CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Welcome from the once great state of Colorado. 😎

Did anyone mention a 1/2" skid assembly yet? The stock plastics are little more than a dust cover. I have the Trail Armor and like the way it wraps up the sides but tree kickers will take care of that. Factory UTV and Super ATV are two other options.

Yes, Mudbuster type protection helps a LOT but might get scrapped off if you're in tight woods all the time.

Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
So I bought a new 2021 1000x-4 se about 3 weeks ago. Been too snowy and cold to really run it. But I checked all fluids, tightened the clamps holding the intake hoses to throttle body and tried shifting through the gears from park to reverse to high and low. It all seemed to run smooth. I did have the dealer adjust the shift cable before pick up but it seems to properly engage in every position. Anything I am missing before running her when weather cooperates?
welcome from Ohio

M

Moog5050

Feb 6, 2022
Rochester
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Welcome from the once great state of Colorado. 😎

Did anyone mention a 1/2" skid assembly yet? The stock plastics are little more than a dust cover. I have the Trail Armor and like the way it wraps up the sides but tree kickers will take care of that. Factory UTV and Super ATV are two other options.

Yes, Mudbuster type protection helps a LOT but might get scrapped off if you're in tight woods all the time.
I have the aluminum ricochet skids on my outlander 1000max. They have served me well. I have to look for a set for the talon! Thanks.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have the aluminum ricochet skids on my outlander 1000max. They have served me well. I have to look for a set for the talon! Thanks.
Aluminum will deform over time and every bend will get closer to important parts. The new generation plastics will absorb shock and pretty much return to their original shape. Plastic also slides over rocks whereas alum will tend to stick to them. It's my understanding that plastic is quieter than alum.

M

Moog5050

Feb 6, 2022
Rochester
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Aluminum will deform over time and every bend will get closer to important parts. The new generation plastics will absorb shock and pretty much return to their original shape. Plastic also slides over rocks whereas alum will tend to stick to them. It's my understanding that plastic is quieter than alum.
Interesting. I have tno say I have been really hard on the outlander and the plates have been great. They actually are two piece with a thick plastic bottom. But I have no objection to all plastic. What do you run?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Interesting. I have tno say I have been really hard on the outlander and the plates have been great. They actually are two piece with a thick plastic bottom. But I have no objection to all plastic. What do you run?
I totaled a snowmobile when the homemade alum skid snagged a hidden rock, instead of ricocheting off of it. The sled stopped dead, bending the tunnel - total. When I became interested in SxSs two years ago, I was skeptical of the plastic but became a convert now that I have one. They sure are proud of them, though $$$ :oops:

I have the Trail Armor since it was recommended here. Note how far they run up the sides. However, the FactoryUTV runs further forward, up under the winch better. i need to copy @PaulF 's photo of the FUTV for comparison, maybe he'll add it.

Trail Armor's photo -

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
That's definitely something I'd like to add to mine. After today's ride I should consider it, those huge rocks were brutal!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Do it before you do the inevitable damage if you don't. :oops:
View attachment 322878
Looks like the terrain I was in today. If I didn't just drop over a ton of money into it (turbo kit, engine management, wideband sensors, half doors etc) I'd grab a set... However, I'm going to wait a few weeks then possibly pick up.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Buggyman
M

Moog5050

Feb 6, 2022
Rochester
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
I totaled a snowmobile when the homemade alum skid snagged a hidden rock, instead of ricocheting off of it. The sled stopped dead, bending the tunnel - total. When I became interested in SxSs two years ago, I was skeptical of the plastic but became a convert now that I have one. They sure are proud of them, though $$$ :oops:

I have the Trail Armor since it was recommended here. Note how far they run up the sides. However, the FactoryUTV runs further forward, up under the winch better. i need to copy @PaulF 's photo of the FUTV for comparison, maybe he'll add it.

Trail Armor's photo -
View attachment 322856
Do you have to drill into the frame when installing this brand? Hate to do that. They do look nice. And how the heck does one turn the machine on its side. lol

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Do you have to drill into the frame when installing this brand? Hate to do that. They do look nice. And how the heck does one turn the machine on its side. lol
Yes, Trail Armor has you drill a 'few' additional holes in the frame to make a more secure mounting. The crappy, plastic skid doesn't need these holes because there's no structure in it anyway, so they can just 'tack' it on. Being 1/2" thick and tough as nails, adding a few additional fasteners makes the entire chassis stronger.

Once upon a time, I was an OCD idealist - drilling holes in a frame was unthinkable to me - then I grew wiser. There are holes everywhere in our frames, they're structurally irrelevant. If you live/ride in a wet/humid area, coat each screw/bolt with RTV or your sealer of choice if you're concerned about rust. I don't expect you to 'turn the corner' right now, just think about it, it will make your future less stressful. As pretty as they are when new, the environment we use them in will rough them up pretty quickly.

I installed mine with it on the ground, didn't even jack it up or pull it onto blocks etc. If I can do it being north of 70, you'll be good.

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
Another welcome from The Great Lakes State.

#NTC

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!