P500 New P500 not running right.. missing at higher RPMs ?

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Recall a member from New Zealand a while back, wonder if the limits are US only or on overseas models?

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
I was thinking about it this morning on my drive to Detroit.....had a lot of time....put 415 miles on the Corolla today....anyway, I wonder if a ECU from a Rancher would work? Get one from a 2015-2018 420 with electric shift..... my only "concern" would be the fuel map but it's only a 55cc difference so I don't think it would be an issue. I'd probably do a few WFO runs with the 500 ECU and take some temp readings on the headpipe as a baseline then do the same after the swap just to see if it's running hotter. Both use the same sensors & fuel injector and I wouldn't be surprised if the fuel map was the same, Honda isn't one to "reinvent the wheel". I started looking for a used one but they were close to the price of new at $154. So it's a $200 gamble.....ecu & gears....to see if it'd work. Hmmmm...... I do have a couple hundred coming back after returning the Silent Rider o_O

What about a foreman ecu, isnt it the same engine and trans?

Reactions: Remington
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
What about a foreman ecu, isnt it the same engine and trans?
Foreman uses the same gears as the P5 on the output shaft, it would be the same but may get rid of the speed limiter.....? I'm trying to gear up a bit so the engine doesn't scream at 30 mph plus.

Got my threads mixed up..... I was thinking of this thread
P500 - Possible to gear UP....? Maybe....

Last edited:
Reactions: Remington
sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
Foreman uses the same gears as the P5 on the output shaft, it would be the same but may get rid of the speed limiter.....? I'm trying to gear up a bit so the engine doesn't scream at 30 mph plus.

Got my threads mixed up..... I was thinking of this thread
P500 - Possible to gear UP....? Maybe....

Gotcha, you could always get some 30" tires for it hehe. That would gear it up 25% from the stock 24s.

Reactions: 906UP
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Gotcha, you could always get some 30" tires for it hehe. That would gear it up 25% from the stock 24s.
The thought has crossed my mind....lol

G

GreenBush

Jun 3, 2018
The Motor City !!
Ownership

1. 500
Hmmmmmm........... I just happen to have a 2012 Foreman 500 ES and a 2013 Rancher 420 with ES/Auto ..........

I just might have to look into doing a little experimenting...... Great ideas guys.....

IMO, not rolling or going too fast is my responsibility and in my hands....not a machine's.... But I do know about all the lawyer~speak, bla...bla...bla.....

Last edited:
TeamCheap

TeamCheap

Mar 10, 2018
southeast michigan
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
Hmmmmmm........... I just happen to have a 2012 Foreman 500 ES and a 2013 Rancher 420 with ES/Auto ..........

I just might have to look into doing a little experimenting...... Great ideas guys.....

IMO, not rolling or going too fast is in responsibility and in my hands....not a machine's.... But I do know about all the lawyer~speak, bla...bla...bla.....
Anything to report?

I wonder if this could be hooked up to the P5, Healtech Electronics Speedohealer would need to know the harness type to start with.

EDIT: maybe the SH-H0XU01 version would work, it's for the HONDA TRX ATVs [FI model] More research is needed.

This explains how to hook a speedohealer up Healtech Electronics Speedohealer. Sounds like you find the signal wire for the speedo and cut the wire and hook this in between to allow altering the speedo signal.Signal goes into speedohealer at factory rate and comes out to what you want it to be.
More research needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 906UP
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Anything to report?

I wonder if this could be hooked up to the P5, Healtech Electronics Speedohealer would need to know the harness type to start with.

EDIT: maybe the SH-H0XU01 version would work, it's for the HONDA TRX ATVs [FI model] More research is needed.

This explains how to hook a speedohealer up Healtech Electronics Speedohealer. Sounds like you find the signal wire for the speedo and cut the wire and hook this in between to allow altering the speedo signal.Signal goes into speedohealer at factory rate and comes out to what you want it to be.
More research needed.

SpeedoDRD

I found this one, $79.95, they have a model for Honda ATV & Pioneers. :)

Edit: I ordered one, we'll see how it works

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Very cool and thanks !....Please keep us informed !
Will do, hopefully I get it before next wkd, if not it'll be a month before I can install. I'll be in Mexico for work from 7/1-7/20 :mad:

TeamCheap

TeamCheap

Mar 10, 2018
southeast michigan
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
Seen it on AMAZON $70 but I want to add a trailtech voyager to the mix to have real temp numbers, tach and real wheel speed plus the GPS would be nice.

So with the speedoDRD or similar device the speedometer on the P5 will still read 40MPH when it hits the NEW set limit but in reality the P5 could actually be going 50-55+ since the device is just changing the pulses the P5 ECM is counting to limit speed.

It should work fine if that is the only upper speed limiter well there is the RPM limit but I doubt anyone would want to run a P5 in all 5 gears to the RPM limit.LOL

G

GreenBush

Jun 3, 2018
The Motor City !!
Ownership

1. 500
Seen it on AMAZON $70 but I want to add a trailtech voyager to the mix to have real temp numbers, tach and real wheel speed plus the GPS would be nice.

So with the speedoDRD or similar device the speedometer on the P5 will still read 40MPH when it hits the NEW set limit but in reality the P5 could actually be going 50-55+ since the device is just changing the pulses the P5 ECM is counting to limit speed.

It should work fine if that is the only upper speed limiter well there is the RPM limit but I doubt anyone would want to run a P5 in all 5 gears to the RPM limit.LOL

What is the RPM limit on these bikes ??

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
What is the RPM limit on these bikes ??
someone posted 8000 but I have no way to knowing for sure I haven't looked it up myself yet.

It's up there, I still haven't connected my old meter.....because I can't remember where it is o_O

The engine is nowhere near the rev limit when the 42mph limiter kicks in, I bounced it off the rev limiter in 4th just to see.....probably not the smartest move but it wouldn't be the 1st time I've blown an engine doing stupid things...... :D

TeamCheap

TeamCheap

Mar 10, 2018
southeast michigan
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
It's up there, I still haven't connected my old meter.....because I can't remember where it is o_O

The engine is nowhere near the rev limit when the 42mph limiter kicks in, I bounced it off the rev limiter in 4th just to see.....probably not the smartest move but it wouldn't be the 1st time I've blown an engine doing stupid things...... :D
I'm thinking getting it up to an actual 50-55MPH in 5th will still be pretty low on the RPM's.
I like the combo in/out plugs on the speedoDRD unit but I may try the other unit because it has the stock button and the tweaked button option.

Last edited:
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
The doo-dad arrived today, my daughter messaged me that a package arrived. I'm still on the road so it'll be late Friday or early Saturday for install & testing. I'll update.....:)

TeamCheap

TeamCheap

Mar 10, 2018
southeast michigan
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
The doo-dad arrived today, my daughter messaged me that a package arrived. I'm still on the road so it'll be late Friday or early Saturday for install & testing. I'll update.....:)
Good news, I think it will do the trick although I wouldn't doubt if those folks at honda found a way to block it as well.

so what are you going to use as an independent speedo to verify results ?

can not hardly wait for the update.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!