New Honda 1000R trans bang during shift

B

bearphoto

Jun 15, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
Newbie here, former RZR owner. So I bought the new 2020 Talon 1000R. It has 1 mile on it. I take it up the street and trans shift from 1-2 and 2-3 sounds like two pipes banging together. A loud metal bang sound. Just during the shift, otherwise its good. Anyone have or had that? I'll try it again Saturday when I'm off but damn it did not sound good!

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Yup, welcome to the DCT world, they are quite noisy especially if your used to a belt drive machine.

Reactions: TripleB
strubby

strubby

Jan 9, 2020
Central FL
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Came from a RZR too. The DCT noise is something to get used to. It's supposed to be quieter after first service, but mine seems about the same. I've read Synth blend with Moly makes a difference, haven't tried it yet.

TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you search YouTube for 2020 C8 Corvette. Listen to it's DCT tranny upshift at full throttle and especially the C8R on a long run upshifting. It's literally a banging /slamming noise. It takes milliseconds.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Came from a RZR too. The DCT noise is something to get used to. It's supposed to be quieter after first service, but mine seems about the same. I've read Synth blend with Moly makes a difference, haven't tried it yet.
The moly blend goes in the sub trans, not the engine/dct. Moly in the DCT will wreck the clutches.

B

bearphoto

Jun 15, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
The trans is not noisy while driving. This is a single loud bang like taking a pipe and striking another metal pipe one time. But it does it from 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. May do it beyond that but after these two loud bangs I took it back to the house and it has sat since then.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
The trans is not noisy while driving. This is a single loud bang like taking a pipe and striking another metal pipe one time. But it does it from 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. May do it beyond that but after these two loud bangs I took it back to the house and it has sat since then.
The DCT is actually a split shaft manual transmission with 2 clutches that shifts via computer command and shift motors. It uses gears similar to a motorcycle and automatically shifts and applies the clutches for you. The noise you are hearing is similar to what you hear when you press the clutch and shift a large bike like a Harley.

The common misconception with a DCT is that the RPM change that feels like an automatic shifting is not the entire "shift" sequence but rather only the last part of it at the point when the transmission changes from one clutch to the other. The "Bang" (I actually describe it as a "Clunk") you are hearing is actually the transmission shifting the next or previous gear just prior to disengaging the engaged clutch and engaging the disengaged clutch. That clunk is the actual gear shifting. It is how a DCT works, the shift occurs something like this...
  • Gear section 1,3,5 in 1st gear.
  • Clutch 1 engaged, clutch 2 disengaged.
  • Shift requested (either by computer or paddles).
  • Gear section 2,4,6 shifts into 2nd (this is the clunk that you hear like large bike when you shift it while pulling the clutch).
  • Clutch 1 disengages and (almost simultaneously) clutch 2 engages (this is when the RPM changes and you feel the finishing step of a shift).
The clunk is totally normal and part of all DCT's. It seems a bit louder in the Talon than a car but that is probably due to the smaller gearbox and lack of insulation so you hear just about everything going on back there.

MFG

MFG

Mar 14, 2019
East Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I changed mine to Mobile1 racing 4T for the motorcycles. It is fine on the clutches and it is noticeably quieter.

Reactions: Montecresto
B

bearphoto

Jun 15, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
The DCT is actually a split shaft manual transmission with 2 clutches that shifts via computer command and shift motors. It uses gears similar to a motorcycle and automatically shifts and applies the clutches for you. The noise you are hearing is similar to what you hear when you press the clutch and shift a large bike like a Harley.

The common misconception with a DCT is that the RPM change that feels like an automatic shifting is not the entire "shift" sequence but rather only the last part of it at the point when the transmission changes from one clutch to the other. The "Bang" (I actually describe it as a "Clunk") you are hearing is actually the transmission shifting the next or previous gear just prior to disengaging the engaged clutch and engaging the disengaged clutch. That clunk is the actual gear shifting. It is how a DCT works, the shift occurs something like this...
  • Gear section 2,4,6 shifts into 2nd (this is the clunk that you hear like large bike when you shift it while pulling the clutch).
  • Clutch 1 disengages and (almost simultaneously) clutch 2 engages (this is when the RPM changes and you feel the finishing step of a shift).
The clunk is totally normal and part of all DCT's. It seems a bit louder in the Talon than a car but that is probably due to the smaller gearbox and lack of insulation so you hear just about everything going on back there.
Great info Paul, thank you very much!

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Cajun-Abear

Cajun-Abear

Supporting Member
Dec 20, 2021
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Will this get louder or more pronounced over time? I have a 2021 model that I did a clutch pack at 400 miles, thanks to the previous owner. I never noticed the clunk from 1-2 or 2-3, only the clunking in reverse from the bad CV. I changed the axle around 50 miles ago and now I have 600 on the unit and it seems like the clunking is getting louder. I kept thinking it was the axle getting worse and worse. I finally figured out it was the clutch/tranny last night while playing with the manual shifting. I can hear it on upshifting and downshifting. Are you saying that this is normal? I swear that this started in the last 100 miles or so. I also did the clutch relearn procedure this afternoon and it didn't help the noise. TIA

Last edited:
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Will this get louder or more pronounced over time? I have a 2021 model that I did a clutch pack at 400 miles, thanks to the previous owner. I never noticed the clunk from 1-2 or 2-3, only the clunking in reverse from the bad CV. I changed the axle around 50 miles ago and now I have 600 on the unit and it seems like the clunking is getting louder. I kept thinking it was the axle getting worse and worse. I finally figured out it was the clutch/tranny last night while playing with the manual shifting. I can hear it on upshifting and downshifting. Are you saying that this is normal? I swear that this started in the last 100 miles or so. TIA
Can you take a video and post it? Might help diagnose what you're hearing

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I think it's just the shift solenoids doing their thing. I'm mechanically sympathetic and it drove me crazy for a while, now I just think it's a marvel of engineering. The gear whine is so loud, I always wear foam ear plugs anyway, even in my helmet. Hearing loss is permanent and progressive. And since it doesn't hurt (much) we ignore it until it's too late. #tinnitus24/7

No helmet? then these, giving 'hold my beer' rides in Montana. 😎
I JtPHbqV XL

Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I switched to Rotella T6 in the engine/DCT and it made shifting smoother and much quieter, almost no clunk or jerk even when cold. Synthetic in the differentials also quieted the gear whine. Synthetic in subtransmission also made gear selection to high/low/reverse easier. As others have posted, do not use a oil with moly in the engine/DCT

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!