks for future modifications etc.

Good feedback. I will definitely keep this in mind for the future should I have problems or need additonal switches or radio. I saw a lot about custom panels but was hesitant ordering a custom piece out of the gate. Easy to swap out in the future once I find out what I like / don't like and want to change. Thanks

Reactions: pct and sharp
nerd

nerd

Aug 22, 2017
KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
2nd with Delton is saying. + extending vent lines if you or he did not already say that. You have a solid plan and look well organized. Look forward is seeing the install pictures

Thank you both. I'll research snorkels more. I did order a vent relocation kit to cover that base. The "new owner must dos" was helpful to point out some of the big deficiencies like the heat issue and short vent lines. I don't plan to get in deep water but I'm also familiar with Murpheys Law!

I'll also look into a winch remote in the future. Priority 1 is the get everything up and running, then tweak as I go. And my wallet needs to recover right now, haha.

Thanks for the feedback and compliments all!

Last edited:
Reactions: sharp
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you both. I'll research snorkels more. I did order a vent relocation kit to cover that base. The "new owner must dos" was helpful to point out some of the big deficiencies like the heat issue and short vent lines. I don't plan to get in deep water but I'm also familiar with Murpheys Law!

I'll also look into a winch remote in the future. Priority 1 is the get everything up and running, then tweak as I go. And my wallet needs to recover right now, haha.

Thanks for the feedback and compliments all!
We have all been there and know about the wallet recovery. You are making good choices on your mods and have a plan. I don't go through deep water but I have already been through deeper water than I planned on a couple of times - good piece of mind

Reactions: sharp and Delton
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We have all been there and know about the wallet recovery. You are making good choices on your mods and have a plan. I don't go through deep water but I have already been through deeper water than I planned on a couple of times - good piece of mind
Exactly. I bought my snorkel in hopes I would never need it. And I have. Couple times in fact lol. Can also relate to the wallet thing. I don't have much of a budget either. Luckily alot of my mods I made myself. Just an fyi but the wireless remote is around 15 bucks off Amazon. If you're ever interested I can post a link. Hope you have as much fun building yours as I did with mine. Nothing flashy here. Everything on my rig is to make it more trail worthy. Don't even have a stereo lol.

Reactions: Kolton and sharp
nerd

nerd

Aug 22, 2017
KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
UPS guy is wearing out my driveway. Most of my list has arrived, still waiting on a few items that got delayed, presumably from weather. Thoughts and prayers for those in TX, LA

Hope to get hands dirty starting tomorrow!

IMG 4572

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
UPS guy is wearing out my driveway. Most of my list has arrived, still waiting on a few items that got delayed, presumably from weather. Thoughts and prayers for those in TX, LA

Hope to get hands dirty starting tomorrow!

View attachment 52973

Isn't it great to know that Santa now drives a big brown truck?!?!

nerd

nerd

Aug 22, 2017
KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Most everything has arrived, so I'm ready to start laying things out... which means I have questions!

I've read a lot of the dual battery threads using the True isolator (or similar). My goal is to run only one voltmeter and a "master" SPST switch off the Honda accessory key on wire - and everything else off the 2nd battery (jump in if I'm wrong here).

I plan to start with installing the dual battery setup, then the winch, then the fuse panel, circuit breaker, solenoid, wiring and switch panel last. Based on the dual battery walk thru you tube video (thanks Dragon21!) I have an idea how to do this, but a couple questions:

1) from the fuse panel, I run a positive and negative to each accessory switch, correct? Which terminals / posts do these need to connect to?

2) What about jumpers between posts and between switches?

3) And to which posts do I then wire in my accessory positive / negative?

My switch panel came pre wired so it wasn't immediately clear how to wire for my situation (using the fuse panel). Thanks in advance

IMG 4577 IMG 4578

Last edited:
Reactions: pct
pct

pct

Lost in the hills
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 10, 2016
Letart WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome from WV nice ride and sounds like you have a plan

Reactions: nerd
nerd

nerd

Aug 22, 2017
KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sorry I meant to as
Most everything has arrived, so I'm ready to start laying things out... which means I have questions!

I've read a lot of the dual battery threads using the True isolator (or similar). My goal is to run only one voltmeter and a "master" SPST switch off the Honda accessory key on wire - and everything else off the 2nd battery (jump in if I'm wrong here).

I plan to start with installing the dual battery setup, then the winch, then the fuse panel, circuit breaker, solenoid, wiring and switch panel last. Based on the dual battery walk thru you tube video (thanks Dragon21!) I have an idea how to do this, but a couple questions:

1) from the fuse panel, I run a positive and negative to each accessory switch, correct? Which terminals / posts do these need to connect to?

2) What about jumpers between posts and between switches?

3) And to which posts do I then wire in my accessory positive / negative?

My switch panel came pre wired so it wasn't immediately clear how to wire for my situation (using the fuse panel). Thanks in advance

View attachment 53078 View attachment 53080

Disregard, I did some internetting and I think I figured it out.

nerd

nerd

Aug 22, 2017
KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Made some progress earlier today. True isolator installed (still have to wire up voltmeters). Winch mostly installed and mostly wired. Had to go get some 6ga butt connectors to finish up. FYI for anyone who clocks the terminals, it's like feeling around in the dark - you'll get there eventually. If you're unsure, call CS, I talked to real live person when I called Superwimch - first person that answered to, couldn't believe it.

Also got the circuit breaker, solenoid and fuse block semi-wired in (but not complete). Switch panel is in place but not wired in yet. Winch plug installed but not wired. Hope do some more wiring tonight and actually run lights tomorrow. Will post as I go. Thanks all.

IMG 4583 IMG 4585 IMG 4586

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Don't you just love it when a plan comes together?!?!

Reactions: nerd