BOX1

P500 New P500 not running right.. missing at higher RPMs ?

D

Deleted member 3748

2016 w 27" rubber will hit 42 on GPS....just a smidge faster than the red ones because it's blue....:p

Has anyone figured out if it's limiting based on the speedometer or from engine RPMs? I'm going to test this this wkd.
I think it might be a little of both. I've hit the rev limiter in every gear but I think in 5th I'm hitting a speed limiter.

D

Deleted member 3748

Apologies, should have made myself more clear...on my phone...sigh...

Don't care about the speed, although 42 mph would be better and was told 42 by the salesman and tech who walked through the bike with me..

Its the way the limiter is implemented.... spitting and sputtering is unacceptable. All the other honda ATVS I've had, and still have, are not controlled like that.. Limit, fine...just make it run smoothly at WOT....

Like every other manufacturer and the rest of the bikes they put out... that's all.

That's my gripe....
My very scientific research showed me that the speedometer with the stock tires is off by a few MPH. Like @906UP said, 27" tires will make it accurate and give you a few more MPH, though the speedometer will read the same speed... but you'll know you're going a little faster. ;)

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I think it might be a little of both. I've hit the rev limiter in every gear but I think in 5th I'm hitting a speed limiter.
I still have an old analog tachometer/dwell meter from my mechanic days....showing my age a bit... I'm going to see if I can get it to work to read the RPM. If it's strictly a rev limiter I'll go ahead with my idea of trying the Rancher gears on the output shaft but then the speedo will be worthless....will probably read 25% over. This is what happens when I'm on away for work and get bored, I start dreaming up things to try when I get home when I really should just leave it be.....LOL

D

Deleted member 3748

I still have an old analog tachometer/dwell meter from my mechanic days....showing my age a bit... I'm going to see if I can get it to work to read the RPM. If it's strictly a rev limiter I'll go ahead with my idea of trying the Rancher gears on the output shaft but then the speedo will be worthless....will probably read 25% over. This is what happens when I'm on away for work and get bored, I start dreaming up things to try when I get home when I really should just leave it be.....LOL
I have a video for that too! I'll be riding on Saturday and I'll check the rev-limiter RPMs in 2-4 then again in 5th and see what's up. If you get your tach to work I'd like to see it. An old Sun tach would look sweet in the dash.

Reactions: 906UP
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
After some very unscientific testing..... it's very apparent that there is a limiter on the rpms AND speed... In 3rd or 4th gear you can hit a rev limiter but the engine is screaming at that point, I'd guess 8000 rpms plus, it has a different feel than the speed limiter, engine just sort of hangs there, in 5th at 42 there is a definite cutout. This doesn't sound good for my idea of gearing UP....... I still really like the P5 but it may be time to consider an upgrade.

Reactions: Deleted member 3748
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Only way to go faster in P500? This trick or O Reilly Auto part 121G. It is what it is, but agree, sputter is bad design.

1F8D31B2 8FBB 4C41 A4CF 4DEB87362A93

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
After some very unscientific testing..... it's very apparent that there is a limiter on the rpms AND speed... In 3rd or 4th gear you can hit a rev limiter but the engine is screaming at that point, I'd guess 8000 rpms plus, it has a different feel than the speed limiter, engine just sort of hangs there, in 5th at 42 there is a definite cutout. This doesn't sound good for my idea of gearing UP....... I still really like the P5 but it may be time to consider an upgrade.

Anyone that revs the rpm's that high deserves to spit and sputter. o_O

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
Has anyone tried to disconnect the speedo to see if it will go faster? Computer may be looking at rpm and gear though, not just speedo. I think 42 is plenty fast for the p500 but would be curious to know its true top speed.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Has anyone tried to disconnect the speedo to see if it will go faster? Computer may be looking at rpm and gear though, not just speedo. I think 42 is plenty fast for the p500 but would be curious to know its true top speed.
Going to try this today, I'm certain it will cause other issues but want to prove it out.

Reactions: HUCK
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Going to try this today, I'm certain it will cause other issues but want to prove it out.
That went just as expected....LOL. Got up to about 20 mph and got the "--" on the dash and a check engine light. Oh well.....:(

TeamCheap

TeamCheap

Mar 10, 2018
southeast michigan
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
So we just need to find a way to pulse the speedo signal 1/2 or 2/3 normal so it's only seeing 40mph when in reality we are going 50-60 and bouncing around all over hanging on for dear life.

Reactions: 906UP
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
So we just need to find a way to pulse the speedo signal 1/2 or 2/3 normal so it's only seeing 40mph when in reality we are going 50-60 and bouncing around all over hanging on for dear life.
I was thinking about it this morning on my drive to Detroit.....had a lot of time....put 415 miles on the Corolla today....anyway, I wonder if a ECU from a Rancher would work? Get one from a 2015-2018 420 with electric shift..... my only "concern" would be the fuel map but it's only a 55cc difference so I don't think it would be an issue. I'd probably do a few WFO runs with the 500 ECU and take some temp readings on the headpipe as a baseline then do the same after the swap just to see if it's running hotter. Both use the same sensors & fuel injector and I wouldn't be surprised if the fuel map was the same, Honda isn't one to "reinvent the wheel". I started looking for a used one but they were close to the price of new at $154. So it's a $200 gamble.....ecu & gears....to see if it'd work. Hmmmm...... I do have a couple hundred coming back after returning the Silent Rider o_O

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!