P500 New P500 not running right.. missing at higher RPMs ?

TeamCheap

TeamCheap

Mar 10, 2018
southeast michigan
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
Don't know what the rest of you are experiencing but 42 has it screaming enough in 5th, feels like it needs another gear, not more rpm's. o_O
Ours topped out dead on 40mph but it didn't even feel like it was doing 40.

I'd love to know what RPM's it's turning when topped out in 5th it is noisy but hardly wound out.

I think 40 is the safe speed for such a narrow, short wheelbase vehicle but even my KingQuad 400 will do 52MPH which is about good.

Reactions: Yota87
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Good news, I think it will do the trick although I wouldn't doubt if those folks at honda found a way to block it as well.

so what are you going to use as an independent speedo to verify results ?

can not hardly wait for the update.

Garmin Nuvi 67LM gps......good as anything I guess. Currently the speedo reads +1mph on average from GPS with 27" tires.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Don't know what the rest of you are experiencing but 42 has it screaming enough in 5th, feels like it needs another gear, not more rpm's. o_O
I agree, the purpose of this test is to see if I can "trick" the speedo/limiter. If I can I'll order a set of 420 Rancher final shaft gears, it will give about a 20-25% overdrive for all gears. I think it might do the trick but want to make sure I can get around the electronic nannies before I tear into the engine/trans.

I'm not looking to make a racer out of this, that's something it'll never be...... I'd just like to be able to run at 25-35mph without it sounding like it's coming apart. Drop the rpm's across all the gear ratios.....

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I agree, the purpose of this test is to see if I can "trick" the speedo/limiter. If I can I'll order a set of 420 Rancher final shaft gears, it will give about a 20-25% overdrive for all gears. I think it might do the trick but want to make sure I can get around the electronic nannies before I tear into the engine/trans.

I'm not looking to make a racer out of this, that's something it'll never be...... I'd just like to be able to run at 25-35mph without it sounding like it's coming apart. Drop the rpm's across all the gear ratios.....
I got the "doo-dad" installed, started at -16% but the P5 didn't like it, at about 25mph indicated the engine started to cut out and got the "-" on the dash, turned it down to -10% and was able to run it wide open w no issues except now the "speed limiter" cuts out at 34mph indicated/41mph on GPS.

This leads me to believe there really isnt a speed limiter but there is a lower RPM limit when in 5th so the speedo gadget is a dud.....in this application :(

Edit.....as I sit here having a couple beers..... this still might work, if I install the Rancher gears and get the speed ratio correct it might work. Need a few more beers to think about it :)

Last edited:
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Are we egging you on by liking your posts?
Haha.....no.... I sat down did some calculations, I think I have the math worked out. It would be alot easier if I could hack into that little black box under the seat to see what's really going on. Besides....I had a couple big mile weeks this month running around to customers......that means BIG expense checks :) The gears weren't that much.....gears, seals, oil filter for under $75 from RMATV, I'll be gone for the next 3 weeks so I'll start the conversion when I get back. Just not sure what the Mrs. will think when I start tearing down the back of the engine to get to them....

TeamCheap

TeamCheap

Mar 10, 2018
southeast michigan
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
I got the "doo-dad" installed, started at -16% but the P5 didn't like it, at about 25mph indicated the engine started to cut out and got the "-" on the dash, turned it down to -10% and was able to run it wide open w no issues except now the "speed limiter" cuts out at 34mph indicated/41mph on GPS.

This leads me to believe there really isnt a speed limiter but there is a lower RPM limit when in 5th so the speedo gadget is a dud.....in this application :(

Edit.....as I sit here having a couple beers..... this still might work, if I install the Rancher gears and get the speed ratio correct it might work. Need a few more beers to think about it :)
Well that's not what I wanted to hear thanks for the update.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I rechecked my math this morning over coffee instead of beer..... The speed pick up is read off the 30t gear on the final shaft. With the SpeedDRD set at -18% it should send the same signal to the ECM with the Rancher 25/37 gears vs the P5's 16/30 gears.

G

GreenBush

Jun 3, 2018
The Motor City !!
Ownership

1. 500
Question for you guys..... Thinking about this I want to add a little tachometer..

I'm thinking something like this:

Hour Meter, Digital Tachometer, Gauge | 8 Cylinder Engine

This has a 60" pick up wire.... How long of a wire would I need to get to the dash to the plug wire ? To route it correctly, 60"
doesn't sound long enough... I'll probably email them to see if it can be extended...

JollyJoker

JollyJoker

Jan 19, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
Question for you guys..... Thinking about this I want to add a little tachometer..

I'm thinking something like this:

Hour Meter, Digital Tachometer, Gauge | 8 Cylinder Engine

This has a 60" pick up wire.... How long of a wire would I need to get to the dash to the plug wire ? To route it correctly, 60"
doesn't sound long enough... I'll probably email them to see if it can be extended...

GreenBush- I installed a tachometer that I bought off Amazon. I extended the pick-up wire that raps around the spark plug wire and it works great.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
@906UP , is yours a 2017 with a forced auto downshift? Thinking the earlier ones without AT don’t have it.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
@906UP , is yours a 2017 with a forced auto downshift? Thinking the earlier ones without AT don’t have it.
Nope, 2016....

G

GreenBush

Jun 3, 2018
The Motor City !!
Ownership

1. 500
I rechecked my math this morning over coffee instead of beer..... The speed pick up is read off the 30t gear on the final shaft. With the SpeedDRD set at -18% it should send the same signal to the ECM with the Rancher 25/37 gears vs the P5's 16/30 gears.

Had any time to revisit the whole Rancher/Franken~P5 thing yet brother ??

Just curious.....:)

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Had any time to revisit the whole Rancher/Franken~P5 thing yet brother ??

Just curious.....:)
I just got back from a 3 week stint in Mexico(work). I have all the parts....Rancher gears, Speedo Dr, seals, etc.... Planning to tear down today, also installing the Torq Locker ;)

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!