Talon New reviews?

D

Dwight

Oct 25, 2015
Kansas
Come on guys, surely these have been out long enough to have more reviews. I'm particularly interested in mountain trails and rock crawling. Mostly slow technical trails and Moab style rock crawling.
Thanks
Dwight

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Also interested for slow trails/rock crawling, Talon vs P1000. Saw some reviews of a jerky gas pedal for slow conditions, and that a P1000 may have better over the hood sight lines.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Honestly, had I done a review about this part of the machine in the first 250 miles, It would not have been very favorable. I had all the same complaints as many others but I gave it (and me) some time to break in before I decided to give any type of review. At 1000 miles, my Talon is a very different and MUCH better machine to me and my wife.

My wife is not much of a wheeler and hated its ride and jerky feel when we first got it enough that she would not ride in it much and missed miles 250 through 750 completely. I coaxed her into a ride a few weeks ago when it had about 750 miles on it and she commented on how smooth it was and asked what I had changed. The only suspension change I made at that time was that I backed off the rear crossover rings 21 turns (1.5") and that helped a little. She now happily rides with me on occasion and no more complaints about the ride quality. Any review in the first 500 miles should be taken with a grain of salt in my opinion.

When I first got the machine, I too was concerned about technical riding but after the springs, shocks and clutch settle/break in and the throttle cable is adjusted and the rear crossover rings backed off (and probably a little time behind the wheel to get used to operating the machine), the jerkyness is all but gone for me at 1000 miles.

I have done a fair amount of mountain trail riding and some technical rock crawling and have absolutely no complaints. Throttle is predictable, no jerking and smooth clutch engagement. I will say that technical riding must be done in Manual and Low range to be the most predictable. My R went anywhere I wanted with ease in a smooth, predictable fashion. Albeit it was no Moab where I was but still challenging enough to rate it a 7 out of 10 in my book.

As far as over the hood sight, I would rate that as fair. I came from a Rhino and have driven my BIL's RZR 800 Trail (and some other machines to some extent) and there is a noticable difference going to the Talon but I have gotten used to it. Getting rid of the window nets also made it easier to look out and see where the left side tires are placed. I am 6' 4" tall and have even raised my seat about 1" and that helped a lot. Shorter drivers may have a harder time acclimating to the cockpit.

The only other valid complaint I see is turning radius. It SUCKS in an R so you will need to change your driving style if you get one. The X is better but I have no experience with one. I did not buy my R for trail riding, I bought it mainly for duning and the turning radius doesn't bother me at all. The occasional 6 (or 8) point turn is worth it to me :)

The only thing left about the suspension that bothered me was a little wheel hop under certain conditions and some bunny hopping at high speeds over rough terrain. Both conditions due to too stiff of springs so I decided to install the Shock Therapy spring set. I only have about 50 miles in sand with paddles on them and still need to fine tune them but so far there is a BIG difference in ride. Hookup is much better and the occasional rear wheel hop that was still happening in certain sand conditions is completely gone. High speed over rough terrain is so much better, it is like a different machine. Once I get them fine tuned and some more miles on these springs in different terrain, I will do a full review.

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Also looking forward to reviews of the X in tight woods and rocky trail climbs!
THANKS

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Also looking forward to reviews of the X in tight woods and rocky trail climbs!
THANKS

@Tigermark any first impressions from today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Tigermark and I went up into snowy 4x4 trails today. It was the first time having it in the snow. It was a really warm wet and heavy snow. Although the conditions could have been much better. I was impressed being out with 5 other Polaris machines from turboed, to n/a, a 4 seater and a general. The trails had some side hill sections where a few friends slipped from the trail and every one had to get out and help to keep them from slipping down some hills that could have ended very badly. I know tire psi helps a lot, but I started to notice and pay attention at how all of them started out from a stop and there belt engagement, would right out of the gate cause their rear ends to break traction and start to slip on side hills. In my X I didn’t have any issues. My machine is at 850 miles now, and ran low 80% of the day. The clutch engagement is now smooth as silk. If you would have asked me 2 months ago I would have completely agreed that the clutch engagement was twitchy. I don’t think it is me getting used to the machine. My pioneer 1000 was the same way until the first oil change. I think the talon x might have taken an extra few hundred miles. I now think it’s smoother than my pioneer was.

In terms of the suspension. It probably isn’t the best on the market straight out of the box from the dealer. Below 10 mph I feel more small bumps and chop than I did on my pioneer with fox shocks. But speed up just a tiny bit more to say 15 and the small chop smoothes out and when it comes to hard deep bumps, it stays planted and I have yet to find the bottom of the shocks. I will end up doing something with the rear springs. Probably this winter. Just haven’t had the chance to tear it down because I can’t stop wanting to drive the thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!