Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
hello everyone, im excited to have just purchased my first sxs. A pioneer 1000-5. I have many questions about upgrading it, but the first thing i want to do is put a frame brace on and a kid plate kit that will work with the frame brace..so if you have recommendations, please share...look forward to hearing from yoy

View attachment 198623
Welcome from NE Missouri, nice rig!

R

Robain79

Apr 22, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
so, it looks like trail armor or factory utv is the way to go with skids...i have found a couple threads with people welding supports to the crossmembers. Its making me a little nevous. You would think for the price of these machines they could take a little more abuse. Like I said, its my first sxs and i got a Honda, well, because its a Honda...i dont plan on abusing it but want to have fun and not worry about damaging it. Guys I haven't even taken delivery of my rig yet. I drive a big truck and bought it over the phone. Wont be home to pick it up till sometime next week. Im searching everywhere for trails and ready to get it and get out there.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Welcome Robain79. Lotta great info here.

Is there an inherent weakness to address in the frame?
Thanks

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
It depends on what you intend to do with your machine. The lack of gussets or bracing on the top of the front side of the lower A-Arm mounts and where the upper A-Arm mounts at the frame makes them a weak point. There are a few of us that usually look for the hardest way through something, and have welded gussets and bracing in these spots as well as the cross members on the underside that span the frame. @ToddACimer, @joeymt33 , and @GlockMeister have some good photos and write-ups on how they did theirs in their respective build threads. If you aren't planning on lots of rock crawling or extreme trails there isn't a need to beef these things up.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
so, it looks like trail armor or factory utv is the way to go with skids...i have found a couple threads with people welding supports to the crossmembers. Its making me a little nevous. You would think for the price of these machines they could take a little more abuse. Like I said, its my first sxs and i got a Honda, well, because its a Honda...i dont plan on abusing it but want to have fun and not worry about damaging it. Guys I haven't even taken delivery of my rig yet. I drive a big truck and bought it over the phone. Wont be home to pick it up till sometime next week. Im searching everywhere for trails and ready to get it and get out there.
Check out my post above. Some would call what we take ours through "abuse", but I call it a challenge :). Check out some of the videos posted in the Overland thread from last year for an idea on what some of us consider "fun" 😂 .Your machine will be great, get in and go enjoy it. The people you see bracing crossmembers and welding in gussets are the guys that are going where a lot of sport sxs's won't even go.

R

Robain79

Apr 22, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Check out my post above. Some would call what we take ours through "abuse", but I call it a challenge :). Check out some of the videos posted in the Overland thread from last year for an idea on what some of us consider "fun" 😂 .Your machine will be great, get in and go enjoy it. The people you see bracing crossmembers and welding in gussets are the guys that are going where a lot of sport sxs's won't even go.
Thats cool, and to be honest, looks like fun to me! Haha, I want mine to be strong in case I get a wild hair sometime..hold my beer right!? I just want it to last and be dependable. Thanks for the reply

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Either of those skids are a good choice. A winch and a full coverage skid are the only two "must have" mods IMO for a solid trail machine. It really depends on how and what you generally ride as to what mods you need/want from there.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I might be one of "those guys". So on my second Pioneer I really didn't take any chances. If it got bent or dented on the first one, it got beefed up on the second one, before I ever drove it. Frame gussets on the a-arms, crossmember reinforcements on the frame etc are mostly just lessons learned. Yes you can drive these machines through a ton with no issue but for me I wanted a little more. I'm a test and development engineer at another off road vehicle OEM, so breaking things isn't just a hobby. My second machine was definitely fun to build and incorporate the "fixes" but just being nicer to it would have saved some labor.

R

Robain79

Apr 22, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I might be one of "those guys". So on my second Pioneer I really didn't take any chances. If it got bent or dented on the first one, it got beefed up on the second one, before I ever drove it. Frame gussets on the a-arms, crossmember reinforcements on the frame etc are mostly just lessons learned. Yes you can drive these machines through a ton with no issue but for me I wanted a little more. I'm a test and development engineer at another off road vehicle OEM, so breaking things isn't just a hobby. My second machine was definitely fun to build and incorporate the "fixes" but just being nicer to it would have saved some labor.
Sounds like a dream job

Ultrasonic1

Ultrasonic1

Lifetime Member
Sep 1, 2018
Nomadic
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Your close to a lot of great trails people travel cross country to ride. Woo pig! Your machine will perform great as is in most places. You’ve gotta keep in mind that some of the guys you see here are the Apex predators of the Pioneer world. And like @Adam490 said, they take those machines down trails most people wouldn’t dare. I’m pretty conservative with mine since it usually has my two young daughters in the back, but it’s cheap insurance to overbuild it. And working on it is half of the fun for me.

advertisement
RB3offroad

RB3offroad

Vendor
Nov 2, 2017
Tempe, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome and Have some fun. What kind of riding do you want to do????

Reactions: Robain79
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Welcome from Georgia. Glad to have you join in the craziness here.

Reactions: Mudwing

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!